Greater Manchester Police Museum
Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Friendly staff and great experience

Reviewed 5 days ago

from $22.20
from $15.70
from $15.70
More Info
All reviews court room ex police police station police uniforms police force magistrates court newton street original cells holding cells school holidays victorian era couple of hours all ages half term interesting place to visit step back in time visited today
Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

We had a friendly tour guide and the general atmosphere was amazing. The police gadgets on show all tell a story and the hidden dummy in the cell gave me a fright. Brilliant day! Even stopped at the gift shop to buy some goodies.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We visited on 30th of October 2018 and we had an absolutely amazing time and to be able to see genuine items and meeting volunteers from the police force was an honour. So much information to see and read and how much things have changed over the years.

We were able to see actual cells, uniform for both men and women, motorbikes, court room, information about officers who sadly died in line of duty and so much more and they made good use of the space. Every room had a story to tell with officers full of information and extremely friendly with children.

My daughter wants to join the police force and we came here for her 17th birthday treat and it was well worth the visit and the 2 hour drive.

It is wheelchair and pushchair friendly as we had two pushchairs. There are plenty of parking places around the museum. We paid £3 for two hours. There is a gift shop and a donation box and l wish everyone who visited felt proud to be donating as we did :)

Thank you very much for making us feel welcome and for all the information you shared with us :)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My Daughter and I visited today and I can say that as an ex Special Constable I found the museum very interesting as did my Daughter. Staff are very welcoming and informative. Was good to be able to try on the old uniforms and they have no issues with you taking photos of any of the exhibits. Well worth a visit and making a donation as there is no admission charge. Gift shop was reasonably priced too.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My Daughter and I visited here whilst in Manchester for an event the previous evening. Lots to see and staff very informative. As an ex Special Constable I found it very interesting. Was great to be able to dress up in the old uniforms. Well worth a visit and making a donation towards the upkeep as there is no admission charge. Gift shop also very reasonably priced.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had been talking about visiting for quite some time, and finally we did manage to have a Tuesday available for a trip to Manchester.

It is not the biggest of places, but then I doubt many Victorian, Inner City police stations were all that spacious.

Displays were very informative and interesting and it was great to see how the uniforms and equipment has changed over the years. Also nice to see the 'Bobby Dazzler' taking pride in place on the top shelf in the head wear cabinet. Pun intended. Two helmets were made for the 2016 Manchester Pride and they were quite the statement piece.

Round the back were the entrance to the old station, cells and the court and we were very surprised to hear that the cells were still in use in the 1970's. The volunteer in the booking area told us how she used to take offenders there when she was still a beat cop.
The cells were quite small, and I struggle to imagine a busy Saturday Night with up to 14 people in each cell. Must have been awful and hopefully served as a deterrent for some.

It was very busy due to half terms, so we did have to queue a bit at the different displays and the small gift shop was a bit tricky to negotiate. Don't let that put you off though - It is a great museum and the staff are very friendly and happy to answer any questions. What really made the day for us was the lady in the booking area - So rare to talk to someone with experience of it being a working police station.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

One of the best museum I have ever visited! Small but beautiful and full of history and interesting facts. The best thing is the staff, retired Police Officers that really show their passion and knowledge about the history and their own experience on the field!
Really, the most nice and friendly staff I have ever met!

I highly recommend to visit the museum, looking forward to take my family there!
Great great great experience!

Cheers,

Francesco Ferrari

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This museum is open for free entry on a Tuesday. It is on the site of a previous police station. Along with many exhibits, you can also visit the old cells and the magistrates court upstairs, which has been moved from a previous location and re-built on site. The guides, who are ex-police are very knowledgeable, interesting and friendly. I would certainly recommend this!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Only small but great place to visit for all ages. Items on display from several years ago plus up to date making it really interesting plus the court section

Reviewed October 6, 2018

This is a very interesting place highlighting the development of the police force. The friendly and knowledgeable staff, who themselves have all worked for the police, are very interesting to talk to, as they provide a fascinating insight into their jobs and the selfless acts they preformed on a daily basis. The experience was both thought-provoking and educational. I even had the chance to wear a police uniform which was great! A big thank you to those wonderful ladies and gents working there!

Reviewed September 28, 2018

I absolutely loved this museum. Really interesting, friendly, informative staff and the displays are fantastic.
You can dress up in various police jackets and helmets from over the years and go into the holding cells.
It’s only open on a Tuesday but if you can make it then I highly recommend you do.