“Comfortable stay with friendly staff”

Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park
Ranked #66 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Dublin, Ireland
“Comfortable stay with friendly staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed on a Saturday night after a Manchester United match. The hotel is on the other side of town in relation to Old Trafford and requires a trip across town. It's too far to walk into city centre so buses are just outside or a tram station about 5 min walk. The rooms were clean and comfortable with free wi-fi around the hotel. The corridors could do with some freshening up. The bar served good food until late at night and the staff were very friendly. Buffet breakfast was included and it was pretty average, some fresh fruit would have been nice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
JaneOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your recent feedback following on from your stay at the hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable sty with us and that the hotel facilities met your requirements.

Whether feedback be positive or negative it always helps us to strive to improve our service and quality so thank you for your comments.

Kind regards,

Jane O'Mahony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

As part of our new year eve celebrations in Manchester, we needed somewhere comfortable to stay. Rooms were nice, clean and comfy, very polite professional staff. Breakfast was just ok and restaurant has limited permanent menu.

With free standard internet wireless access in all areas, spacious car parking and located approximately 2 miles from Manchester City Centre and Manchester City FC, Etihad Stadium.

You have the option of upgrading to a spacious executive room with extras such as a minibar. Only negative there is no gym facilities available. Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following on from your stay at the Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park.

I am glad that we were able to be part of making your New Years Eve comfortable and relaxed.

I do hope that if you are visiting Manchester again that you will choose to stay with us.

Kind regards,

chichester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed here for one Saturday night while on a course in Manchester. I paid £140 through LateRooms on a BB rate. The room was clean if not on the compact side and slightly shabby and tired. The rest of the hotel was extremely tired and had almost a hospital odour in the public areas. Breakfast was about as basic as you can possibly make a 'buffet' with sausages that appeared almost prehistoric alongside scrambled egg that could have been used to build a car park.

I have no particular complaints about the staff who did the minimum.

If this had been £40 a night it would have been accpetable, but for £140 you except something a little better. Holiday Inn really do need to give this hotel some attention.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank shreddie1
JaneOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback following on from your recent visit to the hotel.

All feedback is welcome as it helps us to improve out product, quality and service.

regards,

Jane O'Mahony

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I recently reviewed a 4 star property in Brussels( and some others too) that was a beautiful hotel fit for royalty...how this Holiday Inn could assume to have earned an equal rating is beyond me. I did Google how star ratings are figured and it does seem a misleading system and hotels apparently able to state the level of their choice. AA/RCA etc are actually visited and appointed ratings based on more of a set criteria.
We had booked 2 king bed smoking rooms back in March via bookings.com. 4 smokers and 2 men over 6 foot 5 found this a perfect choice. On arrival,we were told they did not have our reservations. The manager (who seemed about 23 years old) was called to the desk. He rolled his eyes and said "Oh,not bookings.com again" as if it was something that had happened a lot. I showed my confirmation on my tablet and the manager left to call the help line.He returned saying they were faxing the confirmation they had sent back in March. He said they had 1 king smoking and 2 twin non smoking available for the 2 nights we needed them and blamed bookings for the error.
I went outside and called the help line and it was explained that Holiday Inn,by their choice,had chosen an intermediate company that receives the confirmations and then is supposed to send them to the hotel. So,having used Bookings many dozens of times in the past worldwide without a hitch,I determined this was Holiday Inns error.
As we had a show to attend and we had been at the desk for over 30 minutes,we decided to take the 1 twin and the remaining king room. The manager stated they could push the twin beds together in the morning.
We all went upstairs only to find we had rooms next door to each other,both with twin beds pushed together and both non smoking. As we were now running late for the show,we changed and left for the night out.
The next morning,the housekeeper came to say she was there to push the beds together. No need. But,she went into our friends room and simply put a double sheet and duvet over the 2 twin beds as if this would cover the gap between the 2 mattresses. It didn't and the beds separated several times through the night leading to much discomfort as now they were stuck with only 1 set of covers to share.
We had only been issued 1 card key each. I went to reception for a second and found it didn't work. On the FOURTH trip to reception to get the card re-set,the young manager was there with a trainee. He said he would be with me in 2 minutes and continued to show her a procedure on the computer rather than stop to help me. Sad service in my mind. He said he was sorry for the trouble with the key,looked through a box of blank cards and made the annoying statement "Here,let me give you a proper key" Well,why didn't they do that in the first place? (the replacement card was different from the one that didn't work)

We had breakfast both mornings and although most of the chairs looked as if they had been used as plates and were filthy,the food was decent and had a good variety. The ladies working the breakfast buffet were working very hard and did a fantastic job of keeping a full restaurant running and everyone happy. Outstanding compared to reception and management. (they had run out of coffee about 25 minutes before end of breakfast.) They said only instant was available. Obviously they could see that wasn't what I wanted and they then offered to get me a real coffee from the bar. GOOD SERVICE yet again from the nice,over worked ladies.
The rooms were clean and pretty comfortable,at least in our room. The decor was pretty dull and basic with a rack for clothing rather than a wardrobe and side tables without drawers The bathroom wasn't anything like the photos on the web site and the complimentary toiletries consisted of a bottle of Dove soap/shampoo in the tub and Dove soap at the sink Towels were good and fluffy and the shower had good pressure. TV was very small but ok. There was a plastic holder with TV listings and other hotel info in it. Again,not what you expect in 4 star. The TV stations listed showed about 9 channels. However,the tv had more like 30,so that needs an update.
My friends went downstairs to check out. The woman at reception was the same one who checked us in and had made all the corrections to the reservations. She told my friend his bill was £340, the full tariff posted on the wall at reception. He explained this was not correct and she had the nerve to say "Yes it is,I have your receipt in front of me" He called me and I went down to see what was going on. Surely she remembered us from 1.5 days before after 30 odd minutes of getting things sorted. Perhaps not,but to challenge a guest with that attitude is not acceptable.
Having stayed in Holiday Inns before and being quite satisfied,I am shocked at how poor the whole experience was on this trip. To be perfectly fair,in the times I observed what was going on at reception,the person with the best skills was the trainee.
Not impressed Holiday Inn!!

Room Tip: Why bother..we didn't get what we reserved anyway.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent feedback following on from your stay at the hotel.

Although we do strive to provide the best service experience, clearly on this occasion we did not get it right.

There was obviously an error with your booking and the conformation and I apologize for any inconvenience caused as a result of this.

It was refreshing to read that the Breakfast team were helpful.

All of the Holiday Inn Bathrooms offer complimentary soap and shower gel as standard. We are in the process of looking to upgrade all of the bedroom TV's.

From reading your lengthy feedback, we clearly did not get in right on this occasion. If you wish to contact the hotel I will be happy to speak with you directly and privately in regards to your feedback.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is not located in the best part of town, although it's not far from Piccadilly station. The site is surrounded by high steel fencing, giving it the feel of a compound rather than an hotel. I wouldn't have left the premises on foot as it didn't feel too safe (and I have a black belt in judo!!)

Conferencing facilities are woefully under-staffed, meaning that it is hard to get hold of a staff member and that refreshments are not kept properly topped up in the Academy. Bins in the loos are constantly overflowing as they are not large enough for paper towels, nor are they emptied with sufficient frequency.

Communication between departments is evidently problematic e.g. Restaurant staff apparently unaware of what conferences are going on, so misdirect people to the wrong lunches, causing knock-on problems.

There is a car space for 'lady guests' - never seen that one before, probably because it is discriminatory and patronising.

Dinner menu is limited and, since it's a trek into town, it's basically Hobson's choice unless you have a car and know where to park.

On a positive note, rooms are at the normal HI standard - perfectly adequate for a 5 night business stay. When you see them, staff are generally friendly and helpful - often apologetic.

Problems identified above are, I feel, down to plain old lax management. The building itself is relatively modern and mostly clean.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review following on from your stay at the hotel. Whether feedback be positive or negative, we always use the feedback to improve our service, quality and standards which we pride ourselves on.

Although the hotel is just out of the town centre it is in a safe area.

Each department communicates effectively to each other and a daily briefing meeting is held each morning so we ensure that communication is key to know in the days business.

In regards to the car parking spaces, these are IHG approved, without their approval the hotel would not have them as we have to be consistently compliant with brand standards.

As I have just appointed a new Head Chef I am pleased to announce that from January 2014 the Restaurant, Bar and Room Service menus will be re-launched with a wide variety of dishes and seasonal favorites too.

I can assure you that the management style is not old or lax and as I have only recently joined the hotel we are making good headway with refurbishment programs, staff training and customer engagement.

Again, thank you for your feed back.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Overall, a good hotel. The room was clean and warm, the staff were really friendly and helpful. I has dinner at the hotel, was a good meal at a reasonable price for a hotel. Breakfast was nice as well, but maybe a bit dear at £9.99. It's about £7 for a taxi from the city centre. There is a tram and bus stop near by.

Only downsides - not a waterfall shower as advertised and the wifi was a bit weak. Maybe the refurbishment will sort that. However, it didn't spoil the stay, and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent feed back following in from your visit to the hotel.

It was good to read the positive feedback about the hotel team as they pride themselves on delivering great customer service.

We have just installed additional WIFI points within the hotel to strengthen the signal during busy times. I hope that is you visit us again you will notice a big difference in this.

Many thanks for your comments.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business for 2 nights, as a priority club gold member with a business account, my accommodation was poor, the room 303 was tatty, the headboard had a large hole in it with the covering peeling off of which there was more on my pillow in the morning ...yuk. The view from my window was of the brick wall 6ft opposite giving the distinct feeling you were in a prison cell. Didn't eat here so can't comment on the food as I felt undervalued and gave my custom to the local eateries.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Dear Shotokan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are pleased to see such high scores for Service and Cleanliness. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they help us identify areas that could benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D