“Functional and Friendly... but...”

Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park
Ranked #66 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
cumbria
“Functional and Friendly... but...”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The staff are the best asset in this hotel, really welcoming and helpful. And as others have said it is well located and other pluses included free parking with bays near door for women travelling alone... but there are so many things that let it down that I left feeling rather uninspired. Its one of those hotels that looks great on line but truely once there it just felt cheap and a bit seedy.

The Hotel customer base seemed to be lots of male contractors and coach trip stop overs. The guys were in the bar, a lot of them, and though they didn't bother me it was a beery footbally atmosphere and a bit off putting,

My room was good sized nice big bed and clean but the leather headboards.... are ... well ... hmm!! What on earth goes on there?? Mine was all plucked and scratched as if a cat had sharpened its claws on it. Someone else in the hotel mentioned theres was blad in patches, the leather worn away! Then I heard a cat like noise, perhaps it was stuck in the room next door.. moaning and yowling...least sounded like a cat! To drown out the noise I thought Id have a shower. when i got out the steam has revealed a lovers note drawn on the mirror by finger tip. Also the corridors smelt very very odd! Cats again perhaps!

Good team, but sorry to say I wont return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
JaneOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
thank you for taking the time to feed back to us about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Central Park Manchester.

I would like to introduce myself to you as the new Hotel General Manager.

I was please to read that the team were helpful and friendly during your stay.

The hotel has a mixed bag of business users, some being contractors who are in the process of completing a large project in the area.

I can assure you that the hotel does not have any pets within the property, certainly no cats! In regards to the furnishings, I am currently in the process of scheduling a refurbishment program to repair items which need care and attention, all of the work is due to be complete by the end of November.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Regards,
Jane O'Mahony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Nice friendly hotel, some rooms looking tied. Bar Manager great personality and very efficient. Parking free, bonus for Manchester. Food nice and breakfast plenty of choice albeit buffet style.
Phone was not working in my room so had to call hotel from mobile to order room service food. Still was not fixed on my second night stay after advising staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager888, Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hi

Thank you for your review , I have passed on your positive comments regarding the service to the team , but my apologies that your phone issue was not resolved during your stay - this is something I will look into further to ensure that it does not happen again.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Operations manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Booked 2 nights here as had business in Manchester.
The free parking is good as is the location - less than 10 minutes into the centre of town.
The rooms have air conditioning, as well as opening windows both of which were appreciated in the heat.
Room is well laid out with a desk, sofa and a King bed. Bathroom is sufficient but tidy and clean.

The front office staff were great. We had to try 2 rooms before getting one which wasn't smoked in and had the lighting working. Both issues were dealt with efficiently and quickly by the staff. All the staff we had contact with were friendly and nice. When we had a bunch of idiot kids (teens/young males) hollering and making a pain of themselves, the front office staff got them sorted quickly and we all got to sleep. I did note there was a rather lot of slammed doors the next morning but from the rooms around the culprits. This can happen in any hotel and the point here is the staff acted on it rather than ignore it.

We had dinner the first night which I thought was good value, as they were smaller Tapas style plates. For around the price of 2 mains we had 3 choices to share all of which was well made.

We didn't try breakfast either morning but it was an additional 10 pound each. Knowing the typical hot selections I didn't want to pay for it and went to a nice cafe.

For a business stop over this was ample. WiFi is free through O2 and although you have to sign up and probably get lots of junk mail at least it's not Premier Inn with a miserable 30 minutes free.

I'd stay again as the parking and food facilities are very welcome after a long day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hi

Thank you for you review - considering the problems you encountered with the room moves & noise from other guests I was pleased to see that this did not impact your stay with us & the issues were dealt with quickly & satisfactory .

I have passed on your kind comments to all the team

Operations Manager
UK
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on business before so when returning for leisure and finding the Oxford Road HI Express full, I thought I would go back to Central Park.

Many city centre hotels don't have any parking or charge for it in a nearby car park but this place has adequate free parking and the best way to get around the area is by bus so leave the car behind without worrying about the charges.

This is a comfortable hotel and the food is good. Because it is out of the city centre, the rates are a bit cheaper so adding a full breakfast on was worth it.

Have visited twice now and would not hesitate to return. They do need to sort out the bar service though - there is never anyone serving and after a longer than you want wait, someone appears like the shopkeeper on Mr Benn!

Room Tip: Some rooms face the main road (A62), but it is a lot quieter at night than during the day.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManager888, Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Hi

Thank you for your kind comments , I have passed on your experience of the bar service to the relevant team members -

Thanks Again

Deputy Manager
Manchester
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed 2 nights tried to order room service and phone in room broke so had to ring hotel from mobile. The next day still not fixed. Only small issue I know but as a solo female guest this should have been taken into consideration for security reasons.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

1 Thank Ellie S
Dear Ellie S

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

My sincere apologies that the issue you had with your phone was not resolved , this is a simple fixable issue which we failed to action during your stay.

I hope to welcome you back again soon to Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park

Deputy Manager.
scunthorpe
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel is not a 4 star establishment. Our headboard was ripped as were the seats in the bar, there is no lounge - just seats in the bar. They advertise outdoor terraces with a lovely picture, on a hot summers evening we asked where they were, only to be told - upstairs but they are not open today! The staff were friendly, especially the bar man, who was trying to man the bar (which is poorly stocked, not much variety at ridiculous prices, when asked why so high, was told city centre prices) while also laying out the buffet evening dinner. Then he also doubled as the restaurant waiter. The food is o.k. - not good, breakfast is better than dinner. The hotel is surrounded by high security fencing, parking o.k.

Room Tip: try another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank jo f
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear jo f,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and surpass the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I am truly sorry for the poor experienc you had in our bar and restaurant area. I sincerely apologize for the poor experience and service issues you have encountered.

I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Arrived and was greeted with the most dour receptionist I have ever encountered. No recognition of the fact that we were Priority Club Members, waited 10 minutes at the bar before a member of staff finally emerged (he turned out to be the friendliest team member we encountered) breakfast was not a patch on Holiday Inn Express we stayed at a couple of weeks ago. The worst part was when I pulled back the outer quilt on the bed there was dried blood on the bed sheet - disgusting. I called reception and two male members of staff came to change the bedding as no similar room was available - hate to be chauvinistic but they had no clue how to make the bed and left the room with the pillows on the floor and the quilt upside down. Sorry needed a moan about this as no one at the hotel was interested in listening. Hotel is in a great location for Etihad Stadium - just a shame we had a bad experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WMS56
GeneralManager888, Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Madam/Sir,
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the shortfall you encountered recently when checking in at the Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park.
I was disappointed to learn of the difficulties you encountered and first and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies for the obvious inconvenience this must have caused. I would like to assure you that your experience is not reflective of our normally high standards of service.
After investigation it is apparent that the shortfall you encountered is down to training issues. We are currently undergoing some staffing changes in several departments and all our new team members will receive further training to achieve the standard of service what we usually provide. I can assure that the team members concerned has been identified and spoken to accordingly. Following this conversation I am confident that there will be no recurrence.
Once again, please accept my apologies for your disappointment and I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park

Nora Urbancova