“University Open Day”

Ranked #29 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Bristol, United Kingdom
“University Open Day”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Choose this hotel as relatively close to university of Manchester. Staff very friendly and gave good directions to where we needed to be. Twin room standard Premier Inn. Duvet was way to thick for time of year but when told staff next morning they said I could have come down and asked for a sheet which I will do next time. Air con worked but did not want to use all night. Good range of food at breakfast and friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
London
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stayed here on a short visit. Previously stayed at one in Lower Mosely Street and found that to be good value. This one was slightly more central and a lower price. Apart from the staff on reception that seemed to think I was the invisible man when I arrived to check-in (did I really have to ASK to be checked-in?) this is a perfectly good place for a short stay with a very good breakfast and on the whole good staff. Will stay again. I parked in the NCP car park across the road. However do try the free voucher that gives a discount on the car park at the hotel opposite.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This place would have been fine 20 years ago. I nearly left due to how old the room was. The only good points was the very efficient air con on a boiling hot day and it was quiet. Apparently some of the floors have been refurbished but not mine. Make sure you ask! I am female and would not have stayed there on my own. I didn't feel very safe and I am not a wimp.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At premier Inn we endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customer’s needs please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Clean, comfortable, central hotel. Friendly, helpful staff.Short walk to railway station, near bus stops, and many attractions of Manchester. Close to Chinatown and a range of cafes and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
dumfries and galloway
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Having just spent the most wonderful weekend in Manchester with my friends at this hotel, I cannot give it enough praise. The manager organised a lovely bottle of Prosecco for us when she heard we were celebrating my early retirement and 60th birthday. All members of staff went out of their way to make our stay the most comfortable, enjoyable experience. It has a great location for everything from shopping to theatres. To our delight we were offered newly refurbished rooms on arrival. Check-in was quick and easy. Our rooms all had exceptionally comfortable new beds and the rooms are very tastefully decorated and spacious. Noise levels are low. The restaurant/bar area is very nice and we were served a lovely buffet breakfast with lots of choices. We took the meal deal for buffet breakfast and dinner and it is excellent value for money. The food is exceptionally good. Transport links from Piccadilly station to this hotel are excellent. Look out for the free number 3 bus service from Piccadilly. There is a stop not far from this hotel (doesn't operate on Sundays though).
It is however the staff that make this hotel and our thanks to them all for their kindness, friendliness and their dedication to giving their customers a memorable stay. We will have no difficulty in deciding which hotel for our next trip to Manchester. We are looking forward to going back already.

Room Tip: Reception staff will ensure you have the best room there is on offer.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I was visiting Manchester on a business trip and knowing how obsessed I am with traveller reviews the team secretary checked on trip advisor before making the booking. So glad she did - the Premier Inn Portland Street is perfect for a stay in Manchester.

I had an early start to the day, arrived into Manchester from London, and headed straight to work on arrival. By the time I arrived at the Premier Inn it was around 6pm and I was exhausted.
The lady and gentleman at reception were super helpful and friendly, making sure check-in was really quick so I could just chill for the evening.

I walked everywhere, so can say the hotel is probably a 5 min drive from Manchester Piccadilly station, which is quite convenient. Transport links in the area are good, and there were quite a few food/retail shops nearby.

The room was excellent. They had just finishing renovating the third floor, and so I was placed in one of the new rooms. It was spacious, comfortable and nicely decorated. I was quite taken aback and really impressed!

Food - As I'm only 'eating clean' I decided to have a treat day as the menu looked quite good! As I had to do some studying, and the girls at the bar kindly put my order in to be ready at 9pm just in time for the Brazil v Croatia game! They were really friendly and soo helpful and even helped to take my food to my room as I had so much to carry! My dinner and dessert I have to say were 10/10!! The burger was cooked to perfection, and the chocolate brownie and ice cream dessert was tasty. After such a heavy dinner I decided to have a fruit salad for breakfast which was also nice.

I only stayed one night at this hotel, and so unfortunately on my first trip to Manchester I didn't get to see Old Trafford or any other sites in the city. However, the staff at this hotel made my stay an enjoyable one. I will definitely be visiting Manchester again, and the Premier Inn Portland Street will be my first choice when I return!

Room Tip: New rooms on the 3rd floor!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were greeted by friendly polite staff who made sure we had all the information we needed to find our room. We had one of the newly decorated rooms which was lovely and clean and fresh. Our room was at the back so there was no traffic noise and apart from one couple who were talking as they past our room, we heard no noise all night. We had been out in the evening and left first thing in the morning so didn't use the restaurant at all, so can make no comment on that. It was the perfect hotel for where we wanted to be and we were very happy with everything.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple