and 1 more site!
Ranked #21 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Burton upon Trent, null, United Kingdom
“Theatre break”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We booked this premier inn as it was perfect for our visit to the Palace Theatre. We have stayed in premier inns before so know what to expect. However, after checking in and being allocated our room, we found the room had not been cleaned. Returning to reception Madga was very apologetic and quickly allocated us another room and advised us that we would be refunded the cost of our stay. The new room did not have enough towels, but this again was very quickly rectified. What more can I say, very well done to all concerned. Thank You.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I was there only one night on business, the service was very good, they couldn't do enough for you. I was very well received, the room was spotlessly clean, new, well furnished in a modern, simple style.
It was quiet, I had a great sleep even though I am a light sleeper.
Bed & pillows were comfy and temperature right.
Next morning breakfast was varied and delicious, they did my poached eggs at the moment, and there is choice of bread, pastries, cold & hot breakfast, teas, coffee, juices... the lot!
They went the extra mile and were very helpful.
Located well, very central & close to bus top, Piccadilly and the Chinese arch it makes it very easy to go out & about.
I stayed in other most upmarket hotels and to be honest, this one is as good -even better- than most of them, so value for money, I'll return to it without hesitation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was exactly what I'd come to expect from Premier Inn. Ok it's not the nicest I've stayed in, but the location couldn't have been better for my needs. I would have ideally liked a room with a view rather than a wall at the back, and the council doing unscheduled work on the drains overnight spoilt it a bit, but it wasn't the hotels fault and I did get some money back. The restaurant and food were great and as usual the Prem Inn brekkie was great :-)

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RuthQuinn, Operations Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay here at Portland Street. We hope that the location suited your needs for your trip to Manchester.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by these unscheduled works, which unfortunately was out of our control. I hope that this doesn’t stop you from visiting us again.

We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast that we have on offer; your feedback is nice to hear.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We live near Manchester & often stay in hotels in the city centre when we go out to events in the city.
I booked the Portland Street Premier Inn for £29 mainly because of it's location (near the Town Hall & China Town)
What can I say ? It's a Premier Inn. Which means you get everything you need in the room (unlike travelodge) very similar to a 3/4 star hotel with none of the fuss.

Can't fault it's location, cleanliness or facilities.

Only issue is the parking as the hotel doesn't have it's own car park, the nearest is at the GMex (now called Manchester Central) but that's expensive. We parked for £10 for 24 hours at a Euro park at the back of the Palace theatre. It's a bit of a walk but saves a lot of money .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RuthQuinn, Operations Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thanks for taking time to review your stay with us. We are happy that the hotel was in a good location for your needs during your stay.

Regarding the parking, at our hotel we don’t have our own car park. However we do have partnership with the Q Park that is the next left after our hotel. Customers who stay with us will receive a 30% discount for using their car park. We would recommend using this car park, as it is secure, underground, 24hr CCTV, regularly
Patrolled by Q-Park staff and has 24/7 access. It is also within two minutes walk from our hotel.

We hope that you visit us again soon; we look forward to seeing you.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We chose this hotel mainly because of where it is situated - right in the centre of Manchester. We basically wanted a base to come back to after shopping and sightseeing!

The hotel was nice and modern inside, with air conditioning on in the lobby which was great as it was quite warm outside. Our check-in was perfect, and the blonde woman behind the desk was very very helpful and gave us a map, etc. She couldn't do enough to help us. Our room was large and modern, very clean and very adequate.

We didn't eat in the hotel because we wanted to try somewhere different (had Premier Inn breakfasts before and they are lush!!). We tried TOPS, a buffet restaurant right next door to the hotel, and we absolutely loved it. Great selection and decent food.

The ONLY issue I would have with our time here, was that our climate control obviously wasn't working properly in our room. I'm not one to make a fuss but my partner rang down to reception late at night when we couldn't sleep because of the heat, and they sent up a fan which helped. Was a small issue but they resolved it quickly and efficiently.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to leave a review about your recent stay here at Portland Street Premier Inn. We are happy to hear that our location was well suited for you to go shopping and sightseeing.

I would also like to apologise for the air con problem that you experienced during your stay. If in the future this happens again please don’t hesitate to ask at reception as we can provide fans or transfer you to a room that does not have a problem with its air con. We want you to feel as comfortable as possible in your room so this is not a problem at all.

We hope that you enjoyed your time here in Manchester and that you visit us again soon, we look forward to accommodating you.
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I've previously avoided Premier Inns as I travel around the country. So I was surprised. Very comfy bed. Pillow choice whilst not including a feather pillow, was a good range and so I avoided a stiff neck from those fat hollofill pillows. Room was big, bathroom small and clean. Usual limited TV choices. Free 30 minute wifi was an intermittent signal in the room.
Breakfast had ok choices for a budget and was a plentiful buffet.

As a comparison the say a HI express, I was pleasantly surprised.

The ATM type check in was ok for a colleague but temperamental for me. Yet friendly sole receptionist kept things moving and it didn't impair my arrival.

Appears to have over 200 rooms and so I guess restaurant could get busy.
This visit has made me rethink Premier Inns. I'll need to try another.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RuthQuinn, Operations Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
It's always nice when guests take the time and trouble to review their stays. It's especially pleasing to hear that the hotel and our teams delivered the standards and service levels that helped make your stay a pleasant one.

We hope that from your experience at our hotel that it has given you a good idea of the high standards that each premier inn across the country is trying to achieve.

We hope that we see you again at Portland Street in the near future.
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Choosed the hotel mainly because its location and presumed I will enjoy the good quality of premier inn standard by large , but it was a bit of disappointment.
why ? atlhough reception stuff was very welcome and ready to assist the condition of the room was not very attractive and the maintenance level seems to be low. the room was smelly , dark and the rug was not even tight so watch your steps...
in the bathroom one of the tap was broken and I had to work out how to open/close the hot water just on shaving time , and the bathroom smelled..
further , the bathroom is equipped with a vent that will not stop work and make noise unless you close all lights - bit annyoing.
Having said that , In total - in case I will need the location I think I will give this hotel another chance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I would like to apologise for the room and the problems that you had during your stay. If you decide to stay with us in the future I would like to recommend that if you are not entirely happy with your room that you can call down to reception and we could arrange a room transfer for you to a more suitable room.

We do have schedule in place were that every room gets a check to ensure that the maintenance is of a high standard, however it seems on this occasion this may have failed and the room was not to the standard that you have come to expect from premier inn.

Again, I would like to apologise for the experience that you had whilst you stayed with us here at Portland Street.

We hope that we see you again in the future.