“Central for pubs, clubs and shops”

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street
Ranked #22 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Peterhead, United Kingdom
“Central for pubs, clubs and shops”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

From the outside, this hotel doesn't look very good but it has simply left the old facade and built a new hotel behind.
The location is perfect for anyone who wants be in the centre of everything. The downside is that parking is difficult.
The hotel is excellent value for money, costing lots less than many nearby hotels with literally no less facilities.
The breakfast was terrific and yet again the staff of Premier Inn's know how to treat you.
The room was large, clean and comfortable.
If you want a night in Manchester city centre, don't spend more on a 'name', get great value at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 12, 2011

A nice vale for money hotel in a central location, handy for city centre etc. Will definitely stay again when we are in Manchester.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dowpatrick
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Stayed here for one night and for the money (£29 on their website) was a great clean and comfortable room - not much else, but I didn't need anything else! Thanks again Premier Inn - If it's good enough for Lenny Henry, It's good enough for me!

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
UK
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Stayed here with my young family for a concert at Manchester Acadamy. Great central location, with a Q car park round the corner with 30% off for hotel guests. Think it was £13.30 for our overnight stay. Took a cab to the academy which the helpful staff booked for me.. And when it didn't arrive they called to chase it up. For reference it was £4.60 to acadamy! The room was great for an overnight stay. At £29 you can't go wrong! Tiles were abit mouldy in the bathroom but everything else was very clean! Only real complaint was the view of the adjacent buildings Flat roof Which had junk all over it! Beds were lovely and comfy! Consisting of one double and sofa converted into a single bed. Breakfast was fabulous.. Lovely restaurant and friendly staff! Receptionists were also outstanding. Self check machines are easy enough to use, but everyone i saw seemed to have one problem or another with them! Get rid I say and go back to normal check-in!! So to sum this long winded review up! Worth staying!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank brittanny_uk
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I have only two criticisms: internet access is not free, and you get only two teabags a day in your room. (I had to swap with a colleague. I drink a lot more tea than that!)
Good, spacious room and bed. Excellent English breakfast (they even ask you if you want poached eggs). The reception people arfe vso friednly, and thy even print things for you (like your boarding card after on-line check in - but you have to send it to them by e-mail).
Good restaurants and pubs nearby.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank vikingtraveller07
Chorley
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Stayed here with a group of friends and the customer service was way beyond what I expected for a budget price hotel. All the staff, whether cleaning, reception, bar staff regularly asked if everything was ok with our room, our stay etc. The bar was plentiful and more choice than regular hotels and the breakfast was much better than other three star hotels I have stayed in in Manchester eg fresh orange juice, potted jams and butters, nice quality bacon and sausage!
Location for theatre, oxford road station and shopping was superb! Thankyou

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChorleyNalf
LukewarmCatastrophe
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Have stayed in this hotel several times over the years and I recall on one of my last stays, there was a real issue with the room being uncomfortably freezing. On this occasion, it was quite the opposite with it being July, but more about that later!

First impressions as we arrived were "where the heck has the reception gone"? Last time I stayed, there was a desk with actual people sat behind it. Now, there were a selection of self-check in machines and a little podium with a man occasionally behind it when he wasn't tied up helping people figure out how to use the self-check in machines (surely a false economy??!!)

After ten minutes of posturing against our suitcases waiting to be assisted, a woman sat behind another little podium finally spotted us and asked if we needed help. She tried to walk us over to a self-check in machine but I advised I wanted to make some special requests about my room so she quickly sat us down in front of her podium and noted down my request for a quiet room.

She attempted to give us 2 keys for our room and I informed her I only needed 1. She bantered that 2 might be a better idea in case my partner and I have an argument which certainly got some giggles out of us, but those kind of jokes are a bit risque and should be thrown around with caution, Premier Inn receptionists, take note! ;)

Our wish for a quiet room was granted and our window view faced out onto an internal roof, rather than busy Portland Street so there were no external noise issues. However, our room did seem to make a strange noise as if there were water pipes pumping all night. Thankfully, we were so tired, they didn't bother us, but they could have been an annoyance.

Now, back to the issue with the room temperature I mentioned above. It was a VERY hot weekend in Manchester, so imagine my shock to read one of the Premier Inn's latest famous "informative notes sellotapted to the desk" (they seem to do this a lot, see my previous reviews!).

Apparently, because of the hot weather in the summer, they request that you keep the curtains in your room closed at all times to stop the sunlight getting in and artificially warming the rooms even further! On top of this, the windows are completely locked and you have to ring (the already understaffed?) reception to get them to come up and interrupt you in your room to open them if you're too hot!

In fairness, this didn't affect my stay, as I was never hot enough to warrant needing to open the window, but I would have liked to have had the option?

Everything else about the room was fine (apart from a few questionable stains on the carpet which I hope were tomato ketchup). Bed was clean and comfy, ample clean towels, the shower was a little weak on the water presure front and the base of the bath looked dirty at first but I think it was actually dark scratches (either way, not good!) but acceptable for the price paid.

Didn't use the tv or the kettle so can't comment on functionability - the hairdryer didn't work but thankfully, I'd already been to a shop to buy one as the hairdryers in the last 2 Premier Inn's I've stayed in haven't worked so my hopes weren't high.

Checkout was good and the receptionist (brown curly hair) asked how the stay had been and seemed genuinely interested and smiley which I liked.

As always, I'd stay again as the price to value for money ratio is pretty unbeatable when compared to most of the other hotels on offer in Manchester.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple