“customer service brill. Clean rooms”

Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street
Ranked #22 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Chorley
“customer service brill. Clean rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

Stayed here with a group of friends and the customer service was way beyond what I expected for a budget price hotel. All the staff, whether cleaning, reception, bar staff regularly asked if everything was ok with our room, our stay etc. The bar was plentiful and more choice than regular hotels and the breakfast was much better than other three star hotels I have stayed in in Manchester eg fresh orange juice, potted jams and butters, nice quality bacon and sausage!
Location for theatre, oxford road station and shopping was superb! Thankyou

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChorleyNalf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
LukewarmCatastrophe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

Have stayed in this hotel several times over the years and I recall on one of my last stays, there was a real issue with the room being uncomfortably freezing. On this occasion, it was quite the opposite with it being July, but more about that later!

First impressions as we arrived were "where the heck has the reception gone"? Last time I stayed, there was a desk with actual people sat behind it. Now, there were a selection of self-check in machines and a little podium with a man occasionally behind it when he wasn't tied up helping people figure out how to use the self-check in machines (surely a false economy??!!)

After ten minutes of posturing against our suitcases waiting to be assisted, a woman sat behind another little podium finally spotted us and asked if we needed help. She tried to walk us over to a self-check in machine but I advised I wanted to make some special requests about my room so she quickly sat us down in front of her podium and noted down my request for a quiet room.

She attempted to give us 2 keys for our room and I informed her I only needed 1. She bantered that 2 might be a better idea in case my partner and I have an argument which certainly got some giggles out of us, but those kind of jokes are a bit risque and should be thrown around with caution, Premier Inn receptionists, take note! ;)

Our wish for a quiet room was granted and our window view faced out onto an internal roof, rather than busy Portland Street so there were no external noise issues. However, our room did seem to make a strange noise as if there were water pipes pumping all night. Thankfully, we were so tired, they didn't bother us, but they could have been an annoyance.

Now, back to the issue with the room temperature I mentioned above. It was a VERY hot weekend in Manchester, so imagine my shock to read one of the Premier Inn's latest famous "informative notes sellotapted to the desk" (they seem to do this a lot, see my previous reviews!).

Apparently, because of the hot weather in the summer, they request that you keep the curtains in your room closed at all times to stop the sunlight getting in and artificially warming the rooms even further! On top of this, the windows are completely locked and you have to ring (the already understaffed?) reception to get them to come up and interrupt you in your room to open them if you're too hot!

In fairness, this didn't affect my stay, as I was never hot enough to warrant needing to open the window, but I would have liked to have had the option?

Everything else about the room was fine (apart from a few questionable stains on the carpet which I hope were tomato ketchup). Bed was clean and comfy, ample clean towels, the shower was a little weak on the water presure front and the base of the bath looked dirty at first but I think it was actually dark scratches (either way, not good!) but acceptable for the price paid.

Didn't use the tv or the kettle so can't comment on functionability - the hairdryer didn't work but thankfully, I'd already been to a shop to buy one as the hairdryers in the last 2 Premier Inn's I've stayed in haven't worked so my hopes weren't high.

Checkout was good and the receptionist (brown curly hair) asked how the stay had been and seemed genuinely interested and smiley which I liked.

As always, I'd stay again as the price to value for money ratio is pretty unbeatable when compared to most of the other hotels on offer in Manchester.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LukewarmCatastrophe
ciaraestewart@gmail.com
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

Good hotel, clean rooms and friendly staff. Food was fine, not too expensive and a good selection. Staff were very friendly and helpful

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

As usual can find no fault with this Premier Inn located in Portland Street Manchester for this price. Easy to find and park, centrally located, friendly and efficient staff and clean room. All for £29!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

I have stayed at many Premier Inn Hotels around the country and Manchester in particular. I have never had a problem with Premier in Hotels, they are quite a basic hotel as in northing flashy, but has everything you need for a good weekend away. Every Premier Inn I have stayed in is clean, tidy, morning staff say good morning to you as you are leaving your room. I always feel like I have had a good night. I have never had a problem with any of their beds bathrooms restaurants etc.

A basic, modern, very good hotel. Would choose Premier Inn any day over its competitor.

Room Tip: Top floor on corner gets a good veiw of Oxford Rd
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Liverpool England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

Stayed here last night after a concert at the MEN Arena the checking in was all computerised screens which was not a problem and there was a helpful receptionist? there to help you through and told us that they would guarantee a good nights sleep or they would give you your money back.
All I can say is don't stay in room 147 it is directly above the plant room which makes a constant noise, the bins are directly below as well so they were emptied early hours. It sounded as if road works were being carried out all night. Despite the offer of money back if you don't sleep, all they said the next morning is that if we want to stay again to request an internal room. I will certainly not go back there but use the travelodge just off Deansgate which we have been to before and despite being right in the centre of Manchester was very quiet.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have a quiet stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments has been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

Central Manchester Premier Inn was clean, comfortable and quiet with a decent sized room, a restaurant on site for breakfast and dinner and plenty of TV channels. I thought this was excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business