“Disappointing”
Review of Lucha Libre - CLOSED

Lucha Libre
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

After having a great night at the Liverpool restaurant I decided to visit here expecting good things.

The host / manager was friendly on arrival. We waited for a table for 30 mins on a Thursday night despite free tables upstairs with the host explaining there weren't enough staff to open this area (it was opened later when a large party came in).

The service was a non event really - nothing was explained (ie that dishes arrive as and when they are ready) drinks were forgotten and asked for twice before arriving and trying to get attention of staff who's gaze did not wander from anything that wasn't directly in front of them was extremely difficult. Despite trying to get staff attention to pay the bill for half and hour we eventually got up to go pay at the bar and that did make some spring into action as they thought we were leaving without paying.

It might sound petty but all our hair and clothes smelt of fried food after we left. I had been shopping and the new clothes I bought that were in a carrier bag smelt too!

The food was nice and I like the concept but like many, I won't be going back for a while.

“Quite a let down”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I definitely prefer Luck Lust Liquor and Burn in the northern quarter. The food was mediocre and the service was very poor with food coming out very late.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Kappy1991
London, England, United Kingdom
“Initially a fan but disappointed lately”
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

First time here was great - fun vibe, menu is full of exciting dishes, service and speed of receiving food was great and presentation and taste of food was great.

Have been a few times since and have been disappointed:
- main meal was served in a plastic bowl making it feel like a very overpriced ready meal
- service was incredibly slow - had to pester the waitress 4 times before we could pay and leave over the course of 30 minutes
- waitresses consistently forgot a bunch of items we had ordered
- some dishes underwhelming while some very tasty - bit of mixed bag
- not sure the cold limp tacos are the best - the filling is great but I end up leaving the bread
- a bit pricey for portion sizes

If you can forgive the above then it's a fun / different place to go, but there are better Mexican restaurants out there

Manchester, United Kingdom
“More Mexican't than Mexican”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We popped in here for a quick bite to eat before bowling at All Star Lanes. As massive fans of Mexican food I thought we couldn't go wrong.

As it turned out, we would have had more chance of finding something tasty to eat in one of the nearby bins. We ordered tacos with guacamole to start. The taco chips were soggy and tasteless but at least they were better then a truly dismal guacamole. I'm no expert, but I think I could make better guacamole if I was blindfolded, on fire and had no avocados. I remember seeing ready made guacamole in a Spanish supermarket that contained 3% avocado. I didn't buy it but I imagine that it would taste similar to slop on offer here.

One of my friends ordered a burrito. When it arrived, It looked as it the kitchen staff had used it for a particularly boisterous game of rugby but he decided to give it a try anyway. He said that it was OK so I took a bite. I thought it was poor and expressed surprise that, as a confirmed pescaphobe, he had ordered anything with fish in it. Imagine my surprise when I was told it was actually the cali steak. Yuk.

We had a couple of other dishes but they were unremarkable apart from their extreme blandness and small portion size. I looked for someone to air our grievances too but I gave up after 10 minutes as no one seemed to care, despite the fact that the restaurant was relatively quiet.

We left feeling hungry, ripped off and angry.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank joe a
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great food bit of a wait.”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We went on a very busy Saturday night and was told the wait was upto an hour and half. The bar was busy and the atmosphere was great so we said we were happy to wait. Cocktails were lovely similar priced other bars in town. When we got our table we ordered a sharing platter and some sides. Food was really tasty, the sharer is supposed to be for two but it was well enough for the three of us. Bill come to £60 for 3 of us including two jugs of sangria. Wouldn't hesitate to come here again, staff were friendly and the music was great.

• Visited February 2014