Oishi-Q
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Casual Dining
Reviewed May 8, 2014

A friend recommended me this new Japanese restaurant last week so I decided to go for a try. Me and two of my friends popped in at around 6 pm on Tuesday. The place is not big but the atmosphere is quite cozy and friendly.

For most of the good Japanese restaurants are tend to specialize in one particular type of food such as ramen or yakitori. But Oishiq seems to be an exception which is able to provide different types of Japanese food on the menu such as Yakitori, different donburi, sushi, ramen and tempura. Also, there is a special food list for everyday on the board. Therefore it was quite hard for us to select what to try as most of the dishes seem very nice!! Finally we decided to pick a Yakitori rice set and 2 donburis and a uramaki to share.

Yakitori rice set
We ordered 3 portions of skewers (Chicken thigh, Lamb and asparagus, Quail eggs) and they came with complementary rice. Each portion had 2 skewers in total 6 skewers so it was quite a lot for us. I like the chicken thigh so much as it is juicy in every bite and just grilled alright! Lamb was chewy and was so matched with fresh asparagus. The little springy quail eggs were rich and tasty, They were all delicious by grilling with sweet and special yakitori sauce.

Pork Katsu Don
It was the fried pork with egg and onion mixed with Tonkatsu sauce on the top of the rice. It was quite nice as the pork are soft inside but crispy outside. It was quite surprising as the pork katsu I tried before were quite dry but this one was extremely great.

Kaisen Donburi
It was not on the menu but the special list of that day. If you enjoy all sorts of sashimi, you should definitely try this one! A set of fresh salmon, tuna, seabass and mackerel sashimi on the top of sushi rice. All the fish are so fresh and was " melt into mouth"!!

Soft shell crab
It was a sushi roll wrapped with crispy soft shell crab, avocado, cucumber and mayo sauce inside. It was plentiful and delicious. Thumbs up for this special roll.

Overall, all dishes were well prepared and served quickly. The staffs were nice and friendly too. They asked whether we want to try their green tea and black sesame ice cream but we were so full. We all felt nice treated and yummy warm in our tummy :P The price was decent too. By the time we left at about 7:30, it was nearly full! It is definitely worth a try and we will come again!

5  Thank TiffyBaby

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I had a dinner there on 08/04/14 and the food was delicious and the service was friendly. Unfortunately when the dinner was finished and I asked for a VAT receipt I was told that the only receipt they could produce was a hand-written list of the dishes I ordered with a Q stamp on it - no vendor information at all on it even if we forget about the VAT number. So this receipt was totally useless when claiming expenses :(

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Visited this restaurant with 3 friends for lunch during mid week. I hadn't heard of this place before but was strongly recommended by a few friends that had been whom all had good things to say.

Firstly, the restaurant was quite difficult to find, it's situated in the town center just off oxford road. The only sign that was visible from the outside was "Yakitori".

Inside, the restaurant itself is quite small but beautifully done, I particularly love the use of light and woodwork. Everything looked clean and new, it also has an open plan kitchen so you can see the chefs at work. It was quiet when we got there (we were the only ones there) but it soon filled up rather quick.

The menu had a variety of starters, donburi's, noodle soups, sushi, sashimi, tempura and yakitori! They also had a specials board (which was hard to read!), that had various seasonal fresh options on there.

All 4 of us ordered of the Lunch menu (miso soup, green tea and a main for £5.95) which was fantastic value. We also ordered some starters and sashimi/sushi. I chose the Beef Udon Noodle Soup which was recommended by our server which was absolutely delicious. My friends ordered the Chicken Katsu Curry, Salmon Miso Ramen and the Yakitori Rice Set. Food portion was big and filling. No wonder the other tables were occupied by so many students! The sushi was freshly prepared and took a few minutes to make, it was was well worth the wait! The Salmon sashimi was really tasty and fresh, we ordered another portion! The chicken karaage was very, very good too.

All in all everyone enjoyed their food, it was a great little place to eat and even better, great value. I'll definitely be coming again

5  Thank Charlie S
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Last week, myself and 3 friends decided we should try this place, cause we have always walked past but never went in. So we got together last week and decided to give it go, lucky for us we did. We had a selection of food from donburis, sushi, and yakitori. I must say if you ever want some japanese food try this small but cosy restaurant and try the soft shell crab roll it was the highlight of the night. For us the open kitchen is good cause with us we like the interaction between customer and chefs.

3  Thank Boss456
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Went with a couple of friends to an early dinner. Nice small restaurant that prepared our sushi on demand and cooked some authentic Japanese food. Probably not suitable for large groups. They also offered us a free taster of some delicious salmon belly nigiri.

5  Thank H T