“Felt like a celebrity...!”

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I thought this hotel was fantastic!

The room was impressive and the bed was the most comfortable I have slept in. The staff were very polite and accommodating and couldn't do enough for you (they even put rose petals on the bed when they found out it was our engagement celebration).

I loved the fact that I could see Coronation Street set from the rooftop!

I have no complaints whatsoever! Would defintely return!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 6, 2010

Unlike the previous reviewer, I didn't mind the noise of the party the night I stayed, because I was attending it. I would suggest that anyone coming for a weekend stay check this at the time of booking as the noise was full on until 1am as the place seems a mecca for 2nd division footballers and ex-Corrie actors on the razzle. I would say though that once back in my room, I couldn't hear a thing, other than the gentle hum of my well hidden mini-bar and the ticking of my watch, which reminded me I had to get up early the next day. The room was a sumptious duplex appartment, which at first amazed, then led me to believe it used to be a lot better about 3-4 years ago. Nothing really to worry about, other than it has lost it's "brand new feel" which you still might expect for the amount it is charged at. Plus points: the shower room and the luxurious (not too hard, not too soft) bed. The downside, was a toilet up a flight of stairs which seemed to be accoustically linked to every other toilet in the building. Not sure about breakfast as my early start, and my raging hangover meant I only had time for a swift freshly squeezed orange juice. Would I come again? Quite possibly, but it would have to be a good party as the place is too far away from the good bits of Manchester.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I was in Manchester on a business trip and stayed in the Great John Street Hotel which is ideally located in the city centre. I can honestly say I've never been made to feel more welcome by staff in a hotel before - it really feels like they would anything for you. The interior of the hotel is also fantastic - a beautiful bath and bed and the lounge/bar area feels wonderfully comfortable and inviting (so much so I found it difficult to leave!). Breakfast was also delicious! I would recommend this hotel to anyone - visitors on business trips, couple and families alike. I don't think I could say enough good comments about it - I will definitely be returning!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Wasn't informed of a party when I booked. Was lied to about the finish time upon enquiry. The noise from upstairs at 1am after the party had finished was as bad as the disco itself. Worst night's sleep I have had in a long while, and I have 3 small childr at home!!!
The croissants for the breakfast didn't turn up either! All in all, very dissappointing for what could have been a really nice stay in a fantsastic building.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Clus
Reviewed November 2, 2010

This hotel is in a very central location just a couple of minutes walk from Deansgate. Despite being so close to the city centre it was very quiet. The duplex room was very comfortable, large and well decorated, and had a big walk-in shower and a floor standing bathtub, as well as a sitting area with wooden floor, sofa, TV and stereo.

We booked a last minute room direct from the hotel's website and felt this to be reasonably priced, although breakfast wasn't included.

The hotel's roof terrace was beatiful - you could just about see the end of Coronation Street from the corner of the roof - and although we didn't have chance to use the hot tub it looked very enticing! The bar was quite kitsch, reasonably priced and with friendly service.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2010

This use to be such a lovely hotel, but clearly has been taken over by new management. Still beautiful, but the managers attitude was appalling. We were visiting Manchester for a friend's wedding and decided to splash out and stay somewhere a little special. On arrival we were informed we had been upgraded at no extra cost - excellent! Only to realise at 8am Saturday that our room was right next to the lift shaft, which was being renovated. The noise was unbelievable - the bagging and drilling continued for hours. We informed the manager when it first started and were met with a, "what can I do?" attitude. We re-interrated our complaint as we paid full price for the room, £255, and advised that this room should not be let to other paying customers. We received the same, "not my problem" response. Truly poorly customer service and I can see from other reviews that I'm not the only person that has noticed the decline. Ruined our weekend.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gbambi
GJSManager, Manager at Great John Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2010

Our new state of the art lift, which will offer our guests a high level on convenience and serve our new Rooftop Playground, is now complete.
Installing a new lift in a working hotel without creating some noise is very challenging and time constraints on such a project are inevitable which result in weekend work.
We had been led to believe by the lift engineers that the drilling in question, would be minor work, obviously this was not the case on that morning.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused on the morning of your stay.
Great John Street is still under the same ownership and management from when it opened in 2005.

Reviewed September 24, 2010

We got married here in August and can't praise the hotel staff enough for the attention to detail and finishing touches. We wanted to avoid a traditional wedding at all costs and just had a small ceremony with only immediate family in the rooftop lounge before all our friends joined us for a BBQ on the terrace (thank god the sun shone!!!) and partied hard afterwards.
Our friends were blown away by how beautiful the venue, the quality of the food, and how stylish the whole thing was. We were so impressed by how such a simple wedding could be transformed by the hotel into a really unique and special occasion.
We were lucky enough to book before they brought in the new policy of having to book a certain amount of bedrooms so I imagine the cost of having your wedding here is now eye watering - but if you are after something modern and stylish I would recommend it.
Yes the drinks are expensive and yes the 10% they add to eveything is a complete rip off but it was so gorgeous I'm willing to overlook that.
The advice I would give anyone getting married / having a civil partnership here is don't even worry about all the finer details - they are experts and will take care of everything for you so just leave it to them - they did an incredible job for us.
My only criticism of the Great John Street is that they are a nightmare about returning calls - not just when we were booking the wedding but also on other occasions when we booked their gorgeous Mother's Day afternoon tea (amazing) and Easter Sunday lunch (average), no one seems to pass on messages and no one ever returns your call and on the rare occasion when I did speak to our wedding co ordinator I got the impression it was an inconvenience so bridezillas beware! However all the staff we met running up to the wedding and during our stay were lovely.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple