“Manchesters hidden gem”

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This boutique hotel is a hidden gem. I can't recommend GJS enough. We stayed here last week for my husbands birthday but I have used the hotel for personal, work meetings and parties. The intimate feel of the hotel works well for small parties as well as larger parties on the roof top terrace. Whenever I stay at the hotel I always wish I had no plans so I can enjoy the intimate relaxed feeling of the bar area as well as chilling in the room with room service. This is the only hotel I will stay in now in Manchester. Every room I have stayed in has been different, they are always extremely clean and the beds are very comfortable. The staff are always friendly and nothing is too much. I LOVE this hotel and wish I could stay here more. Next on the agenda is to try the afternoon tea as I have heard that is amazing.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melanie S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,356)

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I booked the rooftop lounge and terrace for my 60th birthday party with private dining for 38 guests. The service was excellent throughout our party from tray served champagne and canapés to the dinner service and bar. Every member of staff was helpful and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The party was very well organised and food was great. A nice intimate location. The food, staff and location were all faultless - I would not hesitate to use GJS again. Cannot comment on the rooms because I did not stay but friends who did stay were very impressed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Philip G
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Nice boutique hotel, Valet parking was £25 but could park outside hotel for free as Xmas Eve after 6 and free on Christmas day morning :). Although a lovely suite, would have been better to have the bed upstairs as opposed to the lounge being upstairs as the bedroom underneath felt very low down and compressed. Very comfy bed with a beautiful bathroom and roll top bath (middle taps so no tap end!) Excellent! and quality toiletries provided. The staff at the reception and the bar were extremely polite and helpful, offering to take our bags for us which was great as we had a lot of presents for each other (2 of us)! Had a great stay apart from in the morning we were told breakfast was served until 12 noon so we had a gorgeous lie in and ambled down for 11 only to be told that the kitchen may be shut. We went through and were told we could have breakfast but it definitely felt awkward like they didnt really want to as if they were doing us a favour by staying open which was really off putting and felt a bit uncomfortable. Having said that, the breakfast was extremely good quality and definitely worth it as it tasted very fresh, organic and high quality to match the hotel's reputation. We loved the radio playing beautiful choir classical Christmas songs on arrival. Upon departure, a lady on reception was truly warming and very much customer focused. Very attentive and chatty which sealed the trip for us for hospitality, especially since she had only been there for a few months, I think she is definitely an asset to the hotel for sure and should be recognised for her welcoming reception, even if it was upon checking out. I think her name was Natalie(?). Thank you for making our Christmas eve stay a memorable one and no doubt we will recommend and return ourselves during 2014 for future stays in the city centre. The hot tub was not on which was a disappointment nor the spa but we did manage to peek at the rooftop terrace bar which has a stunning panoramic skyline view over Manchester. I think this will be a stunning setting for us in Summertime to host our future drinks receptions and would recommend staying here for sure.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michelle w
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The G.J.S is a truly wonderful and unique, boutique hotel in the city centre. We held our office Christmas party here last weekend and it was our best party yet. The venue was perfect as it offered a more intimate and cosy setting unlike what you get in a big chain hotel and the decor is beautiful, it is more like being in a house than a hotel. There were only 25 of us at the party this year so we were allocated the dining room, the mezzanine and kitchen area which was ideal for the size of our party and it enabled us to seperate the dining for the dancing. There are many different sections to the hotel which are smaller/bigger so they are able to accomodate smaller/bigger parties too.

The food was very good, everyone enjoyed their meal and the Christmas menu offered was varied and different from the usual mundane food you are normally offered for a Christmas party. I ordered beef sirloin for main expecting that I would be given a couple of slices off a beef joint but I actually received a big piece of sirloin steak which was a nice surprise! The wine was fantastic, I would highly recommend the Pinotage, it really was sublime.

Although I did not stay at the hotel on this occasion, I have stayed at the hotel several times previously. The bedrooms are lovely, very luxurious and split over two levels with the bathroom upstairs, again it is like being at home. The beds are extremley comfortable and we always have a great night's sleep and the breakfast has always been very tasty. I would definitley choose to stay here when staying in Manchester.

Lastly, I have to make a mention to the staff who were excellent. They are all so accommodating and cannot do enough for you. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble and they were all so friendly and welcoming and very efficient. A big big thank you to the team for all your hard work and patience :-)

I would 100% recommend this hotel whether visiting on business or pleasure and I am very much looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sophie S
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed at Great John Street again and had another super stay. Valet car parking was a big help, and the Champagne was very tasty in the bar! Our room was the usual excellent standard with lovely high quality toiletries and a fabulous shower with two baths in the room, which we didn't use but only because we didn't have time. Location brilliant, really close to the centre, and décor trendy and well thought out. The radio was turned on for our arrival into our room which I thought a lovely touch and showed great attention to detail.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 23, 2013

booked afternoon tea for my mum’s birthday with my sisters and daughter, five of us in total. We were seated in the Oyster Bar which is just stunning. Rita from Corrie was there and Jeremy Kyle was on the table next to us! Wow!! We were then treated to the most amazing array of cakes and biscuits after a great selection of finger sandwiches. My dietary requests were delivered discretely and we all felt that the service was relaxed and friendly but if we wanted someone the waitress was there. We were treated to a complimentary glass of champagne each when they realised it was mum’s birthday, what a lovely touch! The whole day was fantastic, the food, the service and the venue. For under £100, 5 of us had a wonderful day. Great value !

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Fantastic boutique hotel in the city centre. Well actually right by the Coronation Street set. Stayed in a suite which was very spacious and eclectic. Big windows allowing in lots of light. Two big freestanding baths in the upstairs bathroom plus shower room. Cosy ground floor bar; breakfast on mezzanine level was fine; cool rooftop bar. Very friendly staff which really made my stay a memorable one. Definitely the best hotel in Manchester in my book.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business