“Fab Champagne Afternoon Tea!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great John Street Hotel

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fab Champagne Afternoon Tea!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I took my Mum for champagne afternoon tea for her 60th birthday and was very impressed. My Mum also got a nice little surprise as I had mentioned when booking it was for her special birthday. The service was great they asked if we wanted more tea/coffee, sandwiches etc and that everything was ok with the food. Lovely setting very relaxed and comfortable and the food selection was fab. Would like to return and try an overnight stay and will certainly be returning for afternoon tea as we both enjoyed it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We booked a Grand Boudoir room for Tuesday 3 September for my partner's 40th birthday and so were delighted to be upgraded on arrival to a larger suite - The Opus suite, I believe. Checking in was seamless and friendly.

The champagne I'd ordered on arrival was delivered as soon as we'd settled in and the room was beautiful. Classic FM, nice touch ;) We ordered wine to be sent to the hot tub and drank this as the sun went down. Staff were attentive and friendly at all times.

The converted school house makes for an interesting stay with features of its original purpose used within the interiors of the hotel. This is both nostalgic and warming.

The location is perfect, close enough to nightlife whilst still feeling 'off the beaten track'.

As there are several bars and a restaurant on site, along with the sumptuous setting of your room and the hot tub, there's actually no need to venture out!

Breakfast, eggs benedict, was perfect. A luxurious and welcoming stay. We will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed September 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here for work for a night and really enjoyed my stay. The room was spacious and well decorated. The rooftop garden was lovely and even managed to take a dip in the hot tub!

Didn't use the restaurant but had a cheeseboard and wine after dinner out, thought the service and ambience was lovely. Breakfast was very nice too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We booked the gjs hotel for our networking event and couldn't have been happier with the service, quality and setting for the event.
The Roof Garden Playground is a great venue and allowed us to provide our clients with something a bit special. We'll definitely be booking again next time we're in Manchester and hopefully get a chance to stay at the hotel too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

my girlfriends and I went for afternoon tea as part of my belated birthday celebration. The setting of the hotel is lovely as was the presentation of the afternoon tea but I'm sorry to say that the service was very mediocre.

Nice sandwiches and scones but the cakes themselves were a bit of a let down, just seemed to be a sponge base with various flavours.

My major gripes with the service were that I asked the waitress not to bring the sandwiches out until my entire party had arrived. Five minutes later the sandwiches were on the table. I had to ask if we could have tea and coffee repeatedly, it was never offered and neither was there any choice of tea or coffee. No-one asked us if we wanted more sandwiches, which I found very bizarre as this is standard on every afternoon tea I've had. I'd also phoned the hotel in the week before to say that several in my party were vegetarians and some did not eat egg. The non-egg eating veggies were given egg sandwiches. Finally, at the end when the bill came the £80 deposit I'd paid in advance had not been deducted. The waitress told me to go to reception to sort this out.

The whole afternoon was spoilt for me because I couldn't relax and enjoy it as I felt I was having to constantly having to ask the staff to do things that I would have thought were a given for a pleasant afternoon tea. I'm afraid I won't be going back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank AnneB32
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I booked the hotel as a surprise celebration. Dan Edwards (the hotel manager) went out of his way to make it a really special stay. We had chilled champagne in our room on arrival and some delicious rocky road with a plate saying congratulations.
The hotel itself is beautiful. Very well decorated and a really comfortable and friendly feel.
Comes highly recommended - and thank you again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We got married at Great John Street on the 1st August 2013 and it was an amazing day, we loved the venue as soon as we saw it, we didn’t want the usual wedding venue, we wanted something different and Great John Street is certainly unique and classy. We opted for the BBQ instead of a sit down meal as we wanted a relaxed wedding and for a guests to just have a great day and night. The food was excellent and plenty of it, our guests were certainly kept happy, special mention for the Cornish pasties from the midnight munchies menu, everyone raved about them! All the staff were brilliant and nothing was too much trouble. Special mention to Bronwen, who helped us in the run up to the big day with all the arrangements and Federico, who looked after us on the day, everything felt stress free and everything was taken care of for us. Also a special mention to the lady on reception (sorry I didn’t catch her name!!), who was so helpful throughout our stay, Mark and I, along with our families stayed for 2 nights so we could get ready there on the morning of the wedding, everything was perfect and nothing was too much trouble! Great John Street certainly know how to make you feel special with the little touches and make you feel like it is your special day! We have had so many compliments since from guests about our chosen venue and what a great day everyone had, which is what we wanted to achieve, this was all down to Great John Street. The weather on the day helped though, as the sun decided to shine!

I would definitely recommend Great John Street as a wedding venue, we want to do it all again without changing a single thing! Thanks again to all the staff at GJS!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
King Street Townhouse
Roomzzz Manchester City
Roomzzz Manchester City
#6 of 115 in Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,288 reviews

Been to Great John Street Hotel? Share your experiences!