“Lovely boutique hotel”

Ranked #2 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely boutique hotel”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here for work for a night and really enjoyed my stay. The room was spacious and well decorated. The rooftop garden was lovely and even managed to take a dip in the hot tub!

Didn't use the restaurant but had a cheeseboard and wine after dinner out, thought the service and ambience was lovely. Breakfast was very nice too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We booked the gjs hotel for our networking event and couldn't have been happier with the service, quality and setting for the event.
The Roof Garden Playground is a great venue and allowed us to provide our clients with something a bit special. We'll definitely be booking again next time we're in Manchester and hopefully get a chance to stay at the hotel too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, England
Reviewed September 1, 2013

my girlfriends and I went for afternoon tea as part of my belated birthday celebration. The setting of the hotel is lovely as was the presentation of the afternoon tea but I'm sorry to say that the service was very mediocre.

Nice sandwiches and scones but the cakes themselves were a bit of a let down, just seemed to be a sponge base with various flavours.

My major gripes with the service were that I asked the waitress not to bring the sandwiches out until my entire party had arrived. Five minutes later the sandwiches were on the table. I had to ask if we could have tea and coffee repeatedly, it was never offered and neither was there any choice of tea or coffee. No-one asked us if we wanted more sandwiches, which I found very bizarre as this is standard on every afternoon tea I've had. I'd also phoned the hotel in the week before to say that several in my party were vegetarians and some did not eat egg. The non-egg eating veggies were given egg sandwiches. Finally, at the end when the bill came the £80 deposit I'd paid in advance had not been deducted. The waitress told me to go to reception to sort this out.

The whole afternoon was spoilt for me because I couldn't relax and enjoy it as I felt I was having to constantly having to ask the staff to do things that I would have thought were a given for a pleasant afternoon tea. I'm afraid I won't be going back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank AnneB32
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I booked the hotel as a surprise celebration. Dan Edwards (the hotel manager) went out of his way to make it a really special stay. We had chilled champagne in our room on arrival and some delicious rocky road with a plate saying congratulations.
The hotel itself is beautiful. Very well decorated and a really comfortable and friendly feel.
Comes highly recommended - and thank you again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We got married at Great John Street on the 1st August 2013 and it was an amazing day, we loved the venue as soon as we saw it, we didn’t want the usual wedding venue, we wanted something different and Great John Street is certainly unique and classy. We opted for the BBQ instead of a sit down meal as we wanted a relaxed wedding and for a guests to just have a great day and night. The food was excellent and plenty of it, our guests were certainly kept happy, special mention for the Cornish pasties from the midnight munchies menu, everyone raved about them! All the staff were brilliant and nothing was too much trouble. Special mention to Bronwen, who helped us in the run up to the big day with all the arrangements and Federico, who looked after us on the day, everything felt stress free and everything was taken care of for us. Also a special mention to the lady on reception (sorry I didn’t catch her name!!), who was so helpful throughout our stay, Mark and I, along with our families stayed for 2 nights so we could get ready there on the morning of the wedding, everything was perfect and nothing was too much trouble! Great John Street certainly know how to make you feel special with the little touches and make you feel like it is your special day! We have had so many compliments since from guests about our chosen venue and what a great day everyone had, which is what we wanted to achieve, this was all down to Great John Street. The weather on the day helped though, as the sun decided to shine!

I would definitely recommend Great John Street as a wedding venue, we want to do it all again without changing a single thing! Thanks again to all the staff at GJS!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

From our initial enquirery with the hotel to our checkout this morning the whole experience has been nothing short of exceptional. The whole hotel oozes warmth and class ! You are welcomed by a the concierge and reception team who made our check in painless and speedy, the rooms at all levels are opulently decorated , spotless and very spacious , my wife and I had one of the suites and our kids had the entry level rooms , all were of a very high standard.
With regards to our function we had planned an excusite party with numerous live acts, we wanted a rooftop venue which allowed our party to be half in / half out weather permitting. The rooftop "playground" didn't disappoint it is again amazingly furnished , the terrece has a "zen" garden feel to it with numerous sofas,seats and tables and chairs along with many little areas where small micro party's were going on. The whole event was a great success and credit has to go to the whole team behind delivering the lovely canapés during the evening, the bar team were swift to serve and efficient. We were permitted to party well into the evening with last orders 1am more than enough for most. Those who wished to continue the evening were allowed to do so down in the tastefully decorated residents bar. There are too many names to mention but I would like say a big thanks to "Nat" on the welcome desk, "Violet" heading up the bar team and a very,very special thanks to the beautiful "Tiffanny" who patiently co-ordinated the whole event, accommodation, menus, drinks, breakfast and parking.Anyone considering a special function the centre of Manchester should make "The Great Johns Street Hotel" number one on their list !!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Booked a night here for our wedding anniversary, unusually for us it was done with only a few weeks to go as we normally book things at least six months in advance. Online we requested – if possible – an early check in as it was for a special occasion and we wanted to make the most of the hotel.

When we arrived it seemed to be chaos in reception with three people all behind the desk shouting at each other. There were people retrieving their luggage who then were given bags belonging to somebody else, not exactly what I would call secure.

I approached the desk and said that we had a booking and before I could even ask if there was a room available I was told “we’re busy, come back after three o’clock”. Whilst it’s probably my fault for noticing that check in was at three, it’s pretty ridiculous for the amount of money you pay for a room that it’s so late. Nevertheless we came back at three.

The room was lovely with a bath in the bedroom – which I can’t say I was over keen on but I would imagine a lot of people would like, the luggage was already in the room and there was some lovely home made cakes on a slate with the words “happy anniversary” on it. Nice thought. Room was a decent size and bathroom was very nice. Everywhere was lovely and spotless.

There are plenty of reviews on Tripadvisor that mention that this hotel caters for weddings however, it would be great if they put something on the internet to show when this was happening. If I had known up front that there was a wedding on then we would not have booked the room. The noise was bedlam. We got in the lift to go up and try the roof terrace however, there was a note inside it saying that if you were a resident then you had to get out at floor 2 and walk up to the terrace rather than staying in the lift. As I am unable to walk up stairs then that was out for us and a shame as we really wanted to sit out on the terrace.

We went out for a meal we already had booked and when we returned we went into the bar for a drink. Whilst you could hear all the noise coming from upstairs, the bar was pretty much dead and had the atmosphere of a funeral parlour. The staff were okay although you had to make a point of standing at the bar for some time before anybody served you, I would have imagined that it would be waiter service.

Bed was comfy however; there was some sort of mad clanging noise about every 20 minutes which kept us up most of the night. It seemed to be coming from the air conditioning so we turned it off completely but that didn't stop it either.

We didn’t stay for breakfast as I think £16.50 each is ridiculous – who on earth would want to spend £33 on two breakfasts? Thought we would have a cup of coffee in the room in the morning, especially as there was little fridge and a small bottle of fresh milk had been put in it which was a nice touch. However, when we opened the fridge, the room was cooler than the inside of the fridge and consequently the milk had gone off and as such could not be used! Not fantastic and just added to the list of things that were annoying.

Overall summary is that the room was lovely, information advising that there was a wedding being held would have been a help in whether or not to book, staff indifferent, broken night’s sleep, breakfast extortionate.

We nearly always stay in the Radisson Edwardian in Manchester and fancied a change – needless to say we will be going back to the Radisson.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple