“Fantastic”

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 6, 2008

This place is fantastic.

I stayed here by accident (work booked it when I was visiting a customer in the area). I couldn't believe how welcoming, friendly and helpful the staff were.

The room was amazing - really lush with massive windows and the bathroom on a mezzanine level overlooking the room and big wondows.

I ate in the hotel that night and had gorgeous food (the chunky home-cut chips are a must).

I reccomend trying to get a last-minute booking if you can, where you can probably get a good price on these fab rooms (I think my work booked my room through laterooms.com).

A must stay if you're in Manchester....

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Parton30

Reviewed April 30, 2008

As a constant UK Business traveller I find myself in Manchester around 4 times a month and I have stayed in more or less all of the big hotels with more or less satisfaction.

I stayed at the Great John Street Hotel for 2 nights midweek last week and I have to comend them on what is truly an intimate, boutique, welcoming environment. I was greeted with pleasure and made to feel like I was the most important person there throughout my stay.

I wa most impressed that there I was not merely a booking number, or a name in the diary I was David Jones-Federer and nothing was too much trouble. Everything that a hotel guest could want is on hand and if it isnt the staff and management make sure that it is only a matter of moments until it is.

I appreciate all hotels and you cant beat 5 star luxury - well actually I find that I can, I find that not only will I contunue to make my bookings at the Great John Street but I will endeavour to spread the word to my colleagues and clients about this hidden gem in Manchester.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank federerphil
Reviewed April 27, 2008

Booked the hotel through their website using the late room availability. Advertised at £120, rang up to find the last £120 room (Baby Grand) had just been sold, but a Boudoir Grand available for £130 (standard rate £255).

An absolutely gorgeous hotel. Was a little nervous of booking due to some bad reviews on here, but glad I did. Room was superb - we were escorted up to the room by our 'butler' who carried the luggage. On entering the room we were greeted by classical music from the in room CD player.

Duplex room with bed on the ground floor. On the mezzanine was a fabulous roll top bath (not in a bathroom but open!) walk in rain shower and sink. The WC was in a separate room thankfully.

Room furnishings were opulent, with lovely furniture.

The absolute piece de resistance of the hotel is the rooftop terrace. Complete with hot tub and good views over Manchester.

One word of warning…..the hotel does make itself available for private functions so you could find on arrival that some areas are off limits (the downstairs bar in our case). This was not a problem to us as the rooftop bar is by far the better option (well on a fine day at least!). But if I was to go again (which I have every intention of doing), on booking I would ask if any of the hotel facilities would be restricted during my stay.

The reception area is small. We had the misfortune of arriving behind a large wedding party so check in took a while.

BUT…the small niggles with the place were not enough to put me off this fabulous hotel and I can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sheffield1971
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Booked to stay one night at Great John Street after a recommendation from a friend. I was not disappointed. Lovely hotel, great service from the staff, everyone was very friendly and welcoming - especially in the bar.

The room we had was lovely - only one thing though, we opted to have breakfast in our room and I ended up having to eat it off my knees - with there only being one table in the room!

Overall, a really lovely place to stay with excellent staff - would definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joe1878
Reviewed April 2, 2008

Ok we have had some poor reviews of this hotel - probably sparked by this being a let down on the hype and value for money.

Our experience last weekend was actually very good and we would definitely stay here again. We managed to get a good deal on the hotel's website and we were upgraded on arrival to a room which lets face it was stunning. Open bathroom in a split level suite. DAB Stereo system to play with and a well stocked mini bar that wasn't too expensive

The Oyster Bar is very comfortable although the decor is overdone. The minuture ladder ( 3 rungs!) in the small library room off the main bar is cheesy. That said bar service was excellent. The prices were not that expensive in my view. Bottle of wine average £18-£25 and decent labels too.

Didn't like the charge for valet service. If you arrive after 6pm on Saturday parking outside is free and plentiful. Its a quiet road and you wont get the late night revellers passing and taking a fancy to your wing mirrors. They charge £25 to "valet park"

Location is perfect for the Tower Centre - the breakfast was just right. Great choice of mains.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2008

Had heard this place was pretty cool, so thought it might make a change from the usual suspects in Manchester. Design of the place is nice, but thats about it. Details such as no Rose Champagne!!! and not enough towells you can bear. The big problem was trying to sleep. You could hear every single noise from all the surrounding rooms. On a weekend there is obviously a lot of late late nighters and you hear everything they say and do. Clearly no effort on soundproofing whatsoever.

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank Manctripper
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I read a few reviews on this hotel having never stayed before and it lived up to all expectations. I would reccomend it highly for people who want a great location, great rooms and great service.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple