“Hotel and food lovely let down by service”

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
“Hotel and food lovely let down by service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Checked inn at 3pm, 2 bags were in the room and the wife's bag out side of the room zip was open. NOT happy..
Breakfast time food was tip top. But asked for a fill up on the coffees and the lady only got one coffee so I had to go back again. To ask for another coffee. There was no brown sauce only red.. The lady said I will go and get you the red.. No sign of the red.. Never came back to me. To say we have or I'm sorry I forgot.. I'm upset because I love the place.. Would I come back no.. Front of house team were really good. And the bar staff were lovely too. The only thing was wrong with the front of house was they said we will give you a call when the room is done... They never.... I'm not a person to moan I promise.. That.. We come Manchester twice a year.. And I would love to move here..

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Penfold1204
OpsEclectic, General Manager at Great John Street Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted to read you found our team friendly and accommodating however I am disappointed we failed to deliver on certain aspects of the service we pride ourselves on. I can assure you we welcome your feedback and have reviewed our procedures to ensure the issues you experienced are not repeated.

Once again thank you for your feedback

Richard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Just wanted to let you know that ALL my staff had an amazing night and we will definitely be booking again next year.We have already had a few Christmas Parties but nothing was as enjoyable and well organised as last night.The food was lovely,great music and all your staff were brilliant.

Thankyou also for booking me such a beautiful room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I just spent NYE at GJS for the first time. I have visited previously staying for the night and although I felt it was very expensive, I enjoyed the luxury feel of the hotel, the beautiful rooms and great breakfast. So I decided to try the NYE Celebrations. The food was good, the band was ok a bit disappointing that there was no official countdown. Atmosphere unfortunately not fantastic.
Pro's - lovely and quirky boutique hotel with stunning rooms and elegant bar/public areas
Food is mostly delicious - BBQ style food on offer on NYE which was really tasty and of high quality
Hot Tub on the pretty Rooftop Bar

Now for the Negatives - the hotel automatically add 10% to every drink/food order. When you are already paying extortionate prices like £6.50 for a small glass of red wine this seems excessive! It just seems like at every possible opportunity the hotel are trying to squeeze every last penny from its customers which leaves a bad taste in the mouth when you already paying a lot of money to stay there in the first place. Mini bar is not very inventive and like most hotels very expensive. For a hotel of this calibre I'd expect there to be some complimentary bits and pieces in the room, but other than toiletries there is no complimentary nibbles or water. I'd mentioned it was our anniversary and although acknowledged there was no effort made to add anything complimentary to the room or make it special. On my first visit there was a breakfast menu and I chose the made to order Irish breakfast with white and black pudding which was really tasty. But this time around there was no menu options just a cooked breakfast buffet and no black or white pudding. So limited options but they still charged the same high price of nearly £17 each for the breakfast.
I have stayed in a number of 4 and 5 star hotels and don't mind paying if im getting good value, in fact the saying you get what you pay for is often true. But in this hotel it just seems that they fall so far short from delivering sincere and personalised customer centred service. This is what could make this such a great hotel experience. The hotel itself is classy but the service and atmosphere, although perfectly polite and nice enough,comes across as a little insincere and pretentious. And for what you are paying that's just not good enough. Such a shame as its a lovely hotel aesthetically, but theres just something missing. I honestly thought I was going to be charged to breathe on the premises at one point. And that's not a very good way to make your customer feel. There are just little thoughtful things that the hotel could do to create that level of personalised service that matches the 4 star rating and price tag. And it probably wouldn't cost that much either but would make a huge difference to the customer experience. Can't say I'll be rushing back to stay again unfortunately.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank jen362
Thank you for your feedback. It was great to read that you enjoyed most aspects of our hotel during your stay and that you had returned following a great experience previously. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. With regards the 10% service charge, we have signage up at all bars and on our menus stating this is a discretionary charge, I apologise we had not made this clearer. Our brunch buffet, a “one off” for New Years Day, was offered to cater for those having partied till late and was available till 2pm, the price being in line with other city centre hotels. We do welcome all feedback and if you do return I am confident your experience will be very different.

Once again thank you for your feedback

Richard
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Good venue for smallish weddings so our choice for 40 day guests and 60ish evening guests. We had the roof top lounge which is a lovely location but be aware if you book your wedding here you'll only be allowed to use this area which can get cramped if the weather is bad outside as the rooftop terrace is unusable. This becomes more apparent when the room is being turned around between the various parts of the day. The hotel does hold multiple weddings on the same day so you'll be specifically told you cannot enter other parts of the hotel on your day, we weren't told this when booking and it was only specifically stated during the final preparations. This means the opportunities for photos in the hotel are limited if the weather is bad. Bronwen who's the hotels wedding planner is ok but seems very focused on getting your money and getting contracts signed (for example the final amount payable and due date were typed in huge yellow font, highlighted in red on the bottom of the final contract, that seemed rather rude.) and only provides the bare minimum when it comes wedding planning. Her main focus is getting the information the hotels needs to meet it's obligations so don't expect much in in the way of advice or help that's above and beyond. The service provided by the entertainment manager Dave who runs the day is exceptional. The day ran like clockwork and nothing was too much trouble. The food was also wonderful and there's plenty of it considering the high standards, all the serving staff were attentive and courteous. The rooms are unique and very luxurious and all the guests that stayed over were pleased. The breakfast that will be provided the next day is not the same as the full paying guests get. It's a buffet style and no better than any other chain hotel breakfast I've had. I do recommend this hotel but just consider the issue around space when booking if you're having more than the numbers quoted above and don't let the "all business with a smile" attitude of Bronwen put you off.

Room Tip: If you feel the need for 2 baths then rooms 30 and 32 have these.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Happycouple744
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my Wife for a weekend break. The hotel is an old school and has kept with the character of an old school. The bar is very relaxed, the staff are informative, the rooms are spacious and extremely stylish and the location is perfect for a walk into the City Centre. Will definitely return.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Arrived early & the room was ready, which was a good start. Greeting from Reception & Concierge could have been friendlier...........they didn't seem to agree on anything! Room was OK, but small and very cold. Turned the radiator on but the heating was off totally, so had to wait for it to be switched on before it would warm up. Huge draughty windows didn't help any; the curtains were billowing! Public rooms are lovely/homely and cosy. Breakfast was good. No full-length mirror and poor lighting so not a pleasure to get ready for a nite out. I think this hotel is most suited to those attending an event there.........the main bar was closed when we arrived and then again the morning we left - so its quite restricting as a guest otherwise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mistycarol
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Yum Yum, are the words to describe afternoon tea at the Great John Street Hotel. The afternoon was enhanced by a group of enthusiasts dancing the Lindi hop, the square tango to mention just a few.
The sandwiches were thick to busting and there were endless pots of tea. I was very greedy by asking for more sandwiches and couldn't finish them all because they were so dense. A good time was had by all highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
King Street Townhouse
The Lowry Hotel
The Lowry Hotel
#3 of 20 in Salford
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,381 reviews

Been to Great John Street Hotel? Share your experiences!