“Nice Face Shame About The Noise”

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 17, 2008

Had heard this place was pretty cool, so thought it might make a change from the usual suspects in Manchester. Design of the place is nice, but thats about it. Details such as no Rose Champagne!!! and not enough towells you can bear. The big problem was trying to sleep. You could hear every single noise from all the surrounding rooms. On a weekend there is obviously a lot of late late nighters and you hear everything they say and do. Clearly no effort on soundproofing whatsoever.

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank Manctripper

Reviewed March 17, 2008

I read a few reviews on this hotel having never stayed before and it lived up to all expectations. I would reccomend it highly for people who want a great location, great rooms and great service.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2008

We were looking forward to a girly weekend away in Manchester and unfortuantely the weekend was ruined by our stay at this totally over-priced hotel. When we checked in everything seemed ok but later on we were told that there was a wedding booked at the hotel and that we couldn't use some of the facilities (we were never made aware of this when booking). Also once in bed after a meal out I we didn't get a wink of sleep. DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 11!!! By the lift shaft and all we could hear was the lift going up and down all night. Also when guests arrived back at hotel and had to buzz to get in (not 24hour door) - we heard it. When checking out, we told the staff of our problems and all they did was take off the car parking charge. How generous!!! The decor of the hotel is fabulous - beautifully done but we were let down in every way by the staff and the overall experience was a total disappointment. I would rather stay in a Travel Lodge than there again!!

Stayed: December 2007
5  Thank AnnieYorkshire
Reviewed February 9, 2008

Lovely all suite boutique hotel, situated on a quiet street a stones throw from danesgate.

Room, baby grand, was very clean and roomy, flat screen TV and CD stereo, bed very comfortable! Duplex room so upstairs to the cast iron bath and seperate shower room big enough for a party! and seperate toilet.

Bar ambient and relaxing, check in and out effortless.

Hot tub on roof terrace!

Parking is on street. However valet parking is avaliable for £25. Car is taken to a local pay car park.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 5, 2008

Having read the other reviews I tend to agree with the general feeling. The hotel is absolutely fantastic & a real treat to stay in, however, the attitude of the staff is below par - especially for the price of the hotel. This is a shame because they do let the place down.

I've stayed there twice so was hoping the welcome might have improved the second time but it is still pretty unhelpful. Despite the fact that the hotel is not that central, they seem irritated when you ask for help getting a taxi, and wouldn't arrange one to collect me to bring me back from central manchester later that day.

Despite this I will stay again because the rooms & bathrooms and food are exceptional.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2008

Last night, I was extremely fortunate to be able to stay at the Great John Street Hotel (GJS) in Manchester on business.

I have stayed in most of the hotels in Manchester, the Lowry, the City Inn, the Mal, the Hilton, however none of these have the character, style or confidence of delivery as the Great John.

I parked my car in the refreshingly quiet street outside, and walked into their atmospherically lit, opulent and classy reception where the receptionist was calm, professional and polite as she checked me in.

From check in, the butler carried my bags and walked me through the quaint, cute school themed corridors to the lift and up to my room. The whole interior has the original features of the original school, however the interior feels extremely opulent and is a true retreat from the hussle and bussle.

My room was a baby duplex suite, with a gorgeous bed, and a deep, roll top bath and wet room on the floor above. Very classy indeed, with 2 air conditioning units, gorgeous toiletries and linens.

In the evening, I visited the schools Playground. Situated on the roof, this is an fantastic heated area, with comfortable chairs, decking and a lovely hot tub, all looking over the corner shop in Coronation street. A very nice area indeed.

Breakfast was gorgeous (if at the top end of hotel breakfast prices) with locally sourced products, and the novely of boiled eggs and dipping soldiers!

Their is very little negative that can be said. The only issues I had was that my DVD player was faulty and the air conditioning was faulty. Nothing to worry about though as the staff were attentive and resolved any problems that were brought to their attention.

I stay away most nights of the week, and cannot think of a nicer hotel experience than that of the Great John Street Hotel.

Great Staff
Great Location
Great Rooms
Good Prices

Don't be silly and go to a big chain, visit here - you will love it.

I was allocated room 40, which is one of their duplex baby grand suites.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank tonyblogging
Reviewed January 24, 2008

Brought my partner to see a machester united game and thought this would be the highlight of the weekend......until we arrived at this amazing hotel. From the front door the welcome from hotel staff was fantastic. The food and facilites go beyond any expectations. Then theres the room, we stayed in the eclectic suite with twin baths and steam shower and availed of a pampering spa treatment which is second to none with champagne included. A footballing weekend turned into one of the most romantic stays we ve experienced.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple