“Made my partners birthday perfect!!!!!!”

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Ireland
“Made my partners birthday perfect!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I booked myself and my partner in this hotel for his 21st Birthday, it was amazing! The room was gorgeous and the bed was heaven! The room was split into 2 levels with twin baths next to each other, seperate shower cubicle and the room looked over onto coronation street. The bar area was suberb and had such a great and cosy atmosphere. Perfect location- not far from the centre but yet you would never know as it is still tucked away. The roof terrace is the place to be on a summer's evening, we were the only one's up there and it was so lovely! This place made my partner's 21st perfect! Once we had checked out he was already planning when we were going to come back!! Which we will be without a doubt! Thank you so much Tiffany for an amazing stay!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Rugby
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Lovely hotel with friendly staff. Unique position (opposite Granada Studios so expect to see Autograph hunters). Rooms are beautifully presented in a 'shabby chic' style, more emphasis on chic than shabby. A few tweaks could take it from good to great. Will come back. Sister hotel in Didsbury was also lovely.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Loved the location, right next to Granada studios. We arrived at the same time as a wedding party and reception seemed a bit fazed at the sudden input of people, finding it difficult to deal with it, though they were certainly polite. Our room was lovely, on the ground floor though the actual room was on a mezzanine floor with a quaint rolltop bath in a corner. Would certainly recommend staying here though would not eat in. The bar menu is very limited and the cocktails are pricey, breakfast unless included as part of the room deal is once again on the steep end of a price range. All in all, certainly a central spot to head out from, explore the bustle of life in Manchester and head back in for a restful night.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank S55NG
Manchester
Reviewed July 30, 2011

My other half booked one night here for my birthday this year. The hotel is loctaed in a convenient location for nice bars (Epernay, Spinningfields, Deansgate) but also has the advantage of being in a quiet street that has a small park close by. The bar area is very well presented as are all the communal areas of the hotel.

Our room was split into 2 levels: bedroom as you walked in then stairs up to a small lounge area and the bathroom. The decor was lovely and there were 2 fans, air con, radio, books and 2 tvs. The bed felt like sleeping on a cloud, it was truly the most comfortable bed I have slept in! I also loved the charm of the beams and decor as the building was the old school house.

There were a few minor issues that I would never normally have bothered about but when you're paying over £200 a night to stay in a prestigious hotel they irked me a little. These were:
- paint drips, messy tile grouting, gaps in skirting etc - just small finishes that I'd expect to be perfect.
- the mirror was too high up for me to see my whole face in (even with a cushion on the chair) and the lighting was poor for any lady to do her make up. They could do with a small mirror light.
- the fans were extremely dusty.

The hotel mistakenly gave us some kind of romance package (champagne, chocolates, rose petals etc) that my other half had not asked for and so we were not charged for this which was nice. We opted to not go for breakfast as I thought nearly £17 for berries and yoghurt or eggs on toast (there are many other options I hasten to add) was a bit much after having paid a lot for the room itself.

All in all I liked this hotel and would love to go back again - I would just do so when there was a special offer on or get one of their late availability deals.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fontwell36
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I have just stayed at this hotel for one night, but will defiantly go back quirky rooms lovely afternoon tea and good central location. 5 mins from Opera House and 10 mins from Kendals on Deansgate.

I have been going into Manchester all my life and have never seen this Hotel as it's tucked away which means you don't get rowdy people walking by.

Will defiantly stay again

• Stayed July 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We had ours works summer BBQ here at the cost of £36 a head plus drinks on top. It was held on the roof top which is a lovely setting (despite the poor weather) and we were greeted by champagne which was a lovely opening touch. However, when the food came, there was no BBQ in sight (not too bothered by this) and then we were served the smallest, driest portions ever.

The menu boasts: Sirloin Beef, Clove studded ham, Leg of lamb, Pousson (baby whole) chicken, Side salads, Roast baby potatoes, Fresh breads, Halloumi cheese, Olives, Falafel, Hummus, Pitta bread, and then states: No need to choose, have it all!

This menu was a joke! It sounds amazing but in reality half of the stuff wasn't even available, such as the halluomi! and the portions were tiny and dry and shrivelled. I was given a tiny cube of meat and 3 potatos? I'm not a big person, but I would expect more for a starter and certainly wouldn't pay more than £7! Worse was the fact that all this meat was so so dry and over cooked.

I think its bad that a company pays good money for a works BBQ (a few thousand), and then get served such bad food, and so little of it. For £36 a head, would they serve such sub-standard food in their restaurant? I will never find out as I wouldn't ever visit again.

I didn't even bother trying the desserts.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank MaldivesDreamer
flossiek, Manager at Great John Street Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
Since the 1st July 2011 we have catered for 4 corporate BBQ's. It is our policy to contact the organiser on the next working day to check customer satisfaction.
We have done this with the organisers of the 4 events held in July 2011.
The organisers that we have spoken to have been happy and expressed their satisfaction with the events, however as these events averaged 100 guests I appreciate they cannot comment for everybody.
If the reviewer concerned would like to contact me directly I would be happy to discuss their feedback in more detail.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I have been commuting to Manchester for over a year now. I would like to thank you all so much for making this time such a pleasant experience for me.

It is hard enough to be away from home and family, but the staff at GJS have made it so much easier. I really looked forward to the end of the working day when I could come "home" as I have come to view the place!

The staff are excellent - so warm and welcoming. The rooms are comfortable, spotless and beautiful. And breakfasts are outstanding.

I really cannot thank you all enough. This is a wonderful hotel!!

Room Tip: All rooms are unique, but absolutely beautiful