“Burgers & Bowling”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Went to All-Star lanes for a family meal & bowling over easter. With under 18s you are not allowed on the bowling lanes after 6.
Bowling lanes were good, usual selection of balls, if possible it's better to be positioned on one of the end lanes when busy as we were in the middle and with 6 people we felt a little cramped at times.
After bowling we had food in main restaurant, service was good - however it took a long time to bring us water and take orders between courses especially as it wasn't busy.

Food was very nice, I had a burger (rare) with bacon and cheese which comes with fries, with this I had pulled pork broad beans. Burger was very tasty (too much onion / salad / gherkins for others at the table but I thought it was fine). Disappointing you have to pay extra for bacon (£2) and cheese (£1) making it an expensive burger (£15). Definitely advise to have the burger slightly pink, with the extras it was really juicy and one of the better burgers I've had in manchester - in fact it was better than the one I had next door at almost famous!
Pulled pork broad beans were very nice and as with all sides came well presented in side dishes.

Dessert - rockie road sundae - this was very well done, 4 scoops of ice cream (2 choc, 2 vanilla), fresh cream, big chunks of rockie road, marshmallows and a side serving of toffee sauce. Very nice dessert.

I think I picked the things they do best on the menu as others were not as fond of the food as I was (chicken basket seemed a little bland, sticky toffee pudding was very generic and again a little bland etc).

Overall I enjoyed it, it was a little pricey for what you get but will definitely go again.

AllStarLanes, General Manager at All Star Lanes Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Nick,

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm please to hear that you enjoyed your experience and there are some interesting points you've raised.

Pleasingly I think most of your food comments have been addressed on the new food menu we are introducing next week.

We're proud of our burger and take a lot of care to source great and consistent produce. Our recipe includes a reasonably high bone marrow content to ensure lots juiciness and flavour. We lock this flavour in by cooking it at a very high temperature on a Josper charcoal grill to impart a smokey chargrilled flavour.
The good news is that this won't change on the new menu but the better news is that we've dropped the price on it. We think that pound for pound this should be one of the best value vs quality burgers in Manchester. I hope if revisit us you'll agree!

We have, however reworked our southern fried chicken recipe and replaced it with a 'Buttermilk Chicken' dish which although very similar is even tastier. I hope your guests will give us a second bite of the cherry and come try the new recipe.

I am slightly confused by the reference to a sticky toffee pudding as thre isn't one on the menu - perhaps it was the brownie? Assuming this is the case then we've also reworked this dish as part of the new menu too so hopefully you'll see an improvement there also.

Thanks again for the review, we review these carefully to ensure we are always learning from our guests and their feedback.

Please do feel free say hi should you revisit us - I'd be really interested to hear your comments on the new menu.

Best wishes & kind regards,

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I visited this venue as part of a hen party and we had a very fun night!! Great entertainment but... I feel they have sneaky techniques to sell more they asked if we wanted a large drink (a double translated) and they were constantly at the table asking for drinks orders. We ate in the restaurant which was quite basic but once again trying to have add ons at every opportunity. It is a fun night out but it does come at a cost.

AllStarLanes, General Manager at All Star Lanes Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Jacqui,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your visit, and I'm sorry that you feel like we were being sneaky.

It is certainly true that our food menu is designed and constructed to be flexible to all guests and their respective budgets. As a result we like to give people the option when they visit to have either an inexpensive complete meal with a soft drink or a more a la carte experience such as a charcoal - grilled ribeye with freshly prepared bernaise sauce and as many toppings as they'd like, accompanied by a nie bottle of Chateau Neuf du Pape.

This way, the guest can chooose how much or little they'd like to spend. Of course, as a restaurant, we are a business and part of that means that we have certain service standards in place.
Part of offering good service is to offer people the choice to try more interesting drinks or provenant produce and generally this comes at a price simply because it costs more to purchase and to prepare.
Moreover, as a business, it's crucial that we do offer this choice to our guests because with a business model such as ours with such high overheads, we simply wouldn't be able to afford stay open if we didn't sell more than an inexpensive meal and soft drink to all of our guests.

In terms of being offered these at the table in the restaurant, our service standards require that we offer a level of service that means you don't need to get up from the table or have to attract your sever's attention because they've been trained to a standard to anticipate your needs. Although this is quite a commonplace standard in most restaurants in Manchester, we often do struggle to communicate the juxtaposition between our primary restaurant & bar offering and the lanes at the back of the venue for diners that would like to bowl afterwards.

I hope that this goes some way to explain why you feel like you do after your visit. I'm glad you had a great time and found the atmosphere worth 5 stars. Perhaps on your next visit, armed with this information you might find your way to rating us as highly for the service and food.

Please do feel free to drop me a line with any further queries or say hi next time you're in.

Best wishes & kind regards,

angus@allstarlanes.co.uk

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I hadn't been bowling in a long time and thought would give this place a try and so glad we did. I felt very looked after, the staff were brilliant. I had the rolla girl cocktail and it was super yummy. Good value on Mondays as well. Would definitely go again and helps winning at bowling as well

AllStarLanes, General Manager at All Star Lanes Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Hi Pippa!

Really glad you had a good time, Thanks for the feedback! The Roller Girl is certainly one of our favourites too so I'm glad you enjoyed the bubble gum goodness.

There's a new cocktail menu coming in next month so make sure you come and do a sampling session when you're next in town!

All the best,

Reviewed April 10, 2014

We happened to call in for a cocktail on our way back to our hotel. Great atmosphere and really good cocktails. it was reasonably busy and you can book tables so next time we will.
I had a Tommy Margarita - fantastic.

Dear Peter,

Thank you so much for your kind comments after your visit the other day, The Tommy's Margarita is a modern classic and a most civilised way of drinking tequila - we thoroughly endorse your consumption of it at any available opportunity!

If you'd like to reserve a table for the next time you visit then just drop us a line on 0161 8713601 and ask to speak to Veronica, she'll be more than happy to get you booked in. Alternatively you can email her direct on veronica@allstarlanes.co.uk.

Perhaps you should book in ahead of time to investigate our new cocktail menu, due to arrive at the start of April?

Either way we look forwards to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes & many thanks for your custom,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

If like me, you like a good American bar, then voila! Here's a good one in Manchester city centre. I just discovered this place during a recent visit to the cinema (AMC is just around the corner). It is in a great spot (just off Deansgate) and has a very cool American feel to it. Seems like most young people go here for bowling, but we first went in for a few drinks as the bar menu looked really promising (full of beers, cocktails etc. which you can't get anywhere else). We weren't disappointed; every single drink (cocktails) we tried was made to perfection. The atmosphere was very lively and the music was fantastic (just like the bars in the USA). The place was so good that later that evening after watching a film, we came back for a bite to eat. The food was sensational! The portions are very good (even the starters). The staff are really nice and helpful too; when we got in, there was no space, but they were quick to fix us a table at the very busy restaurant. Although we were told there's a 15 minute wait on the food, we got all our plates within 10 minutes. All in all, would highly recommend this place, for drink, food and proper socialising.

1  Thank Behnoush
AllStarLanes, General Manager at All Star Lanes Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Behnoush,

I'm so glad you had a good time when you visited recently! It's not often people take the time to write a positive review so we really notice and appreciate it when you do!

Please keep us in mind the next time you go to the cinema and please feel free to say hi if you see me on the restaurant floor.

See you again soon,