“Pretty Special”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This place is aiming high and has the prices to match. Portions aren't massive but.... the food is delicious and feels unusual and original. The cocktail bar is a good way to start the evening, pricey but really good. The food was stunning and the service intelligent and friendly. I look forward to going again sometime.

2  Thank Grumpy_Gargoyle

Reviewed October 13, 2013

This place needs to decide what it's doing. I heard it was competing for a Michelin star which it has no chance of getting in this state..

We booked late on a Saturday and didn't realise it was a tasting menu until we arrived, our fault but could have been much clearer when we booked.

It was a good start, great greetings, shown to a nice table in the bar but that's where it ends.

We were told canapés would be with us shortly..half an hour later they arrived..

We were given a drinks menu and waited too long in my opinion for drinks.

We weren't given the option of looking at the menu at any point, 40 minutes in we asked and we given the lunch, dinner and taster menu?? There is only the option of a taster menu so confusing to be given the whole range..

The menu was far to Heston for it's surroundings..it felt all wrong,
Noisy footballers and made up girls danced and drank around us whilst the dance music pumped out but we're contemplating a Michelin-esq menu with snails and oxtail..wrong, wrong, wrong..

The canapés were pretty awful, beetroot and fois gras macaroons which tasted terrible, some weird fig paper and a salmon square. It was all just odd, like canapés in a nightclub..???

With all this in mind, we cancelled dinner and went to the Gaucho instead.

If you want to provide a fine dining experience, you can't do it like this! The staff were around but not attentive in any way. The atmosphere was odd and the whole thing was mixed up. The bar staff need training, nobody really knew what was going on as there is a huge disconnection between restaurant and bar.

I was quite excited at the prospect of this place but left utterly disappointed. They have a long, long way to go. I've never left a restaurant before a meal so in fairness I can't comment on the menu, hopefully next time I'll make it to the table..hopefully..

5  Thank Foodgrump100
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Before I go on to describe just how brilliant this place is, I do want to point how how funny I find those who go somewhere like this and then complain about the portion size! If you want to go to a restaurant and come away feeling stuffed, go somewhere else. Like an all you can eat buffet. Don't come to a restaurant that offers technical brilliance, stunning flavour combinations and an incredible atmosphere. Having said all that, having worked my way through the 12 course taster menu, I certainly didn't feel like stopping off that the chippy on the way home.

Secondly, accept it's going to be expensive. I counted no more than 30 or so covers, with pretty much 1-2-1 waitress service and more types of crockery and cutlery than you can see in John Lewis and Selfridge's combined! Not to mention the number of cooking staff and drinks mixers. Again, if you expect this level of dining and service for £50 a head then you're in the wrong place.

From start to finish this was an amazing experience. We were waited on brilliantly by Hannah C who was friendly, attentive and incredibly knowledgeable - so nice to be served by someone so passionate about the food and drinks she was serving - we were able to discuss our favourites knowing she had such an extensive knowledge of the menu. What also set this place aside from a lot of other 'fine dining' experiences is how perfect the service is pitched. Polite and attentive without being stuffy and informal - perfect for us Northern types - we don't want snooty overly formal waiting staff - we want a friendly smile, and the chance to chat.

I'm not going to go through each dish, safe to say Aiden Byrne's choices on the tasting menu were fantastic - highlights were the pigeon, the veal and the turbot dishes,though singling out 3 out of 12 is an injustice to the other 9 truly exceptional dishes (actually, the Manchester tart was brilliant as well!). The quality of ingredients, the depth of flavour and the technical excellence in putting this together is breathtaking. And Aiden himself was incredibly friendly and became part of the service by adding the finishing touches to the pigeon course at our table, which was a fabulous touch.

We opted for the drinks flight - again, innovative drinks which complemented each course beautifully. Who would have thought that spiced cherry vodka or a sparkling sake would work so well?

Overall, the experience (for it is just that, an experience) was incredible. Yes, it's expensive, but I walked away thinking that it was absolutely worth every penny. I can't wait to see this restaurant grow into one of the best dining experiences in the North, if not the whole UK. Go, you won't regret it. I'm certainly looking forward to the spring menus....

2  Thank Tim W
Reviewed October 11, 2013

After hearing good reports about this restaraunt, i visited with work colleagues expecting an experiance befitting the reports and the self promotion.

The location is in a high rise office block 2nd floor for the restaraunt 12th floor for the bar, the bar is nicely laid out and the expansive views help create an atmosephere, but the staff and attention to detail let it down, whilst we ordered cocktails the wait was too long, as we were sat with no drinks and staff seemed to be plenty, nobody enquired as to if we wanted a drink or were ok with no drinks.

The restaraunt was well laid out, plenty of space around the tables, and the service was better, for me the food was nice, not fantastic, portion size was small (or was it the plates were too big)

I understand this restaraunt is staffed by the employees from a number of the groups restaraunts (grill on the alley, Australasia etc) for me the staff are very nice but I cant help feeling they havent grasped the project and lack the professlionism I believe is required in a restaraunt of this calibre.

I will visit again and hope to find a sharper more tuned in experiance.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I ate here in the first couple of weeks of opening.
We had booked back in May when I heard about this place opening on the grapevine. It's as amazing as they promised it would be.
It looks very industrial Manchester but with the right amount of decadence to make it feel luxurious.
We had chosen to dine from the dinner tasting menu. So we first were whisked up to the cocktail lounge on the 12th floor by the very lovely hosts and hostesses. We had amuse bouche and cocktails. I was more than pleased with the view, service and a little taste of the food to come!!
It's very modern with booths, seating areas and outside seating too.
We then went to the restaurant on the 2nd floor. It has a wrap round balcony which is nice.
The tables are well set out and not too near to each other. There is a private dining area and a chef's table.
Again a mixture of booths, tables etc.
The food was absolutely amazing.
I love love loved it!! The flavours so well thought out it was beautiful and quirky and original. Loved the onion butter.
We didn't have the wine flight as we chose to stick with cocktails which were all fab.
It was a full restaurant with some having a la carte and tasting menu.
We were there for about 4 hours and at no time were we rushed in fact the opposite. We were treated like very special guests who were old friends. Hannah was amazing. 5 stars to her!!
Last of all but by no means least......Aiden Byrne came to talk to us at our table and have his photo taken with us!! I was a bit star struck. But for those non foodie star spotters Van Persi and Nani were dining there that night too.
It was an amazing night and I'm going again and soon!!
Go and try it it's Manchester House and it's exactly what Manchester needed!!