“Great little Japanese”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

This is the 2nd time I've visited this great little addition to Burton road in West Didsbury and to be honest it's just what was needed.
There are many eateries along Burton road but not many I'd return back to in a hurry, however this is certainly one of the better ones.

It's a small restaurant and is clean, pleasant and airy. Upon entering the first thing you notice is the authenticity of the place.
It is run by what looks like a Japanese family, the products are all fresh (you can see the chef preparing the food in the open plan kitchen).
There is a great choice and selection of food both hot and cold and the feeling you get is that you're eating authentic food cooked from a local Japanese home.

Last night we had a shared appetiser platter for 2 to start which consisted of gyoza, tempura prawns, calamari peppers, cougettes & sweet potatoe and chicken.
There were 3 separate dipping sauces on the side to go with the different dishes.
All dishes were not battered but the tempura was very light and not at all greasy. I've had a similar dish in a thai restaurant and it was far too heavy, this however was excellent!

For main I has a Japanese beef curry with boiled rice and my partner had a chicken katsu curry. Both were tremendously good.

There is plenty of sushi choices as well as noodles and ramen.

I have eaten in many good Japanese restaurants in London and this is up there with them.

The only thing I would say is that as it appears that there is just 1 lady working on the floor and 1 chef they struggle somewhat as even though the place is very small it fills up as the food is good so be prepared to wait a while.
They also do takeaways.
Enjoy!

1  Thank Genes07767

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My friend and I stopped in for an early meal so for the most part had the place to ourselves. The interior is nicely done and has a cosy feel. The waitress was a little slow to take our order but I think they like you to take your time and don't want to pester you. We had a platter of sushi to share which came in good time and was nicely presented. I'm not much of a sushi eater, I enjoyed it but I found that a lot of the different bits and pieces tasted the same! My favourite was the salmon and avocado roll and mackerel sushi. Fun to use chopsticks and my friend said the green tea was tasty.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Been here a few times and, on each occasion, have loved it. Large menu, fresh tasting sushi and sashimi and lovely, spicy, warming curries and noodles. Good portion sizes too. Attentive waitress and the food seems to be made to order which is why it can take a little while. The interior is clean and efficient and I will continue to be a regular.

1  Thank NSM20
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We visited Sakura House tonight following rave reviews from my sister. Great sushi and fantastic quality sashimi. We shared a mixed platter, sashimi dish and the house Sakura roll, vey very nice! Definitely a new favourite!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Ate here a couple of days after Christmas for lunch (12pm). Was pretty empty when we entered but started filling up as we were leaving so get there early for a quieter atmosphere. The food was fantastic, we ate their set menu which is around £24 per person, came with a number of different dishes; Miso starter, Sushi, Fried chicken, rice, steak, udon noodles and salad and it was all delicious! Would definitely recommend it.