“Dazed & Confused”

Arora Hotel Manchester
Ranked #17 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 9, 2006

We stayed here on a Saturday night during a brief visit to Manchester.
I was dissapointed really I think I was expecting the Arora to be something special but sadly it wasn't.
It was all a bit surreal really, like staying in a model village,the strange red furniture in reception was so tiny it obviously wasnt made for sitting on.
We found our room was also small it was like an attic room with sloping ceilings & sloping windows. There was a double bed but no room to walk around the sides although the bathroom was HUGE...
The minibar was empty & you had to call reception in order for it to be stocked. There was some coffee & tea in the drawer and two melamine mugs with teddy bears on, like you would give to a child,
Having said all of this it kind of grew on me after a time and it was clean & warm.
Next morning we went for breakfast which was O.K. but in keeping with the small theme there were only tea plates to eat the cooked breakfast from.. also it felt like being at an Airtours convention as the breakfast room was full of airline pilots and cabin crew.
I came away feeling a bit confused really, it certainly didnt feel like being in a four star hotel like a Radisson or Park Plaza but maybe this is what they are trying to portray??

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank tabitha1414

Reviewed February 9, 2006

I stayed here on 8th February for a business trip to Manchester. As it was a last minute meeting we were told that most of the hotels in Manchester were full due to an event. I had not read any of the reviews before I left so was a bit apprehensive.

My colleague and I checked in with 2 very friendly and polite receptionists. My room was on the first floor.

The bed was lovely and I had a great night's sleep. Only complaint was that the hot water was only warm, I asked my colleague and she said her's was the same. I agree with the comments about towels and toiletries, more would be needed if there was 2 of you in the room.

Did visit the bar for a pre dinner drink but had to wait a while so we left. Did not eat at the restuarant for dinner or breakfast.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank WelshRach
Reviewed November 21, 2005

Great size room, great location and nice and quiet given the city centre location. Was quoted £99 room only on the internet when I booked - however when I checked out the bill was £84 - Bargain. Would defintely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank durhamcowboy
Reviewed November 21, 2005

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Arora and thought it was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room excellent and very clean and the location very close to the tram and the shops in the city centre.

The hotel doesn't have its own car park, but we were directed to one a couple of blocks away where we received a 50% discount on our parking.

The restaurant comes highly recommended, but we didn't try it, preferring one of the many pubs in the surrounding area. The hotel is also close to Chinatown, so there's a fair selection of food close by.

We did have breakfast there one morning, which we regretted immensely. In fact, I would have given the Arora 5 stars if not for the poor quality of the (GBP 10) breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank JohnMcPheat
Reviewed November 13, 2005

The Arora has some of the best rooms in Manchester for a good price. BA are currently offering 3 nights for the price of two if you arrive Friday and depart Mondays up to end March 2006. They also include breakfast in the rate! The bedrooms are spacious with very comfortable pillows, the bathroom again has all you could need. The hotel falls down on the service offered by reception staff and breakfast room staff. Reception staff look like they have no training at all and have no idea what they are doing. Don't expect to be asked did you enjoy your stay here! Again in the breakfast room it seems they have far too many workers who all stand around carrying on with each other - never mind about checking if the food is ok! Some of the danish pastries on offer look well past their prime and the croissants (if you could call them croissants)were greasy and horrible.
However taking all this in context for the price the Arora is hard to beat - as the rooms are very clean and comfortable. You probably end up paying more to stay in a dated smaller room at the Thistle up the street. I've stayed here back in Sep 2004 and again in Nov 2005 - and I would stay again. Arora please work on providing a better breakfast and more welcoming staff!

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank Visitor330
Reviewed November 1, 2005

The Arora is a great hotel, brilliant location, close enough to the action but quiet enough to sleep. That is unless the staff haven't reset the wake up call from a previous guest. We were woken up at 7.30am Saturday after a romantic night out in the city - not what you wnat on a weekend away. We complained at the desk on our way out to shop and they were very apologetic and said it would be rectified. It wasn't, same again on Sunday am but this time after a night out in the bars with friends so even more unwelcome. We also needed more hand towels - only 1 hand, 2 bath and a a bath mat provided. Phoned reception but they never arrived so we 'stole' some from the gym, not what you expect to have to do in a 4* hotel! All that said the rooms are gorgeous, bar is classy and normal city prices and the king size beds are more like 6ft squres. We also had a ground floor room but heard no noise whatsoever when back at around midnight friday, admittedly later on saturday(see previous review). They just need to work on the service. I think we'd go back, but only on a good deal, try activehotels

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank Helen W
Reviewed October 29, 2005

Stayed for 1 night and had ground floor bedroom (no 9). Downstairs bar blaring out music until 2am, management did not seem bothered when I complained twice about the noise, really did spoil my night. Room was nice though, bed comfortable and nice bathroom. Just wish I'd asked for a room on a few floors up, at least I could have got some sleep.

• Stayed: October 2005