“Good for location”

Arora Hotel Manchester
Ranked #18 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I only stayed one night for a concert and found the hotel was quite pleasant. The staff were friendly and informative and assisted in directing us to the M.E.N Arena. The hotel has no private parking although i expected this as it is located in the centre of town however they did provide a discount if you parked at the NCP 5 mins away near Canal Street which was very convenient. The hotel is easy to locate however because it is located on one of the main roads, traffic can be a nightmare. The room itself was pleasant although a bit small. I booked this room following a good deal on last minute however do not think i would've paid the full price otherwise. The pillows were too big however my partner said that she had the best sleep since Las Vegas on the bed. For location this is a great hotel however i didn't see where the 4 star rating came from.

There are newer reviews for Arora Hotel Manchester

Reviewed April 21, 2009

I was very suprised at the lack of welcome at this hotel as i was asured on booking that it was a hotel with excellent customer sevice.
The porter at the front door was very agressive and rude, he was the first person that we encountered at the hotel and this image stuck throughout our 4 day stay.
The Bar area was not an experience that i would have expected the service at the bar, was very bad, although it was early and the barman was preparing the bar for service, we were given a free drink by the reception manager and we watied for about 20 minutes.
The reception Manager was excellent and unfortunately he would be better appreciated in a higher class hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peterinamsterdam
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night in April 2009. The location is great, central. The rooms are ok. We stayed in a king size room and for the price is was adequate. I paid double the price and stayed at Great John Street Hotel the night before but did get double the room and service. It was worth the money.

We had breakfast at the hotel (in our room) and for the price it was rubbish - be warned - do not order.

I am being very picky really as if you want a cheap (ish) hotel which is clean and room size is ok then this is the hotel for you. It is not 4 star and i have stayed in a few four star hotels in Manchester (Midland, City Inn and Great John Street). This one does pale in comparison but it is also half the cost! As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for". I will be sticking with the dearer hotels.

Reviewed April 10, 2009

I stayed at the Arora for a day as I was going to watch a United match(which we won yay)and luckily I had got the room at a good rate probably because it was a Sunday. Staff were very friendly and helpful when we wanted to know where to eat, what to see etc. The rooms wern't that spacious but were very comfortable and clean. There were these amazing beds that were so soft an confortable - I wanted to book another night just to sleep in it again! The bathroom was also very clean and stylish, a good powershower, towel heater and came with towels, soap, bodywash and shampoo. The room also came with an iron and ironing board, and the TV had basic channels aswell as sky news sky1 and a few other channels. You can't hear noise from outside either andd.. there's also room heating and air conditioning. The lifts are also really nice they smell of magnolia or something. I didn't go to the bar and restaurant downstairs so can't say anything about that. It was in a good location too not too close to the busy centre but not far from it either -it was a 5-10 minute walk to from the train station and just 5 minutes away from the main shopping area. I would definately stay at the Arora again for the bed more than anything and I really couldn't fault anything that it had to offer.

Reviewed April 4, 2009

Stayed here recently as I was down in Manchester for a concert at the MEN Arena. Chose this hotel as I had stayed at a Sofitel in Chicago, so thought this hotel would be the same but its a very poor relation in comparison.

Stayed in a "Standard" room - and felt it certainly wasnt worth the price I paid ........
* charged up my mobile phone and when I took the plug out, the socket nearly came out the wall with it!!
* the bed was lumpy - certainly not like "sleeping on a cloud" as it was in Chicago
* there was a hole in the net curtains covering the window (cigarette burn I think)
* got stuck in the shower as the door wouldnt open but eventually the handle allowed me to open the shower door
* noisy neighbours - when will people realise, THE WALLS ARE THIN PEOPLE!!

Another thing to watch out for ....... I booked using Acora Hotels own website and got my
confirmation email, so assumed everything was fine as you do. The day before I was due to leave, I saw the same room for a few pounds cheaper, so booked it and tried to cancel the other booking. The system wouldnt allow me to do so, emailed the hotel (still waiting to hear from them!!), so mentioned it when I checked in. After checking their system, the girl said they only had one bookibng - my 2nd one ...... if I hadnt booked the 2nd time, I would have turned up with a printed confirmation that was invalid and the hotel was full apparently. Makes you wonder whether future bookings ever actually get through ....

The hotel is central - 10 minute walk to Picaddilly Station, 10 minutes walk to Harvey Nics and other shops and a further few minutes from there to the MEN Arena.

Used the "Crew" computer room to check in for my flight the next day - £1 for 1 hour and you get a password from Main Reception.

Good location, but dont think I will be staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 31, 2009

Felt comfortable and happy the minute I walked through the door. Was greeted by the lovely George who was a happy smiley face each time we saw him.
All the staff were friendly helpful and so polite. They actually seemed to really enjoy their work.
Room was lovely with two comfortable double beds and lovely bathrooms.
Had early bird dinner because we were going to Tina Turner concert and because we did not have time to finish our dessert the lovely waitress brought us a tray to carry our wine cheese and dessert up to our room to have on our return. Food was very nice and house red very quaffable and reasonable price.
Only stayed one night but next theatre trip will definately use to avoid packed trains home.
Top marks

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2009

Stayed for one night with family (all grown ups) and we shared a room with two double beds. Location of hotel is superb----and very calm and quiet for a city centre spot--no Saturday night noise at all in the rooms or corridors. Room had two standard size double beds but room had no decoration at all--just bare walls and an old fashioned big box tv high up on a cabinet. Try a Plasma and a few prints please!!
Bathroom was large and modern--but with the most stupid placement of bath/shower controls I have ever seen. They were on the wall out of reach of bath tub area so if you were in the bath you had to get out of it to put more water in--could not reach taps whilst in bath--totally daft!
Room rate was £119 for three people no breakfast incl. Breakfast was pitched to us at £15pp and then £10pp. We didn't take the offer--those are central London prices not Manchester! There were only toiletries and towels for one person even though we booked for three.
Ordered a room service sandwich at 10pm----£7.50 for a tuna roll---ouch! Service was very quick though.
The Hotel buliding is a wonderful Victorian job on the outside which has had the life carved out of it on the inside-----minimalist but not good-----design is bland and boring wherever you look--totally lacking in either period character or good modernist design . Front foyer has had the red vinyl furniture largely replaced with brown fabric Art Deco type armchairs--really ugly. Apart from this the only communal area to sit (apart from the basement bar, ) is the Princess Lounge--think Dr's waiting room so bland that you lose the will to live, not even a TV in there--just a narrow room with some chairs. It looks really cheap as far as decor and ambiance goes.
Staff were never around so can't comment, except for George who was both friendly and helpful at the front door.
Overall OK for one night--any longer and the boredom and blandness would be too much. This was our third stay but our last--there are nicer places surely for £119 . Cliff--get a designer in to sort it out!

• Stayed: March 2009