“small but perfectly formed”
Review of Mr Cooper's

Mr Cooper's
Ranked #109 of 2,345 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The new taste of Mr Cooper’s, a modern dining experience for the growing generation of excited people who find food a part of the canvas of their life, food to be enjoyed whenever and however they want. Quirky, imaginative dishes inspired by the story of Mr Cooper himself, using colourful ingredients whilst utilising home-grown, seasonal favourites. The food is fresh and without fuss, designed to be shared and enjoyed all day in a relaxed setting. Combining modern touches with the history and heritage of Mr Cooper himself, whose house and famous gardens sat on the site back in 1819, Mr Cooper's offers a multitude of different dining settings under one roof. Trees, birdhouses and a gazebo decorate the striking dining room which, with a zesty-green & white colour scheme, ushers the outdoors in. Delivering world class service the award-winning Mr Cooper's Bar is known for its use of avant-garde ingredients and techniques.
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I'd seen the BBC 2 series about chefs trying to get a Michelin star in Manchester, and when an opportunity arose to eat at this restaurant at The Midland Hotel it seemed a good opportunity to find out what all the fuss was about regarding Simon Rogan's cooking.

We ate at lunchtime and were offered an a la carte menu and a fixed price menu consisting of three choices for each course. A bit limited, but we were able to find something we liked for each course on the latter menu. The price was reasonable for the fixed price menu at £19 for 2 courses, £23 for 3.

To start we had ribs, or rather a rib, which was small but tasty. For main course we had a small piece of chicken marinated in soy and wasabi. Concerned about portion size, we ordered a side of chips. The other main course option other than cous cous was five-flavoured hake (orange, lemon, liquorice and two others I can't remember).

Portions were small, but very well cooked and presented. The largest portion was in fact the dessert, where we had a substantial and tasty peach melba, with another option being earl grey custard.

After three courses we felt full and well-satisfied. We had a good bottle of red wine with the meal - a little pricey but very nice.

The staff were efficient and very helpful.

Overall a very good dining experience.

1  Thank missdixon

Reviewed August 14, 2014

I ate here with my husband on a Friday evening. The staff were attentive and welcoming. After some lovely cocktails at the bar we 3 gorgeous courses. I am vegetarian and my starter and main were lovely. My husband also said his food was amazing. The setting was lovely and we had a wonderful evening. I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough, especially for a special occasion or a romantic evening, and will be returning soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Great restaurant. Loved the paintings and decoration as it had a summer garden feel to it. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. I was even given a free glass of prosecco when I told them it was my birthday! I ordered the duck and my boyfriend ordered the salmon, which were both very tender and tasty. We would both definitely eat here again.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

I came here for a birthday meal with a friend a few months ago, and had a really glorious meal. We started with a couple of cocktails in the bar beforehand, followed by three courses of deliciousness, and a shared (and very generous) portion of cauliflower cheese. The caramel tart was particularly noteworthy.

My only minor disappointment was that we were sat in the 'library' area of the 'house' part of the restaurant, and the layout of the restaurant is such that we couldn't see the other areas we wanted a nosey at. We did look after finishing our meals however, and on reflection, our seating will have been much more comfortable than if we'd been sat in the 'garden' part.

Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Came here as a birthday surprise and I was so impressed!! I had the mussel chowder with bone marrow croutons for my starter which was absolutely delicious only problem was I could have eaten twice as much!! I had the duck as my main which again was delicious and cooked perfectly. I couldn't fault the food and the service was great and attentive as well. We also had a couple of lovely cocktails, we all tried something different and each was equally as yummy! Will definitely come here again when I next visit manchester. Next time I might try the Sunday roast as that looked amazing.