“AVOID, not authentic, and terrible food, beer and staff”

Manchester Bierkeller
Ranked #538 of 2,344 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The place looks like any other big club, the beer is rubbish, the food (hog roast) took ages and was poor, the security staff are overbearing

Oh, it was also expensive

The sooner this place closes down the better

3  Thank SteveL1981

Reviewed December 17, 2013

The idea of the Bierkeller is great – Oktoberfest in the centre of Manchester, but the reality just doesn’t match up. The serving staff are generally fine, but the quality of the food, the plastic glasses and the overbearing security staff all leave a lot to be desired. From the description, BangkokBill786 (See review below) might have been in on the same night – it was certainly a similar experience!

2  Thank GrahamSK8
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I was really looking forward to visiting the Bierkeller, for whatever reason I didn't consult TA, silly me. I visited with no expectations what so ever, the idea of German beer and food whilst visiting the Christmas markets was too tempting.
We visited on a Saturday afternoon, straight to the bar for 2 Erdinger, thats the end of my positivity, the beer was flat and served in a plastic glass, disgusting. We were also overcharged for our drinks when we tried to complain we were told that the price list was not up to date and the tills were correct.
We decided to eat here, my son was becoming tetchy as he was hungry and I wanted to sample the German food. What a mistake, the food order was promptly taken by a really nice and friendly waitress (she is wasted in this bar cannot remember her name the only fact I know about her is that she is a law student) son's meal arrived first the pizza looked nice enough and he ate it all. I ordered 2 Bratwurst with saukraut and chips for £6.95 it was decided that this should be enough to share WRONG 2 tiny overcooked dry sausages, a thimble full of sauerkraut so little we got more mustard than kraut and around a dozen plain catering fries. Glad we didn't order a meal each as the quality was so disappointing.
There is nothing authentic at the bierkeller no German music, it was more like a dingy dirty working mans' sports bar. The German dressed waitresses were wearing dirty, cheap, tatty outfits. Luckily our waitress was all in black as we were sat in ATW, The German area was showing sports on the big screen.!!

5  Thank hideh0
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Visited recently and will never go back.

Firstly the staff are rude, ignorant and don't seem to care about serving customers. The venue smelled like a toilet.

I didn't expect the same experience as Germany, but nothing is right in this place. The beer is terrible and the food has nothing to do with our place either. Pizza and burgers!

Also, all drinks served in plastic cups and you must pay a £4 deposit per cup.

1  Thank Lawyer28
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Well our annual Christmas Christmas works do for 60 people at £30 a head arranged by some fool who likes this place.
We arrived told which bench was ours but good news a stein of free beer in a plastic mug which we all had to pay £4 deposit for! As though anyone would nick one of those for what ! The beer was poor undrinkable rubbish. Tried to get into the mood ordered a few bottles of German beer at £5 a bottle was also poor .
Used the toilet the place was rammed but why it's really bad, toilets first of four times offered drugs in the place locked cubicles and loud sniffing noises followed!
Food started to arrive first a salted pretzel designed to make you drink more no doubt then a platter with two York puds a sausage bit of boiled veg spuds and three slices of turkey thought it was poor but was stunned that was for 2 to share !!! And a bowl yes a bowl with watery gravy for the table to share small side plates to eat it off this was a joke... All I can say is the oompah band was ok to be honest but the food and service a joke the girl that served us stank so bad of b. o sweat you didn't want anything off her.
I decided to order a bottle of tattinger champagne as needed something to drink that was proper despite the £50 price tag it arrived warm with 10 ice cubes sent it back surely more ice to chill it you would have thought I asked her for a kidney the look she gave me.
Two more visits to the toilet dodging the drug crazed masses this time to discover a security man doing a deal with a man he caught taking drugs to " sort it hear and now " which sounded suspicious to me.
Needless to say I will never ever venture in that hell hole again it's a rip off waste of money drug riddled disgrace .

2  Thank BangkokBill786