“Great place, lovely front of house team”

The Place Aparthotel
Ranked #53 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed with my son last week and had a fabulous time. Lady on reception was brilliant and couldn't do enough. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a 2 bedroom deluxe room which was huge! Comfy beds, lovely warm rooms and really quiet. We will be back soon! Ps the lady on reception is a credit to your company.

• Stayed: January 2013
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you for your superb review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,257)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had great stay..apartments are good,spacious and clean...stayed on the top floor so if you don't like lifts then ask for for the first floor because it's quite a trek....centrally placed for town centre so your 5 minute walk to all main shopping areas..

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for your considerate feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you again soon. Why not treat yourself to one of our platters to share and a bottle of wine on your next shopping spree?

Reviewed January 23, 2013

After having enjoyed ManUtd vs Swansea 2-0 we came across this hotel a Sunday night. Lovele room and very spacious room, 165 sqm was good enough for me and my two sons. Why not enjoy som luxury after a godd match?

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your inviting review. I am glad that you enjoyed the game and hope to welcome you again in a near future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Well where to begin. I booked this through a third party website and was confused by what type of room i was having as it stated on the third party website as a 1 bedroomed suite/penthouse. I diecided to email the hotel directly to find out. I had a response saying that they could not find my reservation and asked me to send them my reference number etc. I did that again and i say again as i had already sent this in my original email. After sending this information again no body bothered to reply to me. When we arrived at the hotel the check in was very quick and we were given room 116. I think that this is the apartment that they give to the "3rd party bookers" as the apartment wasnt great. All the kitchen utensils and baking trays etc were dirty and after washing them all ready to use the sink started to leak all over the kitchen floor my partner rang and a man from reception came up to the room and said "well it isnt that bad" my partner then asked him if we could move rooms as this could not be fixed there and then. We then moved to room 116 this apartment was so much cleaner and better presented. Everything in this apartment was fine until i went to brush my teeth before bed. The sink was full of water that was dirty and smelt vile. I started to have a play with the plug as it was one of them that you pull up and down and the rear of the tap. This did nothing. My partner again rang reception and told them but said there was no point in moving us again as we would discuss it in the morning at reception as we only stayed for one night. So the next morning we went to reception and were asked how our stay was, we told reception what had gone on and she said that she would get there manager to call me ASAP. Its been nearly a month and i havent heard a thing from them. So customer service is not one of there strong points by far! I wouldnt recommend this place to anyone and would not class it as a 4 star in my eyes its pushing 2!

• Stayed: December 2012

I am sorry to hear that you were confused as to what type of apartment you booked. We always ensure that full details and a clear description of our apartments are available on third party websites. Our prices vary depending on what type of apartment you book and, on busy days, it is not always possible to offer an upgrade. We inadvertently checked you in a room that hadn’t yet been fully serviced and corrected our mistake as soon as we realised it, by checking you into another 1 bedroom apartment located just next door to the previous one. I hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your faith in The Place and book again with us. This time, please contact Reservations directly.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed here with a friend in a penthouse apartment. We both loved it. It is huge-Impressive beds, bathrooms and facilities.
Loved the style of everything and enjoyed the terrace-fantastic views.
Using the glass elevator was a great experience & made us feel very special!
The only constructive comment I could make is that there isn't adequate lighting in the bathroom nor bedrooms for applying make up, a mirror light in the bathroom would be good.
The check in team were great.
As we were both travelling by train, the location was perfect.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your delightful review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We spent a fraught Fawlty Towers Christmas at The Place but the staff all did their best to correct things, often without success and there was no sign of the Basil Fawlty, General Manager Ian Hardacre, who wasn’t there and hasn’t responded to an email.

A Penthouse apartment looked like the perfect place for 3 people to stay for a relaxing Christmas and for four people to enjoy a simple Christmas day lunch. The “fully equipped kitchen” had only three large plates. Every time we tried to use the toaster the smoke alarm went off. The small oven had only one wire rack, no pan and no instructions. The microwave was baffling. A staff member explained how to work it – we only found out what he said was wrong when we tried to use it and followed his instructions.

The brochure boasted a CD player so we bought some CDs with us. There was no CD player. We were told to play CDs via the television DVD player but the sound was very poor. A bedroom TV wouldn’t switch on. A staff member switched it on and left. We then found we couldn’t change channels as the TV remote needed fresh batteries so he had to come back again.

We had feared the apartment would be cold. When we arrived it was very hot. We found it was hard to control the temperature as some of the heating units didn’t work. One of them was fixed and we were also supplied with an electric heater which packed up after half a minute and had to be replaced. After four days we managed to work out how to maintain a comfortable temperature.

There was a washer/dryer which didn’t dry. Staff couldn’t get it to work and the manual didn’t match the machine.

On 24 December we asked to speak to a Duty Manager so we could sort out problems before Christmas day and were told there wasn’t a Duty Manager on duty. I emailed the General Manager, Ian Hardacre, and still await at acknowledgement on 10 January.
Wendy, a wonderful woman, tried to address our problems. She let us use a larger, better-equipped cooker in another Penthouse for Christmas day and she arranged for a housekeeper to bring us a CD player from storage which worked and provided much better sound than the TV.

Christmas day was a farce with ovens going out, microwave problems and frequent false alarms from the smoke detector.

Whenever we raised problems the staff responded quickly and willingly but often weren’t equipped to solve them.

The WiFi worked well. The view was terrific. The general design was good and furnishings were comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Simon1944

Thank you for taking the time to discuss the issues you mention in your review over the phone.
We have put in place corrective actions following your comments and taken into account your straightforward feedback. As discussed, our fully equipped kitchen would be suitable for most catering needs and we are always pleased to help and bring extra items on request. We have recently introduced iPod docking stations in our newly refurbished apartments and it is also possible to listen to music through the digital music channels or DVD players. Smoke alarms are there for your safety and would only go off if an anomalous amount of smoke is detected. I was pleased to hear your positive comments about the way staff dealt with your requests on the day and I am looking forward to welcome you again at The Place this Saturday.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were lucky enough to be upgraded when we stayed at the Place and wow what room we had, I think the wife and I could have avoided seeing each other for the 2 nights we stayed the apartment was that big. Everything about the Place is on a large scale, The only small downside was the bathroom was in need of a bit of TLC, but not a problem we just used the other one!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience and for your appreciative comments. We hope to see you soon again.