“Absolutely Excellent Hotel & Staff!! Cannot compliment enough! Thank You.”

The Place Aparthotel
Ranked #46 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I had my wedding at The Place on 10th September, and it was a fantastic day. No only because it was my wedding, but because i'd had the support of the wedding co-oridnator, Sam for the 18 months previous who held my hand through the entire process to ensure our day was magical.
I had also been in contact with the reception and reservations staff for months prior ensuring that all my guests received our wedding rate. This too was done in an efficient and professional manner. The wedding could not have gone better, the staff were helpful and efficient, the food was amazing and everything went without a hitch, and that was down to the all staff at the place from the reception, to the bar and waiting staff. (and obviously my excellent planning played it;s part) In particular, Sam and Alexa! All the rooms i saw were out of this world for the price and i can't understand how anyone can complain about any aspect of this hotel.

Finally i must compliment the housekeeping staff. In particular that cleaner that found the envelope i'd stupidly left in my room after i'd checked out that contained over £500 in cash as these were gifts from my wedding guests! I was astounded in this day and age to find that there are indeed good people with honesty and integrity. The envelope was handed to the head of housekeeping, Susan, and kept in the safe for me to collect. I was extremely lucky to have chosen a hotel with such a great bunch of staff with a building that would not be out of place in a magazine spread.

Thank you so much. I would defintelty recommend ths hotel for a wedding, conference or leisure break. 10 stars in my opinion!

David

Room Tip: If you can afford to treat yourself to a penthouse. Then Do! they're fabulous!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2011

David,
Thank you for your excellent review and your kind comments regarding the levels of service recieved from the staff. I will ensure that these are passed on to all the staff that were involved with the planning and delivery of your special day. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your event so much and I look forward to welcoming you all back in the future.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Review written on behalf of a group of Contractors stopping in The Place whilst working in Manchester. All having their own expectations and preferences relating to accomodation whilst working away from home.
Concensus agreement is that we all love most of the things about the hotel all of the time.
Okay so there is no pool, but hey, it's wet enough in Manchester!
We have encountered a few minor niggles during our stay, but the have all been resolved promptly and efficiently. The odd lost shirt (Carl) or missing kettle (Katie)
All staff are friendly and willing to 'go the extra mile' to make our stay enjoyable.
Special mention to Emma in reservations and all of the staff on the front desk!
All in all we have found the experience of 'living' in the place so much better than the usual 'chain' type hotels in the area.
Well done !

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors on the station side are prone to vehicle noise in the morning. Best tip for a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Thank you for your excellent review and your comments regarding the levels of service recieved from the staff. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much and I look forward to welcoming you all back in the future.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were staying at this hotel for a friend's wedding. We shared a 2 bedroom apartment and this was great value for money. The apartment was provided with the basics on arrival, tea, coffee, fresh milk in the fridge to get you started. Also in the apartment was a washing machine, dishwasher, iron and ironing board, hair dryers, ipod dock and bathroom extras such as shampoo etc. The front bedroom which was next to the atrium was noisy at night when late guests returned to their rooms, but the back room was perfectly quiet.
My friend who got married and was staying in the penthouse suite showed us his room and it was absolutely stunning with a huge balcony, floor to ceiling windows and very spacious!
I would definitely recommend this hotel for a group of friends.

Room Tip: choose a room on a higher floor and use a back room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank lidz_2000
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I booked the Place hotel for a night away in the city. Having arrived at the hotel the reception and bar area was nice, however we weren't able to check in until 1500 hours so went out instead. We returned to the hotel and was given our key and told that car parking in the hotels own car park was extra at £9 a night on top of the room rate!

Having got to the room I was very disappointed to find how small claustophobic it felt. The room was uncomfortably hot and although we tried to switch the units to cool nothing worked. When we rang down to reception we were then advised there was no air conditioning and they would provide a fan!! the bedroom was stifling and although there was a window it was set up in a way that you could barely open it.

On leaving we werent asked whether the stay was ok and too be honest I was glad to leave and did'nt bother to mention it.

I don't know how this is a 4* I would give it 3 max.

Breakfast was pleasant although served in what was the bar area!

Definately will not be staying again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. I was sorry to hear that you felt the rooms were claustrophobic as our guests usually comment on how spacious they are, in relation to other hotel bedrooms. I have also discussed with the Reception Team the need to ask for customer feedback, as it is through valued feedback that we are able to improve our level of service. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning of September. When you arrive, the hotel looks nice with its spacious atrium, the fact that's in an old factory building. The rooms look ok and the furniture is not that bad. You get a kitchen with fridge, freezer, oven, microwave, stove, water cooker, plenty of pots & pans. Now for the bad points:

- It's very very noisy. The big atrium amplifies people talking in the bar and on the balconies at each level (but I guess it's quieter on the higher ones). If you are unfortunate to sleep in the front room facing the atrium you're quite unlucky. When you have a room in the back you'll hear close to nothing. When people go and return from a bar tour at night, you'll for sure wake up in the middle of the night due to noise and shouting.

- Bad ventilation. It looks like the rooms lack proper airco or ventilation. The only way to get fresh air into the living room and the bedroom facing the atrium is to open up a window. But.. it will only get more noise etc. into the apartment/rooms. Also, the sound proofing of the windows is quite poor (despite that it's double glass). The bedroom in the back of the apartment has a window, which can be actually opened.

- Sloppy cleaning... don't look under the couch...

- They have the guts to held wedding ceremonies in the big atrium. If you are looking for a peaceful and quiet hotel, look further. If you have read my comments on the noise... you'll get the picture. After 12 at night, you could be faced with violin musicians, kids chasing each other and drunk people.

Room Tip: Make sure the room/appartment has room in the back with fresh air, less noise etc.... Further take a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. Firstly I would like to pass on my sincere apologies for the noise that you encountered during your stay, my night manager and his team are very swift to action noise complaints had they been contacted. I have discussed the cleaning concerns you raised with my team and appropriate action will now be taken to ensure these areas are addressed. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the concept on the whole and I and my team will be working hard to ensure we learn from the points you have raised.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

What a fab place to stay, the staff were helpful & friendly. Stayed in a one bed apartment, it was absolutely lovely, plenty big enough for 2. Shame we only stayed 2 nights. Loved the interior design blending the modern with the original. great for closeness to train station, near to the city centre, great location .Cant fault it, will back not doubt bout it. LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Travelzoo sent an email out saying we could stay here for £59 in an apartment for a night including breakfast and a bottle of wine. We jumped at the chance and booked straight away.
Really impressed with the first impression, great reception and 24hours parking for only £9 in a secure underground car park. The restaurant looked nice and they had a cute little garden cafe area.
We were put on floor three, and got out of the lift to a sign which read 'uneven floor surface' which looked like they were redoing the floor at some point. Our room was in the corner of the building with a nice view over the canal. The actual space the apartment provided was great and the kitchen was obviously brand new. The bedding however, was not. There were a few holes in the duvet cover which was a bit weird.
The living room had a small (and not very comfy) sofa and an arm chair outlooking to courtyard in the middle of the building where a wedding reception was taking place.
The reason I am only giving this three stars is because of the little things which a four star would not let slip such as chips in the paintwork and uneven floor surfaces, mould in the shower and holes in the bedding.
I am happy we only paid the Travelzoo rate, and would give it 3.5 stars if it were an option.
But it is an ideal place if you need the city centre and Piccadilly Train Station.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. Firstly I would like to apologise for the problems you encountered during your stay. The uneven floor was being replaced and has since been completed I have also discussed the issues regarding the bedding with my Head Housekeeper. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.