“Piefection”

Pieminister
Ranked #19 of 2,361 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Right in the heart of Manchester's Northern Quarter, this is a great place to recharge your batteries after browsing the many great shops in this part of town.
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Partner and I were in Manchester for a couple of days and found Pieminister through Trip Advisor. It was quite close to where we were staying so we thought we'd give it a try. The pies are great value for money, and was just a good size. We asked for a couple of things that weren't available, but the staff explained that they'd had a very busy weekend (we were in on a Monday evening and as we were leaving we noticed a sign that had been put up in the window stating that they'd be closing early due to being so busy over the weekend). Would definitely nip in again next time we're back in Manchester.

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Simply brilliant. Popped by for a quick lunch. Excellent homemade pies. The orchard pig apple juice was also tasty. Thanks! :)

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I'd heard a few good things about this place so I decided to go for an afternoon lunch for my birthday. There were six of us and we were sat straightaway.

The waitress that served us was lovely with a beaming smile. She was never afraid to jump into full conversation with us which we found was very welcoming. Our drinks order was taken and came very quickly and they even gave us some free popcorn, while we waited for one of our friends to arrive (which was blue cheese flavoured - amazing!).

There are a good selection of pies on the menu - ranging from your classics like steak and kidney, chicken, through to the 'moo and blue' which was steak and blue cheese - my choice. There are also good vegetarian options like the goats cheese based pie.
Once you've chose your pie you get to choose which side you like - Mash, mushy peas, crispy onions - they have the lot. Alternatively if you're feeling hungry or adventurous you can go for the 'mothership' in which you get all the sides included and stacked neatly like a tower (this I of course went for and did not regret). You also get your own personal gravy boat which is a win in my book. ^_^.

So all in all food amazing, service amazing (even the chefs behind the counter were smiling and laughing) and a great atmosphere. Will most certainly be going back - in fact I might go today as typing this review has made me very hungry for pie. :-).

HIGHLY recommended.

1  Thank Maxx Y
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Like another review we came here after disappointment at simple's menu change. SO glad we did! Managed to get the last table which was in the window and atmosphere was great.
Fast, friendly and attentive service was impressive. Great range of pies and sides at good prices which are served almost as soon as you have ordered which is fab if you are in a hurry. We weren't and didn't feel rushed at all.
We ate a moo pie (beef) and a free ranger (chicken) both as 'the mothership' option which includes mash, grated cheese, minty mushy peas and crispy shallots for £7.95. Both were hot, tasty and filling. We then shared a lemon merengue pie dessert and had a couple of beers each (from selection of bottled ales/ciders). Total bill was £30 which was excellent. We will certainly return again and think it is a gem of a find for lunches too if out shopping in town.

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

To say I enjoy pies could be an understatement but to say why I have not been hear before is definatly a mysyery. For to long I have been a Hollands fan and at times a Greggs or Grenhalges sampler but those days are gone. Food has come a long way with fine dinning but the humble pie has been left behind. NOT ANY MORE. Its a must for any pie fan to try Pieminster. There us a whole range to try but I wont go through them all as it will just make me hungry again but suffice to say there is one for every taste. Even free range chicken. The mash is lovely with the minted peas and rich gravy. This is not a chain either although I wouldnt mind if they opened more. Its run by people who care about what they do. And by the way the coffee is gorgeous. There may be plans to sell it as well as the take out pies so it sounds like a great night in as well if you cant get out to the place.