“Top notch!”

Cuisines: European, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My partner and I visited here for my birthday and really enjoyed it. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel extremely welcome and felt comfortable immediately within the pleasant surroundings.

For my starter I chose the famous Mr. Holden's Manchester Egg which came with a rasher of melt-in the-mouth maple bacon and a mysterious "Manchester Caviar" - I'm not quite sure what the latter was, but it tasted nice and was a perfect accompaniment to an already tasty dish.

When it comes to restaurants, my choice of dish is highly predictable as I more often than not opt for a burger> I like to consider myself as a bit of a burger connoisseur and was certainly not let down with the Cheese and Maple Bacon Burger. It was cooked to perfection and the beef was extremely succulent and juicy. The burger came with a seemingly endless bucket of Skinny Fries, a pot of sweetcorn relish and a dollop of coleslaw.

When the bill arrived, we were pleasantly surprised as to how reasonable it was - £40 for two starters, two mains, a cocktail and large glass of red wine is certainly good value.
The decor is smartly arranged and has a warm feel about it. The service was excellent and the staff seemed to enjoy working there - which is always a good sign.

We both agreed that we would visit again soon...

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We went here on Friday afternoon for my boyfriends birthday. It was 3.30pm and we were the only ones in but we didn't feel uncomfortable as the staff were just talking quietly amongst themselves and not taking notice of us, only when they needed to.
When you go up the stairs to the place it's like you are in someone's house, & nice pictures on the wall. Inside the restaurant is lovely and cosy, smart and clean, the chairs were really comfy. The food was great, I had forest mushroom to start & then chicken Caesar salad. I was however, disappointed by the lack of anchovies on the salad :( The staff were nice and the cocktail was even nicer :) We sat on a window table with views over deansgate. The bill came and the price for what we had was very reasonable indeed.
We did want to sit on the roof terrace but didn't because it was really pouring down, but I had a look at it and it looks good, I will go back when the sun is shining.

1  Thank OMCZ
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had a table booked for outside on the rooftop terrace. After a slight confusion over the booking, our table was sorted.
The food was delicious, and in lovely surroundings. The cocktails were fabulous, although £8 per cocktail is quite expensive vs the cost of some of the mains(under £8).
Helpful waiter and barman. Would be sure to visit again :)

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

They'd run out of the starter we wanted, which was fair game. the replacement pâté was tasty (and plentiful).
We were in a large party and one roast was quite late to be served but they took that off the bill, which was really good of them. the meat was really tasty but the roast potatoes were too hard and dry and we didn't get cracklings as expected (we had to ask why and they said they'd run out). Apparently the spuds were done to the chef's mum's recipe. I appreciate everyone thinks their mum does the best roasties, but when 20 out of 22 people say they thought they were a bit dry/ hard in the middle, you maybe need to rethink how you cook them... Sorry chef!
Desserts were ok but nothing special.
Service was great though. The atmosphere, setting and service (and especially the fantastic outside terrace) really make the place stand out. Just a shame the roast was a bit of a let down because of the potatoes. The veggies in our gang said their dish was a bit too carrot based but generally ok. Would go again to try their mid week menu though.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Often go to the Deansgate for a beer before dining, I can now go upstairs to "3 twenty one"
Nicely laid out with great view of good old Deansgate. I enjoyed pint of Wainright cask and my fellow diners were seduced by the exotic gin cocktail selection and a very knowledgable barman. The seafood tasting box was like something from a Rick Stein restaurant theatrically presented but very tasty. The in-house smoke house had some serious looking steaks but I had the seabass stuffed with fennel. Nice short well chosen wine list with some well priced European and New World favourites. Good food, drinks and excellent service ;well worth a visit