“Nice food funky bright place”
Review of Dog Bowl

Dog Bowl
Ranked #429 of 2,420 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: 5 lanes of bowling within Black Dog Ballroom's speakeasy and diner concept. This is the third venue from the Black Dog Ballroom which opened in April 2013. Dog Bowl offers a Tex Mex inspired restaurant, cocktail bar and five full length bowling lanes open late into the night.
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch with friends, service attentive, good tasty and all reasonably priced. I appreciate we went to a bowling alley Saturday lunchtime but I hadn't realised how small, crowded and noisy the place would get so hard to catch up with noisy bowling and we didn't bowl. Thought looking at pictures it was bigger so we could've moved away but not to be. Good food and service and lively place with great decor.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Management were happy to take a £40 deposit from us for bowling but didn't let us know that no fancy dress would be allowed and that we wouldn't be allowed entry. On a weekend around Halloween I don't think fancy dress is that weird? Feel like we should have been notified.

Also we have had basically no apology from management, instead being passed over to their PR company and given a bland kind of "we're sorry but it was your own fault" type message.

Needless to say we won't be troubling them with our business again.

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

On a random day out, came across this establishment the food was good, the waitress was over worked, but for a Tuesday afternoon, she had so far to go to get the food but still was so nice and polite, did not mind the wait very welcoming kept us informed sold us a game very enjoyable experience would recommend to anyone

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Went here on a work night out. Me and a friend arrived late, after the rest of our group had started their bowling game. We bought a pint and joined the party in the bowling area. As we we had arrived late, we weren't on the score sheet, but a friend offered me one of her turns, so we wouldn't be left out of the fun.

Seconds after I had bowled, two bouncers aggressively asked us to leave, telling us that we had 'already be asked to leave 3 times'. We were then shepherded towards the door, only then being told that we didn't have the correct footwear and that the manager wanted us out. We pleaded our innocence to the footwear rules, explaining that at no point had we been aware of such regulations and offered there and then to hire the correct shoes. Unwilling to reason with us, the bouncers took away our barely-touched over-priced pints off us and told us to take up our grievance with the manager, who was outside. Naively, we agreed to this and left the bar. We were then told that the manager wasn't really outside and that we could forget about coming back in. After a few wasted minutes trying to get the bouncers to see reason, or at least show some signs of brain activity, we left in a red mist, feeling utterly ripped-off and pissed-off.

This place completely sucks on all levels. I mean, how can a late night bar with a bowling alley be so strict when it comes to footwear regulations? Common sense would surely call for a little more leniency, or better, a little more caution on the the part of the venue to ensure the regulations are known and understood by all patrons? Footwear issue aside, when I visit a bar I don't expect to be bullied and have my night ruined by a team of lunkhead bouncers when I have mistakenly made a minor infringement of the rules.

I came here ready to have my negative perception of the tacky and characterless Black Dog Ballroom reversed, instead it was reinforced, clad in iron, set in concrete and hurled into the sea. This is a terrible place, tell all your friends.

2  Thank Tim H
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Well done Dog Bowl. It just so happened that we were in a group event and as we all know food at group events are sometimes not that good or just lacking. But, give this venue a BONE for a job WELL DONE! The food was tasty, the special request for 'Gluten Free' was to BEST EVER! The food and bar service was done with a smile and was also excellent. Everyone, made you feel welcome. Going again for a Big Pin Strike on Excellence.

1  Thank Nikii5