“Cosy fun for kids. Dodgy facilities.”

Route 66 Drive In Cinemas
Ranked #29 of 62 Fun & Games in Manchester
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I bought a Groupon ages ago for myself and my two young children to use. However, I and was initially disappointed that there were no suitable family films screened for weeks so I gave up looking. After Groupon eventually prompted me by email that the voucher was about to expire, I found that the old Willy Wonka film was on, which would be OK. I was a bit worried when we eventually found the place at the end of an industrial park, as it looked shabby in the light, but we really enjoyed the experience! I noticed so many things in the film, that I hadn't before, possibly because the viewing size is so huge and the sound so good in your car? But we all loved it.
I was surprised that the staff thought giving coke (the only option) to my two kids shortly before bedtime was a good idea! The groupon deal didn't offer alternatives, so we didn't take their drinks. The popcorn was old, stale and salted, again not good for little people. Luckily, we had picked up a McDonalds on the way and had sweets and nibbles with us too as it seems that people waited a long time for pizza. I would also recommend taking pillows and blankets as we did, to keep warm especially as you have to open a window now and then, to de-mist. Oh, and visit the loo before you go, unless you fancy a drafty porta-cabin.
Despite those few niggles / negatives, we have booked to go again. It was cosy, fun and something a bit different

2  Thank Melectra

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We had a great evening at the movie drive in theatre. It was a great novel experience and even at £18 considering the cost of going to the cinema normally, this works out well.

The whole experience was smooth. We arrived around twenty mins before our film was due to start and didn't have to wait long before we were allowed in. It was easy to tune in our radio to the correct frequency. We found the location very easy to find and had no problems with sat nav finding it.

Once the cars from the previous film had left, we were able to pull our car forward and had a great view of the film. The windscreen did steam up a little but a quick start of the engine soon resolved that.

There were drinks and food available, we got popcorn and a soft drink which was at reasonable prices. We didn't order any hot food so have no experience of this.

I would happily return again if i was in the area.

1  Thank dannieadventure
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I received a £25 "gift voucher" tried to book on line you can give your card details .or buy vouchers ...but . Movie info out of date. Cant use voucher. .phoned 53 times ove 48 hours ( NO ANSWER) . E mailed 5 times . Nothing.

4  Thank supadad
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had been looking forward to experiencing the drive in cinema, and all the extras, via a Groupon voucher. We turned up and thought it was all quite organised and well planned - told where to park and radio frequency etc. Then we wanted to order pizza from Domino's so the cinema staff asked us to write our order on a piece of paper with our car reg and hand it in, all of which we duly did. Domino's were running late, so the pizzas didn't arrive until at least 1 hour 15mins into the film. We waited and waited for our food to turn up, watching while everyone else got theirs, and then the delivery man drove off! We had no food, so we went to the kiosk to ask what had gone on and they placed the responsibility solely on Domino's saying that they had ordered it and Domino's must have forgotten it. Looking back now, I think it's a rather large coincidence that Domino's forgot all 3 items from our order but managed to bring every item of everyone else's orders. After we left we rang Domino's - they found the order from the drive in cinema, and said ours wasn't there so it hadn't been ordered after all! Not at all impressed with the customer service, and the whole thing really overshadowed what should have been a fun and different experience!

4  Thank sparklew64
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I booked this through Groupon but even with use of a sat nav I couldn't find. I rang the number for over 30 minutes and didn't get a reply. After an hour I gave up. As someone not from Manchester this was really un-acceptable. I've contacted them and no reply and using their e-mail address comes back as postmaster failure. Is Route 66 actually there?????

1  Thank jubagm