“Amazing gallery, shame about the cafeteria.”

Manchester Art Gallery Cafe
Ranked #721 of 2,420 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Description: Good food, made well. The return of the Breville toastie, Bury black pudding, bread and pastries baked on site, Derbyshire oatcakes and Manchester tarts – this summer, we welcome a new chef and a whole new outlook to our café. Mary-Ellen McTague, best known for her award-winning restaurant, Aumbry, reopened the Gallery Café on 16 June. Sourcing from local producers, with a kitchen garden out front and everything made every day, from scratch, it’s a fresh approach from the gallery, and good food for you
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The gallery is amazing, we visited to see a few exhibitions currently on and it was lovely to walk around and see. We decided to stay for lunch and found a table in the cafeteria. I ordered two plates of the risotto which looked amazing. Strangely it came with the option of either salad or veg. Not the accompaniment you would expect with risotto, not sure why fresh bread or even garlic bread wasn't included. The portion size was appalling. One large spoonful onto a very long flat plate and the same amount of salad. Not only did it go cold very fast then, but we were both still hungry. We got two bottles of ginger beer and the whole meal came to just over £18. I have never felt as ripped off. I would have happily paid this if we would have been given a proper quantity of food but it literally took me five or six scoops and I was finished. A real shame as the gallery is stunning and this lets it down considerably.

4  Thank inkykath

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Simply the best art gallery in Manchester City centre, so much to see and do, lovely victorian paintings, brilliant impressionist paintings, as well as excellent temporary exhibtions, a great day out for all the family.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I came here in the school holidays with my 3 children age 5,7 and 9. They loved the art. It evoked thought and reflection within all 3. The staff were helpful, and spoke in a way the children could understand. Thee was some events for children. A fun day out!!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

When I visited the art gallery on Tuesday 3rd March, I had a delicious cup of coffee and decided to return to the cafeteria later for lunch.

The hot food smelled and looked good and I chose casserole of shin of beef. It was terrible, very tough. Shin needs long slow cooking in liquid and the meat I tried to eat and had to leave had not been cooked properly. The vegetables were fatty and only barely cooked.

1  Thank Ruth C