“Ghost the Musical - wow”

Opera House Manchester
Ranked #19 of 190 things to do in Manchester
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Musical theatre has always been a passion of mine. I first joined a local amateur dramatics when I was ten years old and I instantly fell in love with anything related to the word 'musical'.

I have seen many shows at the Opera House Manchester and it has become a favourite venue of mine. The staff were extremely welcoming and very helpful in respect to my mum sorting the car parking ticket. The only thing I would criticise would be that at half seven as the curtain rose, other audience members were still arriving and it meant that for the first ten minutes of the show, I had an extremely blocked view with people standing out the way to move, as the staff members were for some reason still letting people in. Although I do understand it was the beginning of the show, it was annoying.

However, back to the show. Wow. I first saw 'Ghost' two years ago in London with Richard Fleeshman as Sam Wheat and an understudy Molly Jensen. I fell in love with the musical straight away. Having lost two close members of my family in 2009/10 the show provided me with a sense of relief and hope that there is indeed life after death, and for me, it helped with the grieving process. As soon as the show ended, I was desperate to see it once again. I instantly fell in love with the story, characters and most of all the music. I went to New York with my family in 2012 and rejoiced that I would get to see Ghost once again on Broadway. However, much to my disappointment the show closed the week before I was out there. I was absolutely heartbroken, but when I heard the news of a tour, I was beyond elated.

I saw the show on Wednesday 3rd July with my mum - the tickets were a present to my mum on Mother's Day earlier this year. I was absolutely blown away by the show once again. The entire cast were just incredible, each and every cast member stood out in their own individual way and kept me engrossed in the show for two and a half wonderful hours.

I have to mention in particular David Roberts who played Carl Bruner. He maintained the high standard that I believe was set by Andrew Langtree in London and was utterly believable as the deceptive and manipulative Carl. His vocal ability was brilliant and right up to his final scene, he was incredible. Rebecca Trehearn was wonderful as Molly Jensen. From the opening line 'Here Right Now' her performance as a devoted and then grieving partner was breathtakingly brilliant to watch and had me hooked. Furthermore, there was great emotion evoked in 'With You' and the final scene which I admittedly struggled to watch due to the amount of tears falling down my face!

In my opinion, the star of the show was Stewart Clarke. His portrayal of Sam Wheat - the man who loses his life but continues in his determination to save the one he loves was incredible. The sheer power in his voice particularly in 'Suspend My Disbelief/I Had a Life' blew me away and his relationship with Rebecca as Molly was beautiful to watch. It is the final scene of the show, as previously mentioned, which is probably the most memorable for me purely for the beautiful moment we see the couple reunited after Sam's determination throughout to save and connect with her once again before he "leaves". A mention must be made to his appearance, especially at the end of 'Unchained Melody' at the open of the show; the simple 'woooo!' of the audience as Stewart removed his top says it all! :') He is one dashing Sam!

Another star for me was Wendy Mae Brown. When I first heard it was Wendy playing the part of Oda Mae Brown, my reaction was 'wow she is evidently destined to play the part with the same surname!' and I was correct. Her representation of Oda Mae had us as the audience laughing in hysterics from the moment she joyfully comes into the show in 'Are you a Believer?' and you can also gain an insight into her more empathizing side as she lets Molly and Sam come together one final time at the end of the show. Her on-stage relationship with Stewart as Sam was a joy to watch. Both Oda Mae and Sam bounce witty remarks off one another as Sam enlists her help to bring Carl and Willie Lopez down, whilst saving the life of Molly.

It is the relationships between characters within the show which kept me engrossed for the entirety of the show and many moments left me with shivers as it was breathtakingly wonderful to observe. Stewart, Rebecca, David, Wendy Mae and indeed the entire cast should be proud of their outstanding ability to produce such an incredible show. I also give commendation to all of the crew who put the show together, from music to the set. Each scene moved with fluidity and the music was effortlessly brilliant throughout. The illusions in the show blew my mind, but I won't talk to much as they do make the show :)

I hope I will be able to see Ghost once again as it continues on its tour around the UK as it is, in my opinion, one of THE best shows to ever have come out of the West End. I believe the cast and crew of Ghost have a show they should be immensely proud of and, as my standing ovation at the close of the show proved, I did in fact believe all over again and I will continue to do so! I hope the show prolongs as it deserves great success and I wish all the cast the best of luck for the rest of the tour, as they keep the nation believing!

2  Thank Charlotte C

Reviewed July 2, 2013

great atmosphere, excellent cast, great special effects, it was opening night, theatre was almost full, we had good seats, 6 rows from the front, fully enjoyable show, highly recommended

1  Thank suzystevie1963
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great fun musical with lots of laughs and great music. The theatre was clean and comfortable. Staff were pleasant and helpful.

1  Thank Tracey P
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Amazing atmosphere and the show was superb but people on the audience kept shouting out and to someone watching the production the first time I found this annoying.
The seats were fantastic though. But a small bar with 1 member of staff serving was ridiculous. Took ages to get a drink

1  Thank Natasha J
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Theatre a little dated and tired. Half empty Circle (Wednesday night 19:30), but what an enjoyable experience. Non stop entertainment and singing for 2 hours with a 20 minute interval. Audience participation with well known songs and interaction made the evening even more enjoyable. The performers were so enthusiastic and energetic. Highly recommended.

3  Thank helenamike