“Why did I wait so long?”
Review of The Hungry Gecko - CLOSED

The Hungry Gecko
Cuisines: Asian
“Why did I wait so long?”
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

That sounds like the start of a complaint. But no, I mean why did I wait so long to try the Hungry Gecko when I live only 3 minutes away?

I did actually wait a bit for my main course - almost exactly the 20 mins I was warned it took to cook it from order. More importantly I asked for my partners need rendang to be served as soon as it Aw ready. And that's exactly what happened. √

My Singapore noodles with belly pork was virtually perfect (touch too salty maybe) and I scoffed the lot. The most sublime stick of pork crackling to go with it. The dog much enjoyed the small piece I reluctantly saved for him

My partner had a more standard beef rendang but equally delicious. The "small platea we started with were similarly flawless.

Food was £25 for two and we were both well fed.

If you haven't tried it ask yourself why not

• Visited August 2013

Bury, United Kingdom
“fab food”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Have wanted to go to this place for a while after seeing Jackie on masterchef a couple of years ago, hoping for some tasty and authentic far eastern food and we were not dissapointed we will be going again soon despite the 40 mile round trip, also excellent choice of ales in the pub, overall a great night out

• Visited August 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We met in The Beech Beer Garden on a sunny sunday afternoon, on the recommendation of several friends . It was a brilliant atmosphere, already very busy when we arrived. After getting some quality ales and finding a seat, we digested the menu (plenty of choice) and ordered a beef rending, 5 spice pork belly nasi goreng, and dal masala. We were told the pork was cooked to order and would take up to 20mins if it was ok with us to wait. It was and 15mins later we were all tucking into some of the tastiest food we'd ever had. We will be back. Thank you Hungry Gecko !!

“Terrible service”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I went to the hungry gecko yesterday and couldn't believe the rudeness and arrogance of the owner/chef. She was openly obnoxious and rude to her staff who were visibly shaking with nerves/fear because of it. Worst of all she was rude to myself and other customers when we had the nerve to ask things like "is that my food?" "Can I order here?" and shouted at us for not stating we wanted to take the food away (what else do you do at a food stall?!)

The food was good (not great) and it is a nice little setting but I would never give my money to that horrible woman.

6 Thank Emyusjt
HungryGecko, Owner at The Hungry Gecko, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I'm sorry you were so offended by my so called rudeness, however I think your comments here are uncalled for. If I need to reprimand a member of my staff, that is my right as their employer. It is a noisy environment and we have to raise our voices to hear each other. It is even more difficult to hear people outside of the trailer (complicated further by my slight deafness in one ear). Sometimes, like most kitchens, it can sound a bit shouty, but I am an ethical and fair employer, paying my staff far above minimum wage. I also strive to produce the best food I can, and I expect my staff to do the same. If they don’t, I will keep on at them until they do. Due to the open kitchen environment, this might happen in front of customers. I also, like most humans, get annoyed with staff when I'm telling them the same thing for the fifth time that day. Customers don't see this as they are only there for a moment. They also don’t see the times I might apologise to them for being a bit too sharp. I have staff who've worked for me since the start, so I can't quite be the evil witch that some reviewers are painting a picture of.
The fact is that I am passionate about producing great food, and we have hundreds of happy satisfied customers enjoying excellent food at The Hungry Gecko. The fact that I am a straight talking and rather flawed human being, is obviously fodder for judgemental social networking trolls. However it is irrelevant to the quality of the food.
With regard to your comments about ordering and take away. The trailer has two clear sides. One end where dishes are plated and served, and the other end, with the big ‘ORDER HERE’ sign. I simply tell people to order at the other end. Sometimes customers start reeling off an order to me or my chef, when we’re already doing five things at once, and perhaps the person at the other end, with the pen and paper in their hand (and the big sign) might be the best place for ordering.
As for take away, we are more than happy to package up our customers food for them to take home safely. We even put together little sauce pots for them. For customers who are sitting down to eat (which is nearly all of them) we strive to plate up food to a restaurant style standard. This can sometimes be a bit tricky to re-plate for take away. I sometimes huff a little bit if a customer tells me they want take away after we have plated up all the dishes ready to eat with our usual care and attention. But again, flawed human at work, trying to make really great food.
Manchester, UK
“worst service i've ever seen!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Visited on a sunny Saturday afternoon. The food was pretty good but was totally overshadowed by the horrendous service. Jackie shouted at both her staff and customers at every opportunity. She was so rude. Wish we had cancelled our order and walked away but they already had our money. Certainly won't be returning.

2 Thank UKHazel