“Terrible service”

The Hungry Gecko
Cuisines: Asian
“Terrible service”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I went to the hungry gecko yesterday and couldn't believe the rudeness and arrogance of the owner/chef. She was openly obnoxious and rude to her staff who were visibly shaking with nerves/fear because of it. Worst of all she was rude to myself and other customers when we had the nerve to ask things like "is that my food?" "Can I order here?" and shouted at us for not stating we wanted to take the food away (what else do you do at a food stall?!)

The food was good (not great) and it is a nice little setting but I would never give my money to that horrible woman.

• Visited July 2013
6 Thank Emyusjt
HungryGecko, Owner at The Hungry Gecko, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I'm sorry you were so offended by my so called rudeness, however I think your comments here are uncalled for. If I need to reprimand a member of my staff, that is my right as their employer. It is a noisy environment and we have to raise our voices to hear each other. It is even more difficult to hear people outside of the trailer (complicated further by my slight deafness in one ear). Sometimes, like most kitchens, it can sound a bit shouty, but I am an ethical and fair employer, paying my staff far above minimum wage. I also strive to produce the best food I can, and I expect my staff to do the same. If they don’t, I will keep on at them until they do. Due to the open kitchen environment, this might happen in front of customers. I also, like most humans, get annoyed with staff when I'm telling them the same thing for the fifth time that day. Customers don't see this as they are only there for a moment. They also don’t see the times I might apologise to them for being a bit too sharp. I have staff who've worked for me since the start, so I can't quite be the evil witch that some reviewers are painting a picture of.
The fact is that I am passionate about producing great food, and we have hundreds of happy satisfied customers enjoying excellent food at The Hungry Gecko. The fact that I am a straight talking and rather flawed human being, is obviously fodder for judgemental social networking trolls. However it is irrelevant to the quality of the food.
With regard to your comments about ordering and take away. The trailer has two clear sides. One end where dishes are plated and served, and the other end, with the big ‘ORDER HERE’ sign. I simply tell people to order at the other end. Sometimes customers start reeling off an order to me or my chef, when we’re already doing five things at once, and perhaps the person at the other end, with the pen and paper in their hand (and the big sign) might be the best place for ordering.
As for take away, we are more than happy to package up our customers food for them to take home safely. We even put together little sauce pots for them. For customers who are sitting down to eat (which is nearly all of them) we strive to plate up food to a restaurant style standard. This can sometimes be a bit tricky to re-plate for take away. I sometimes huff a little bit if a customer tells me they want take away after we have plated up all the dishes ready to eat with our usual care and attention. But again, flawed human at work, trying to make really great food.

Manchester, UK
“worst service i've ever seen!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Visited on a sunny Saturday afternoon. The food was pretty good but was totally overshadowed by the horrendous service. Jackie shouted at both her staff and customers at every opportunity. She was so rude. Wish we had cancelled our order and walked away but they already had our money. Certainly won't be returning.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank UKHazel
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good x 10”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Whilst walking around Chorlton on Saturday we were hit by a strong smell of amazing Asian food. Following our noses (and the crowd), we found The Hungry Gecko set up in the beer garden of The Beech Inn.

The menu has enough to offer every taste without being too complicated and I quickly chose the 5 spice pork belly Singapore noodles.

Whilst awaiting our food in the sunshine the nice cook brought over a Mango Lassi for us to try. Creamy, zesty, chilled; it had everything you’d want when relaxing in the sun; it was like a Solero in drink-form!

Soon after this delight, our food was called. My noodle dish was served in a nice bio-degradable box which was gleaming with colour and exotic aromas; I got stuck in!

Fantastic texture with the pork belly with both pulled pork style flesh and a good serving of crackling. The noodles themselves were cooked very well with a good selection of both cooked and raw vegetables all coated in a spicy sauce and fresh coriander throughout.

With a busy service (think there was a wedding going on due to the “wedding samosa” calls!), you wouldn’t have known it with first class service and food. Can see why the party booked this fantastic team to cater their special day.

If you like Asian street food served in a nice beer garden by nice people, then get in your car and head over to Chorlton Green; it was magnificent.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Tom543
Altrincham, England, United Kingdom
“Ethical and Tasty with a great service.”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Hungry Gecko's Airstream Trailer nestled in the beer garden of the Beech Inn, Chorlton is one of the most unexpected and delicious experiences. The food is top notch and it is obvious that Jackie (the owner) takes a lot of pride in what she does. The ingredients are all ethically sourced with plenty of Veggie options but some meat for those dedicated carnivores. The menu changes regularly depending on what is seasonal and there is always something new to try. The staff are friendly and more than happy to explain what goes into the food and over suggestions on what you might enjoy. They can get very busy on a Friday and Saturday evening so you might have a little wait for food as a lot of their selection is cooked fresh to order, but this is above and beyond what you would expect from a street food outlet, the food is fine dining without the pretense or the price ticket. Yes you would pay a little more than you would for a nasty burger from a roadside van, but the burger wouldn't be made with Grass reared Cheshire Beef supplied by local butcher W H Frost, I doubt you would find that quality for the same price anywhere.
I am a regular here now it is one of my fave snack haunts and with Real Ales on tap at the Inn you have a great day all wrapped up in one Chorlton hideaway.

• Visited June 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The Hungry Gecko.”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I love the Beech Inn, so it was great to find The Hungry Gecko taking up residence in the garden area. The food is good, no doubt about it, but fairly pricey given the portion size...i.e. small. My first visit was good, however, during the second visit the experience was ruined because of the stress levels within the kitchen itself. This time it was Jackie Kearney herself serving. She was in a foul mood and extremely rude to her staff. Shouting, amongst other things, "It's your job to get these things done" and slamming a knife down on the counter in front of me whilst glaring at her assistant suggesting he wasn't doing his job properly. It seemed to me that her assistant was doing his best to field her remarks whilst attempting to serve customers in a professional manner. The final straw was when I asked her assistant for extra bread and rice and she shouted across the van in an aggressive way "Tell me, his English isn't very good". So my partner and I decided not go to back. Do I need to explain why? Oh, and we waited half an hour for the extra bread and rice...it didn't come.

• Visited May 2013