“Ethical and Tasty with a great service.”
Review of The Hungry Gecko - CLOSED

The Hungry Gecko
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Hungry Gecko's Airstream Trailer nestled in the beer garden of the Beech Inn, Chorlton is one of the most unexpected and delicious experiences. The food is top notch and it is obvious that Jackie (the owner) takes a lot of pride in what she does. The ingredients are all ethically sourced with plenty of Veggie options but some meat for those dedicated carnivores. The menu changes regularly depending on what is seasonal and there is always something new to try. The staff are friendly and more than happy to explain what goes into the food and over suggestions on what you might enjoy. They can get very busy on a Friday and Saturday evening so you might have a little wait for food as a lot of their selection is cooked fresh to order, but this is above and beyond what you would expect from a street food outlet, the food is fine dining without the pretense or the price ticket. Yes you would pay a little more than you would for a nasty burger from a roadside van, but the burger wouldn't be made with Grass reared Cheshire Beef supplied by local butcher W H Frost, I doubt you would find that quality for the same price anywhere.
I am a regular here now it is one of my fave snack haunts and with Real Ales on tap at the Inn you have a great day all wrapped up in one Chorlton hideaway.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I love the Beech Inn, so it was great to find The Hungry Gecko taking up residence in the garden area. The food is good, no doubt about it, but fairly pricey given the portion size...i.e. small. My first visit was good, however, during the second visit the experience was ruined because of the stress levels within the kitchen itself. This time it was Jackie Kearney herself serving. She was in a foul mood and extremely rude to her staff. Shouting, amongst other things, "It's your job to get these things done" and slamming a knife down on the counter in front of me whilst glaring at her assistant suggesting he wasn't doing his job properly. It seemed to me that her assistant was doing his best to field her remarks whilst attempting to serve customers in a professional manner. The final straw was when I asked her assistant for extra bread and rice and she shouted across the van in an aggressive way "Tell me, his English isn't very good". So my partner and I decided not go to back. Do I need to explain why? Oh, and we waited half an hour for the extra bread and rice...it didn't come.

3  Thank Denise_Manchester_12
Reviewed May 3, 2013

You should have seen my Dad's face when he took a sip - transported back to his childhood!
It's not just the chai that's top-notch -- the Hungry Gecko serves up a variety of lip-smacking Asian streetfoods. I've tried pretty much the whole menu and there's not a dud amongst them. And they do puddings too...
I take all my visitors here for a snack or a meal. On a sunny day you can eat in the garden or if it's grey, take your food inside and enjoy with an ale or 2.
An absolute must-visit.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

After visting family in Manchester and going out for a drink in the sunshine we came across The Hungry Gecko purely by chance. You would not expect to find an airstream caravan in a pub beer garden in Chorlton!! We hadn't planned on eating but after smelling the fantastic aromas and hearing the couple on the table next to us raving about their food we were sold. I had an amazing Biryani and the service was good, the food was excellent value and you could tell from the staff and the decoration of the airstream that this more than a business and there was a real passion behind it. The head chef was even a masterchef finalist. Unfortunately we are not back in Manchester for a while but we WILL be visiting again. There was a real buzz about the place and I hope it becomes a real success. Many more pubs need to do things like this.

2  Thank Bridgey_13