“ibis budget hotel”

Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street
Ranked #62 of 116 Hotels in Manchester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Coin, Spain
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked this hotel to share a friend as there was a special offer that worked out at 13.25GBP per person per night. Breakfast is only 4.25GBP per person and can be added on at the hotel, which was handy for me as I was staying for 2 days but only needed breakfast on one morning, as on the day I left, it was too early for breakfast. There is a choice of cereals, fruit, bread, croissants, jams, honey, hot drinks and fruit juice.
The hotel rooms are small but adequate. I found the bed to be fine, although an extra pillow would be nice. I just put my coat under my pillow. There is a tv with a wide choice of UK channels and radio stations, varied light settings, with strip lighting as well, a small WC cubicle, a sink/mirror area in the room and then a shower in a little cubicle area, with a shower head that lights up red, green and blue whilst in use! The shower was fine and there was no problem getting hot water. I didn't have any issues with slipping in the shower, as previous reviewers had said that a shower mat may be needed. There was heating in the room, which was very handy, as the temperature was around 0 degrees in the day time during my stay on 19 and 20 Jan. The hotel is very clean and only about a 10/15 minute walk to the city centre/Manchester Piccadilly train station. There are buses around and the hotel can call a taxi for you if you require one.
There is free wifi in the hotel, just ask for the password at reception. I would recommend that once you return home, to change passwords for websites that you have used, as sometimes the security can be compromised.
If I needed to be in the same area again, I'd consider this hotel as the price was very good and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm really pleased you enjoyed the breakfast on offer and were impressed with the mood lighting in the shower like a lot of our guests so far! It is always nice to hear positive feed back about the team and that the hotel was good value for money. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Hotel Manager
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The title says it all. I stayed for 2 nights when I had a course to attend in Manchester. The Hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from Piccadilly and the area does look a bit rough, but I never felt unsafe.
Recommend the breakfast - there was not cold meat as advertised - but the rest was excellent. Particularly good coffee and when you consider a double espresso is about £2 at costa next door, you can make your £4.50 back on the coffee alone!
The rooms are sparse, but not in a bad way – although they feel a little like a detention centre because the floors and walls a plastic, this is disguised very well by the bright colours. I love the LED strip lights under the handrail all the way around the room.
Bed is very hard, which is good if you like that. The aircon is good, but make sure that you leave it on to avoid a low winy sound coming out of it.
Staff are possibly the highlight. Very friendly and helpful.
The shower is just brilliant, possibly the best in terms of heat, power, consistency and size that I've had in a hotel - it really was very good.
Free wi-fi with the room – not fast enough to stream movies or TV but perfectly adequate for normal use. The TV appears to be able to take USB sticks so I assume that you can play movies on it – but I wasn’t able to try that because I hadn’t brought any!
I would recommend for solo travellers, business use etc but probably not for couples wanting a romantic getaway. I loved it but if I look my partner there she would probably not speak to me again.

Room Tip: all the same
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and you would describe the team as a highlight. They will be thrilled to receive the feed back. We are really pleased we can offer our guests free wifi throughout the building and it is great that the contemporary touches in the rooms are proving popular. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was visiting a friend in Manchester and doing shopping, I thought I had booked Portland Street but then remembered (from when I lived in Manc) this wasn't an Ibis Budget and I had booked Pollard Street instead, the hotel is 10mins walk from Piccadilly Train Station towards Sport City off Great Ancoats Street where buses run very regularly to/from Piccadilly Gardens if you can't be doing with the walk and also to Sport City where Manchester City stadium is along with other sporting venues, but then this is about 14mins walk from the hotel too.

The staff were warm and friendly, very helpful when I had a couple of simple questions.

The hotel is quite new still and its very modern, clean and airy. The reception area is clean and welcoming and the rooms were large enough with very comfortable double bed, could of done with another pillow but I assume reception would of gave me one if I asked.

Would highly recommend and will definitely more than likely book this hotel for my next visit with prices from £21 a night (in advance) or £28 not in advance you'd be stupid not to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hunnybabyuk
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
"Thank you very much for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted you had a comfortable stay and were impressed with the location and the reception team. Many thanks for reccomending us. Our goal is always to offer our rooms to you at an affordable price. We hope to welcome you back very soon.
London
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I love this new addition to the budget hotels of Manchester. I booked in advance so it was a bargain.

Rooms are spotless, not much in the way of soft furnishings for dirt to collect but I really like it that way - it adds to the concept. I have stayed at Etap hotels before and was happy but being brand new this one is so much better. Even having funky lights and modern switches above the bed. There's an abundance of plug sockets in the right places (under the bedside table for iPhone charging).

The shower is in the bedroom so if you were here with friends and you were a prude your friend might have to be sent away whilst you shower! But there is a door on the toilet compartment making it separate.

The staff were really friendly and welcoming. Haven't tried the free wifi as have unlimited data on my phone but this is included and would be great for international guests.

The bed is comfy, the linens crisp and clean, the pillow is nice and soft. The tv is a small flat screen.

There is an aircon/heating unit above the door which is controlled by a wall mounted switch by the bed. The window does open a small amount though and I prefer the fresh air.

The hotel is not bang in the centre of the city but a really really short 10 or so minutes from Piccadilly. There's a small corner shop nearby. I think the hotel actually benefits by being in this area - it is quiet. The only buildings nearby are modern new apartment blocks.

All in all I was very impressed. Looking forward to staying again!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Travel_World_999
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. It is great to hear that you were impressed with the modified features in the rooms, found them clean and comfortable and the team welcoming and friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Hotel General Manager