“No Beef??”

Annies
Ranked #99 of 2,398 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Annies is owned by actress Jennie McAlpine and her partner Chris Farr. Located just off St. Ann's Square in the iconic Royal Exchange building, tucked away from the hustle and bustle, Annies is the perfect setting to eat good old fashioned food and relax in comfort and style. For a business lunch, traditional afternoon tea, pre-theatre meal, leisurely evening dinner or a private party, Annies is the place to find traditional, good quality food and friendly service. Let us look after you!
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Decision made to go somewhere nice for Sunday lunch I looked for recommendations online. Having viewed a number of reviews we decided on Annies, a little more expensive than we would usually spend but given the write ups and pictures we had seen we decided to treat ourselves. The reviews suggested 'traditional british style with a classic cozy feel'. My partner loves nothing better than a good Steak and Ale Pie and I fancied a traditional Sunday lunch, so perfect! We booked online as we assumed it would be busy. As we arrived at the restaurant, the upstairs foyer was empty so we went downstairs in to the main restaurant which had around 60 covers. There was a party of around 10 people dining, along with three tables with couples. Because the restaurant was dowstairs it felt quite opressive, this was not classic and cozy, there was very little attention to detail regards ambience and the lighting was dreadful, it felt dingy and cold, particularly with so few diners. We were greeted by a very nervous waitress who seated us and gave us our menus and took our drinks order. We got our drinks and had a look at the menu. I ordered the Potted Ham Hock and my partner the Black Pudding Spring Rolls to start, we asked whether there were any mushy peas to accompany my partners main of Steak and Ale Pie with Fat Chips? The waitress, who was again very nervous so probably new, said she didn't know and would have to ask. I ordered the roast lamb but was told that there wasn't any lamb, I then asked whether the beef was pink and if so that I would have the beef instead. The waitress returned and was pleased to announce there were mushy peas, however there was not any beef fo my Sunday lunch. No beef? This was at 4 p.m. and the restaurant was virtually empty, there was no lamb or beef at this time on a Sunday afternoon? Given that this restaurant has managed to appear in the review pages of national newpapers with recommended Sunday lunch reviews, I would have thought Lamb, or at least Beef would have been readily available this early in to service? As I had my heart set on a traditional Sunday lunch we decided to cancel our order and go elsewhere. As we were leaving we walked past a waiter, he presented another diner with the Steak and Ale Pie they had ordered and the pie was absolutely tiny. It looked like a pie you would get at a football match, but paler, certainly not the 'classic, homely dish' described by the reviews. If we had stayed and we had paid £14.95 for Pie and Fat Chips (£3.50 extra for the Mushy Peas), we would have felt very let down indeed. I can't comment on how the food tasted but I can on ambience, portion control and availability, all of which were very poor, and for that, we will not be returning. No beef, on a Sunday??

Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been to Annie's a number of times for the cream scone and tea as it is a lovely little spot and very comfortable. On a number of occasions we have experienced the problems others have mentioned re staffing but we keep trying as Jennie is such a lovely person and we would like to see the venture succeed. However, the scone has disappeared to half the original size and yet still comes with the same amount of cream and jam - at least 3/4 of this will be disposed of as the scone is so small! at the beginning we shared one scone - come on don't lose your loyal clientele - cut the cream and jam if you must cut something as this was always to excess.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Went to Annie's for afternoon tea, I was treating my mum and niece. Although the service and the surroundings was excellent and the added bonus of Jenny coming to say hello was brilliant. I left with a feeling of disappointment!

Although £15 each for afternoon tea is by no means expensive, it did not feel like value for money.

The tea was Lukewarm and the sandwiches served without a choice and were very sparse!!!!

My mum and niece did not like any of the filling and hardly ate anything!!

A choice of filling would make a difference ( not everybody likes the same thing) also there needs to be more of it"

I will definitely return for the ambience and the service but not for afternoon tea.

Sorry jenny

Reviewed August 18, 2013

As a party of friends we regularly visit Manchester and following a recommendation 5 of us
pre-booked a Saturday lunch time here. This place is not on the main street and from the outside you'd not necessarily enter. On arrival we were directed downstairs to the restaurant and was surprised to see Jenny standing by the bar, my friend introduced us and from then on this charming petite lady made our experience one to remember. Although quite busy the service was instant, one small point no draft beers so bottles, wine and shorts and as its downstairs no natural light..
The starters came and were well presented, including black pudding spring rolls, potted meat and Sprinkled Lancashire cheese salad.(Could perhaps have had more cheese). Attentive waiters ensured we lacked nothing, including more drinks,
The mains were as described and perfectly cooked, traditional fish and chips, chicken, pork chop and Annie's hot pot. The place became full, resulting in lots of activity for the staff but through all this Jenny made herself available to all tables, interacting with guests, posing for pictures. The puddings followed, apple crumble, Manchester tart, trifle and cheese board. Upon leaving we were thanked by all and by one of Jenny's family. As a party we really enjoyed the meal and will revisit again in the not too distant future. Mr Thomas's has a challenger for our patronage.
If you want a special afternoon tea then this place will cater to your needs as one 'party of ladies' who celebrated in style can attest.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

After wanting to visit Annie's for sometime I was presented with the perfect opportunity when my Mum came to visit. I phoned up to make a reservation, the gentleman on the phone was very professional and polite.

On entering the reception bar the waitress did not offer us a drinks menu and then asked us on two occasions, before we had even sat down, if we would like to go down to eat despite saying we would like a drink in the bar. We eventually got a bottle of wine which was just left on the table for us to pour ourselves.

When we were taken downstairs to the empty restaurant, we were sat next to the kitchen door, in a dark corner. (Maybe it was how we looked?!) We were only offered the specials lunch menu which offered a very limited 'meal deal.' This was despite the restaurant boasting a fantastic a la carte menu on the door.

The starters arrived and we asked to be moved further into the restaurant. They did this without haste. However when the main courses arrived we were extremely disappointed. We ordered chicken and avocado salad, the avocado was missing and the whole thing was swimming in oil. The waitress took the meals away and offered us two more dishes of the limited menu, Pie or fish and chips!

At this point we decided to leave and the manager came to see us. We offered to pay for the food and the wine that we had. The manager brought over a bill for £12.00, he then picked up the bottle of wine, commented on how much we had drunk and charged us £4. He also apologised and said "any idiot can make a salad!"

I think we just expected more from the outward apperance of the restaurant but sadly the whole experience was just so disappointing and we will definitely not be returning!

Ended up going to Restaurant Bar and Grill on John Darlton Street for an amazing risotto.