“Thoroughly enjoyable meal”

Annies
Ranked #87 of 2,326 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Annies is owned by actress Jennie McAlpine and her partner Chris Farr. Located just off St. Ann's Square in the iconic Royal Exchange building, tucked away from the hustle and bustle, Annies is the perfect setting to eat good old fashioned food and relax in comfort and style. For a business lunch, traditional afternoon tea, pre-theatre meal, leisurely evening dinner or a private party, Annies is the place to find traditional, good quality food and friendly service. Let us look after you!
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We visited Annie's for a Mother's Day lunch and this being our first visit and for a special occasion I was really hoping it would live up to all the great reviews I'd read so far. Initially we thought it was empty, as the upstairs is a lounge and bar area, but upon descending the stairs it soon became clear that it was buzzing and fully booked! The decor is understated but very tasteful, making a nice change from the ostentatious, 'showy' style which seems to be popular with restaurateurs right now (but is often a case of style over substance!) Lots of brown and cream, dark wood panels, subtle lighting and discreet wall art, giving it a relaxed, classy ambiance. The staff were all very pleasant, attentive and eager to please, with the exception of one waitress who seemed a little on the stern side, although I didn't think this was intentional. This was only a very minor criticism, however, and more than made up for by the enthusiasm of the other staff.
The food was spot on - for me a lovely salmon and shrimp mousse to start, followed by roast chicken with all the trimmings - this was absolutely faultless, with each element having been cooked to perfection and a very moreish gravy! My mother had scallops to start, which melted in the mouth apparently, and the roast chicken also and by all accounts this was excellent.

The portion sizes were well-judged, as was the waiting time, with just the right amount of time before and between meals. All in all an excellent meal and I hope to return soon, as the rest of the menu looked very appetising - especially the hot pot and three cheese and onion pie!

There are newer reviews for Annies

Reviewed March 9, 2013

What a lovely place to eat really friendly and the food was delicious. We didn't have a starter and thank goodness we didn't, my daughter had the cheese and onion pie ' well that was just mmm' her words not mine when she had finished her meal I had the fish and chips and it was lovely if a little too big for me, but better to be too big than a portion thats too small. Overall would recommend this place to anyone for good food and a lovely atmosphere Well done !

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Visited Manchester with my daughter today and just as I was telling her that Jennie McAlpjne had opened a restaurant close to where we were called Annie's I spotted the sign for it- and in we went! We were greeted by Jennie's dad - what a lovely man!- and the first of all the friendly people who dealt with us! We only wanted a salad lunch and both chose the smoked chicken and avocado - delicious!
I really look forward to visiting again to receive the great friendly service, lovely food and ambience! Well done Jennie and Chris and good luck!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I don't think Annie's can be beaten for a lovely relaxing evening out.
We were greeted by Chris, the co owner, who was looking very smart as usual, and he gave us a smiling friendly welcome. We had pre booked, and Chris took us to our table and provided menus and drinks. We tried one of their unique cocktails called Amour Sparkle which was delicious.Chris is very attentive and clearly it is important to him that his guests have a really good time.
We made our choices and our waiter, Kade, took our orders. Kade was also very smart, ready to answer questions about the menu, friendly and attentive but not obtrusive. There were four of us this time and we covered quite a variety of dishes all of which lived up to our expectations.The food can't be bettered One of the obvious high points at Annie's is that everything is freshly made on the premises. Its a treat these days to have 'real' chips but here you even get a choice of fat ones or thin ones!!
Everything about Annie's is relaxed and unhurried. The music is just at the right level. you can listen but it doesn't spoil your conversation. After the meal we moved to one of the cosy seating areas to enjoy our drinks. This is another huge plus in my opinion. Instead of having to leave after your meal you can extend your evening in lovely comfortable arm chairs chatting for as long as you like.
To sum up it was a perfect evening and I am looking forward to the next time.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Had an amazing weekend 2 weeks ago, and most of it was at Annies. My 2nd/3rd/ visit. A superb menu ,full of delicious surprises. Black pudding spring rolls are a highlight.Had Saturday night dinner and a fantastic Sunday roast.I cannot praise the staff enough. A huge welcome, whoever you are, Afternoon tea is on my wishlist for next visit. In Manchester meeting friends and what better place to be in....London has nothing as good