“Great food. Poor service.”
Review of Avalanche Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Avalanche Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Bringing a slice of Italy back to the building that housed Manchester's first Italian restaurant, Avalanche is also inspired by the fine dining establishments of Paris and Monte Carlo. Introducing an Italian trattoria concept, Avalanche conjures an authentic Italian vibe. Masters in fish and seafood courses, the Avalanche menu boasts fresh halibut and lobster. Boasting a stunning chandelier and sleek artwork, Avalanche is a spacious and high class eatery.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We visited avalanche on a busy Saturday night with a table booked for 6 people. We turned up and everything's perfect. We notice they've changed the menu. So I asked the waiter, "has the curried chicken been taken off the menu?? He quotes this is an Italian restaurant! So fair enough I choose something else. We then ordered our food and drinks... The men's drinks turn up in half pint glasses, so one of our friends asks "why don't you served pints anymore". Once again the waiter who was very condersending saying this is an Italian restaurant, not a pub!!! So we asked his name, he was called Andy from Slovakia!! Well that's not very Italian is it???
Later on in the night they cleared our plates and didn't even offer us a desert menu, we asked twice for a desert menu and finally a man brought it saying, "there's nothing left of the desert menu apart from cheese cake" so we was very disappointed and just asked for the bill!!

Not only that we had requested birthday sparklers for our fiends birthday and that didn't even happen bacause we couldn't have cake!!!

We will take our service somewhere else.

Sad to say amazing food terrible service!!!

4  Thank AndreaOakes14

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Great restaurant, had dinner with friends while i was in Manchester . The whole setting, service and quality of food was amazing. Next time i travel to Manchester this will be my next stop.

1  Thank Steve T
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I thought Avalanche was fabulous. The atmosphere was buzzy and intimate, perfect for a special occasion, a meal out with friends or a date. The food was superb, really tasty with a colourful and clean presentation. And the service was pitched just right, friendly but not in your face.

2  Thank Vikki W
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We were in Manchester for the Robbie Williams concert. On our way back to the hotel we came across this restaurant. We had a very nice meal and glass of wine. The staff were very polite and efficient. The meal was hot and very tasty. The lunchtime and early theatre menu was good value

2  Thank Christopher C
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We went for lunch yesterday (Fathers Day) haveing walked past Avalanche a few Saturdays previous and thought it looked amazing. I guess it's true what they say...Never judge a book by its cover. Firstly I have to say the staff were brilliant, very professional but still friendly too. The decor is beautiful, so light and I loved the crisp white linen table cloths, makes such a nice change. Sadly it is the food that let it down in our case.
To start my Daughter and I had duck spring rolls, an unusual thing to find on an Italian Restaurant menu but we thought we'd give it a go...big mistake, they were huge, the pasty casing was hot but the shredded duck and veg inside were really cold, not even warm. I asked the waiter if they were meant to be cold or warm, he didn't know but went to speak to the chef to find out....they were meant to be hot. To be fair they offered us another starter but by this time the three other people in our party had almost finished so they removed them from the bill. The other three said there starters were ok. For my main I had lobster risotto, the actual risotto was good, really tasty but I only had one small piece of white flesh lobster the other four pieces were the horrible soggy orange bits from the claw...UGH!!! and some random small prawns! On the menu, which, I have to say does not resemble the one online whatsoever, the 'small prawns' were off a different risotto from the menu...maybe they ran out of lobster and threw those in as back up...who knows and the chunky chips were frozen!!! None of our party were overly impressed with the mains at all. For desert we had the sharing platter, it wasn't the best at all.
My overall opinion is that Avalanch are trying to be like San Carlo, I would say the staff and decor are better but the food comes nowhere near. My big question is, why is the menu online so much better with far more choice than the actual menu in the restaurant??