“Great new Italian in Manchester”
Review of Avalanche Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Avalanche Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bringing a slice of Italy back to the building that housed Manchester's first Italian restaurant, Avalanche is also inspired by the fine dining establishments of Paris and Monte Carlo. Introducing an Italian trattoria concept, Avalanche conjures an authentic Italian vibe. Masters in fish and seafood courses, the Avalanche menu boasts fresh halibut and lobster. Boasting a stunning chandelier and sleek artwork, Avalanche is a spacious and high class eatery.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great new Italian in Manchester”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I thought Avalanche was fabulous. The atmosphere was buzzy and intimate, perfect for a special occasion, a meal out with friends or a date. The food was superb, really tasty with a colourful and clean presentation. And the service was pitched just right, friendly but not in your face.

2 Thank Vikki W

Morecambe
“Very good meal at lunchtime”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We were in Manchester for the Robbie Williams concert. On our way back to the hotel we came across this restaurant. We had a very nice meal and glass of wine. The staff were very polite and efficient. The meal was hot and very tasty. The lunchtime and early theatre menu was good value

2 Thank Christopher C
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Just about hits average.”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We went for lunch yesterday (Fathers Day) haveing walked past Avalanche a few Saturdays previous and thought it looked amazing. I guess it's true what they say...Never judge a book by its cover. Firstly I have to say the staff were brilliant, very professional but still friendly too. The decor is beautiful, so light and I loved the crisp white linen table cloths, makes such a nice change. Sadly it is the food that let it down in our case.
To start my Daughter and I had duck spring rolls, an unusual thing to find on an Italian Restaurant menu but we thought we'd give it a go...big mistake, they were huge, the pasty casing was hot but the shredded duck and veg inside were really cold, not even warm. I asked the waiter if they were meant to be cold or warm, he didn't know but went to speak to the chef to find out....they were meant to be hot. To be fair they offered us another starter but by this time the three other people in our party had almost finished so they removed them from the bill. The other three said there starters were ok. For my main I had lobster risotto, the actual risotto was good, really tasty but I only had one small piece of white flesh lobster the other four pieces were the horrible soggy orange bits from the claw...UGH!!! and some random small prawns! On the menu, which, I have to say does not resemble the one online whatsoever, the 'small prawns' were off a different risotto from the menu...maybe they ran out of lobster and threw those in as back up...who knows and the chunky chips were frozen!!! None of our party were overly impressed with the mains at all. For desert we had the sharing platter, it wasn't the best at all.
My overall opinion is that Avalanch are trying to be like San Carlo, I would say the staff and decor are better but the food comes nowhere near. My big question is, why is the menu online so much better with far more choice than the actual menu in the restaurant??

Cowes, United Kingdom
“Nice Sunday evening”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We are visiting Manchester and went here with a friend on her recommendation and what a good one it was. A welcome entrance and welcoming staff on our arrival.

The menu and wine list is good with a great choice of starters and mains. The service was fast, excellent and a tentative without being intrusive.

We would recommend a visit here.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointing! The decor outshines the food!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I have been looking forward to trying this place out for a while however was a bit disappointed with the food.....first impressions were amazing as the place looks fantastic.....service was quick and it was a busy Saturday night (15.6.13) the waitress got the drink order wrong then also messed up the starters order bringing out extra things that were not ordered, she took them away and rectified the situation but only when challenged as mentioning we didn't order these fell on deaf ears at first!!.....the food was very average....I didn't eat mine as I chose gnocchi that was so loaded with chilies it was tasteless after the first mouthful! I was on fire! It was not in the menu as a hot dish or I would not have ordered it....the waitress then on removing the plates etc managed to spill steak sauce down one of the occupied seats (luckily just about avoiding my dad) she didn't even stop to apologise?! We definitely won't be returning as there are other restaurants that are much better. Decor however and drinks you can't fault however this is a restaurant!!!! Disappointing.