“disappointed”

Umezushi
Ranked #7 of 2,279 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Please note Umezushi is on a Summer Break from 26th June and will re open on Wednesday 5th of July. For reservations and enquiries please see our website. Apologise for any inconvenience it may cause.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“disappointed”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Have wanted to try this place for ages, booked for 2 of us, the only available time for lunch was 12, so I booked it. When we arrived there was no one else in the place, and we were on our own for a good 30 mins until another 5 people turned up, so no idea why we couldnt have booked a later time!
Anyhow, the main reason I am disappointed is the minimal selection available at lunchtime. I had no idea that the main menu was only available in the evening, and having just gone back on the website, nowhere does it specifically state that if you visit at lunchtime you will have the choice of just 5 dishes, none of them traditional sushi!
I visited with my son, who's birthday it was, and both of us love our sushi. I thought this would be a brilliant treat for us, and was looking forward to trying some exciting new tastes and spending lots of money!! What we had was nice, but very very disappointing in terms of choice.
As for the place, it was as expected small with only about 20 covers. When we visited it felt as if they werent really ready for customers, there were boxes piled up on 2 of the tables, and it was cold and lacking any atmosphere. Had the website booking system not led me to believe that it was full for lunch I could have booked later and possibly had a better experience.
Such a shame, will probably try and visit at another time, when the real menu is available and will hopefully have more of the experience of some of the other reviewers on here.

London, United Kingdom
“The best sushi I've ever eaten”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

As a sushi lover I'm aware that places like Yo!Sushi don't really cut it when it comes to authentic sushi and fresh ingredients but it's been one of the only places to go for a while. When I heard about Umezushi it sounded fantastic & I knew we had to give it a go. Don't be put off by the unassuming location - once inside it's a small and cosy slice of sushi heaven. We came for my mum's birthday in a group of 5 - we were the largest group int here seeing as it only seats about 20 so booking in advance is a must. Everything is made fresh in front of you & I would highly recommend trying a mixed platter with a bit of everything and some specials from the board - the razor clams were a particular favourite.

Don't come if you like chains, large drinks variety, or are a big group - this place is small, intimate, and it's definitely all only about the food. If you love sushi, or want to try it, this place is a must. It's pricey but worth it. Cannot wait to go back.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank North_South_EAT_West
Bolton
“Qaulity”
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Small well laid out little place. We had a nice waitress that was working hard to attend to all the tables at once, which she managed perfectly. The food was very tasty and quick too. Wonderful selection available! We will be back!!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Just like Tokyo”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I have been to Umezushi a few times now and cannot wait to go back.. So it is not cheap, but it is definatley worth the money. A few people on here have criticised the interior - but I think they are missing the point - the atmosphere is very authentic - just like the buzzy little restaurants you get in the side streets of Tokyo. Each time I have been the food has been stunning in terms of taste, freshness and appearance. I have had the sushi, sashimi, salads, pork rice, noodles..... They change the menu all the time depending on what they can get in fresh, so I can't get bored of the offering. I am especially pleased they have started doing lunch and are doing take away lunch boxes - what a treat. I am just booking another holiday to Japan - and until then Umezushi will more than fufil my Japanese cravings.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Sushi doesn't get better than this”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

There are not enough Japanese restaurants in the NorthWest but this one is terrific. The Tempura prawns a particular favourite and the Chefs jumbo roll very tasty treat.

Worth the trip from Macclesfield to sample their delights. Can't wait to go again.