“Hidden Gem”

Umezushi
Ranked #13 of 2,242 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Please note that we are closed on Mondays and the last Sunday of each month.
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Been a number of times. Great fresh Sushi utilising local seafood as well as the classics. Great service, friendly staff.

• Visited February 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Generally good but has marked inconsistencies”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

When I first paid a random visit to Umezushi it was for a Sunday lunch in the midst of winter. Welcoming, warm and cozy, it was a very intimate meal with one waitress, the chef and only one other table occupied next to ours. I remember being blown away by the hot dish of the day, the seafood udon, which was so authentic and rich in flavour and generous with good quality seafood. The sashimi and nigiri were also very fresh and professionally sliced - after all, that's all you need in sushi.

And so I was extremely pleased to have stumbled upon a new, innovative and good Japanese restaurant in Manchester.

My next visit was when I treated my partner to a birthday dinner on an early Sunday evening (again, there were only a few other customers). We both had the tasting menu which consisted of a 7-course meal ranging from maki, nigiri, sashimi, tempura, a hot dish (we had the tuna tataki which was INCREDIBLE), miso soup and dessert. At £30++ per person this was a meal to die for. The quality of each dish was impeccable and we were amazed to be served such sweet, large and fresh scallops.

Third visit - a random weekday after-work treat, where I had sushi and sashimi which again did not fail to disappoint. I also ordered the hot dish of the day which was pan-fried Gressingham duck with plum sauce. The duck was one of the best duck dishes I've ever had, and being a Chinese who loves her proper Peking duck and Cantonese roast duck, this is a very bold thing to say! This duck was so succulent and perfectly cooked, and went very well with their special plum sauce (not your regular Chinese-style plum sauce but their own concoction).

So far so good that I couldn't stop raving about Umezushi to friends who are Japanese food lovers.

So obviously when these friends from out-of-town came to Manchester for a visit (and to celebrate my birthday), where else did I suggest to go for dinner other than Umezushi? I excitedly booked a table for a very recent Saturday dinner and pre-ordered the tasting menu for the four of us. Sad to say, that meal was unfortunately one of the worst experiences we've had dining in Manchester.

First let me start by saying that the meal took about 3 and a half hours (usually 1 1/2 hours) as the restaurant was full. It took an hour for them to serve up the 2nd course after we finished the first. The first course of maki was good, nothing to complain about, and after that everything seemed to have gone downhill. The nigiri and sashimi mainly consisted of white fish which was sliced thicker than we would normally expect and the texture of the fish was very stringy. I was very excited to see the pan-fried duck on the hot dish menu again and so did not hesitate to order it for myself. The rest also had the duck and seafood glass noodles (stir-fried). Unfortunately both dishes were way below par - the duck was undercooked, under-flavoured and tough, with no side sauce (it was very dry), and the seafood glass noodles were tasteless. The only saving grace for the tasting menu was the dessert which was essentially just fried mango in tempura batter with a scoop of ice-cream.

I left the restaurant feeling somewhat embarrassed that I had coaxed my friends to paying £40++ each for a meal that was underwhelming and mediocre. I don't think I had exaggerated on the hype up as my previous experiences at Umezushi were very memorable with really good food. From this experience it was clear that they could not handle a fully packed restaurant and struggled to keep up with getting food out on time and hence had to sacrifice on the taste as well.

What a shame that this experience has put me off Umezushi for the time being. I will definitely go back again on a quieter day, but not in the near future! That said I still would recommend people to give it a try - on a good day, their food is amazing and of good quality, but please stay away from peak periods!

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank rswizzle
“Fantastic sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've eaten here twice - once at lunchtime and once at night. The food on both occasions was outstanding; for dinner I chose the tasting menu and for lunch a sushi selection with a side order of spinach. Every dish on the tasting menu was amazing! All the food is so fresh and impeccably presented.The other dishes are well worth trying as well as the sushi - the spinach comes with a tasty satay sauce, and the whitebait tempura is lovely. My only issue is that the service is quite slow; I didn't mind this for dinner as it was fine to have a leisurely dinner and drink but it would be nice if it could be quicker at lunchtimes.

• Visited May 2013
“Fab find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely restaurant, we visited based on the reviews and we weren't disappointed by the food. Everything was so fresh and well cooked/prepared, we will certainly come back again. The venue and decor are a little bland but that's not what you're paying for here, the staff were great, very attentive and helpful in explaining the menu and dishes. Good value for money and we will certainly return.

Visited May 2013
“Outstanding sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have eaten at Umezushi several times now and the sushi has never been less than outstanding. The daily choice of fish is based on what sushi-grade fish is available rather than what may be popular and is all the better for it.

The tempura is also outstanding and the other dishes are well worth sampling, favourites being the pickles and ever changing veggie sides.

The drinks are also good and the Ferran Adria inspired Estrella beer is well worth sampling along with some hot sake of course.

• Visited April 2013