“Great food, slow service”
Review of Umezushi

Ranked #2 of 2,409 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Set in the heart of Manchester city centre, you will find our relaxed, intimate sushi bar offering an unparalleled dining experience through fresh, inspired creations. At the very core of our service offering is freshness and quality – in our ideas and our produce. Our skilled chefs are always striving to push the boundaries of the menu in innovative ways, to excite the palate of our customers and bring you Japanese dining at its very best. You can discover tempting hot dishes such as Taiwanese pork rice, Japanese Wagyu beef, daily special fish board. And choose from a plethora of sumptuous sides... While on the drinks menu, an impressive selection of beverages includes Japanese Koshu wines – probably their debut appearance in Manchester! We are happy to recommend, so please ask! Reservations highly recommended.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Visited Umezushi early on a Wednesday evening and there was just one couple dining at the time, although the place was full by the time we left, 2 hours later. Food was really good, but service was really slow, probably due to the fact there was only one waitress and one chef working that evening. The first round of food took half an hour to arrive, but when we ordered some more, it took them almost an hour, as the restaurant was busier then. Food was really tasty and the waitress really helpful and sweet. Would recommend a visit to anyone who likes sushi, however you need to be a bit patient.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Ate here with friends Thursday 28th march. Whilst our friends had made reservations for 2 at 7:30 when we decided to join them the waitress seemed to be put out that 4 people were dinning instead of the 2 booked. Whilst the menu and board was explained if was clear that was an effort for the waitress. Drinks were ordered arrived within a reasonable time, there are no standard brand soft drinks. The wine was nice. We needed a little more time to make our choices. We all really enjoy sushi and were keen to try a lot of the items on the menu. Meanwhile more diners had arrived, we put in our order and waited, then waited and waited some more. After half an hour we flagged down the waitress for more drinks and had to keep doing this to keep thirst abay. It would appear that could have sat at our table for hours without being asked if we would like anything else to drink. Then the food arrival time. We followed up a couple of items as the delay seemed very long. I understand we had ordered a lot but it's sushi, no actual cooking required! Around 8:40 the food began to arrive, yes after an hour being seated and ordering. The food was amazing, we all really enjoyed the variety and the freshness of the fish. We had seen people arrive order, eat and pay before we got a second round of drinks. It was such a shame the slow service impacted our superb meal.

3  Thank MissKandMrJ
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Went to this restaurant after reading the reviews here, on an early evening.
Service was lovely; very attentive and helpful and the food was just outstanding-Really fresh sushi and the side dishes of wilted greens and edamame beans were seasoned and cooked perfectly.

All the dishes we chose were prepared to order; they have an open kitchen and i enjoyed watching the Chefs at work. I imagine during busy periods this may affect the speed of service but fresh food takes time to prepare and anyone that cannot accept this should just stick to nandos/cafe rouge.

Very reasonably priced at £42 for two of us and I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone and I will definitely be back in the near future to try the rest of the Menu.
Yes it is a small restaurant and yes it is kind of difficult to find if you are unfamiliar with Manchester but for me, this adds to it's charm and ambience.

The bottom line; this is the best Sushi I have ever had in Manchester, perhaps even the UK (and I'm a bugger for a bit of sushi)

1  Thank pedal_pushin_red_ed
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We ate here on a quiet night, only 2 other couples in, and it felt like forever to get food, and the pace was totally out of synch. Service was friendly, but definitely not attentive, we had to catch attention to order drinks, and could be sat with empty dishes and glasses for significant periods of time. We know that food comes when it's ready, but it was just so out of synch! The sushi came after half an hour, but it was yet another hour again for my partners udon dish to arrive! My pickle platter arrived half an hour after we had eaten the sushi, and we were sat there with nothing but pickles.. There was 1 chef and 2 waitresses for 6 customers, it really isn't acceptable that orders are taken, and not processed, with any due care, especially if they know their turnaround times. They need more people in the kitchen, unless the intention is that people are to be left waiting. There isn't a great deal of atmosphere, the room was really cold, and we only realised after we had paid and left, that they had charged us full price for drinks, rather than bill us for the 50% off price during 'happy hour'. It's a real shame, as the food is great, just that everything else lets it down.

2  Thank marie_biscuit77
Terry H, Owner at Umezushi, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear customer,

Firstly, thank you very much for leaving me with such informative review, and please accept my most sincere apology! I am deeply concerned by your experience at Umezushi, and I can reassure you that I will get to the bottom of it.

I just wonder if you could be very kind and send me the date, time of your visit, where about you were sitting in the restaurant, and a copy of the receipt (if no receipt, please inform me the total amount spent) to terry@umezushi.co.uk

Again, many apologies for your experience. This kind of service is not what we are proud of, and I will make sure the same situation doesn't happen again.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.
All the best

Reviewed March 27, 2013

After a long day in the office while travelling I found this restaurant on Tripadvisor.

Overall - there is a lot to love here and something potentially really special. Some things just threw me (maybe that's the aim!), but the focus and effort is clear.

Location - this very small restaurant is a 10 minute walk from the Arndale Centre and next to the Manchester Arena...so yes you would not walk past...but it's not exactly isolated.

Great -

- Simple menu with focus versions of great Japanese food. The "chefs fish selection" was a nice combination of 2 rolls and 5 sushi.
- Outstanding execution - the level of focus and effort is admirable.Each item was precise with subtle additions to the norm - i.e. 2 clams in the miso, sashimi served on ice with long strips of cucumber.
- Service - beautiful ,engaging, friendly

Questions -

- the kitchen capacity seems to be a limiting factor and the time to be served is mentioned many times on the menu - something to sort out?
- the pictures on the wall are of Spanish dancers...the toilet shows a Japanese house overlooking a city - the combination is rather strange in a Japanese restaurant
- The order in which my food arrived was a little odd - miso after sushi?
- The food was lovely...my only small comment was that the mixed tempura was about 30% too small for ideal (it was more various and tasty than normal though).