“Nice surprise”

Ranked #876 of 2,436 Restaurants in Manchester
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 29, 2013

On a works trip and stumbled in after likig the sign! Nice authentic food, if a little strange atmosphere and ordering. Would probably come again

Reviewed September 18, 2013

came to manchester to visit a friend
and for 2 hours whilst shopping round chinatown we kept debating on what to eat
i wanted english, my friend wanted hot pot or thai
i then said i dont mind eating rice
then my other friend suggested red hot, they do hot pot as well
i'm not a keen szechuan person myself, i like spicy but that numbing spicyness doesn't do it for me

went upstairs and was asked if we having a la cart or hot pot, we looked at the hot pot menu and for £18 per person compared to the one i regulary go to in leeds, the ingrediants wasn't good enough

we went for a la cart

seating of the tables are squashed and not comfortable

we sat on a rectangle table for 6, however there was only 4 of us, and at busy times they bang on two starngers dining next to you...which i dont like

ok, everything on the m,enu looked good to me, and for 4 girls we ordered 8 items!!

service is nothign to rant about...or should i say one word slack

seafood tofu... very nice, however when it say seafood i do not expect to see crab sticks!!
seafood noodles... i expected a crispy base with seafood in a sauce, however it was a stir fry, tasted very good like the chinese *soy yellow fried noodles*
brocolli and scallops... very tasty
pigs trotter- give this a miss, very chewy and not at all soft
twice cooked belly pork- i loved this, pork was crispy, not too spicy
beef tripe- this is a cold dish, very nice, however portion size was a little big in my opinion (rest of the meal portion size was SMALL!!)
spinach soup- very clear and healthy- on the menu it says it helps reduce fat
soba noodles with chicken- all of us favourite meal... yet i cant quite describe it

food made up for the lack of service, and horrible seating arrangements
portion size is small!!!
we ordered 3 cold starters and 5 mains for 4 girls, no alcohol, one lemon tea bill without tips £71, very very cheap!!! the lemon tea itself was £4

my two friends from manchester said the taste of the food has actually improved as well

would recommend and i would come back

Reviewed August 3, 2013

If you like spicy food, and enjoy Chinese cuisine, then the Red & Hot Szechuan restaurant is for you. My son recommended this one based on his experience of Red & Hot in London (it's either a chain or a franchise - not sure which), so my husband and I visited the Faulkner Street outlet with him after a day at Ashes cricket at Old Trafford. It's in the heart of Chinatown, so easy to find.

We really enjoyed the numbing beef and the sizzling pork with chillies - spicy enough without taking the roof of your mouth off - and served hot and steaming. The chicken and peanuts in sweet and sour sauce didn't go down so well as it was a little too sweet for our palates, but there were some interesting delicate smokey flavours in there as well.

It's excellent value - less than £60 for the 3 of us with drinks, and we left quite a lot of food, too, as we were all full!

We'll be back!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Before we start, let me make one thing clear, Szhechan is not my food of choice, but my wife's, so we ate here for her benefit, rather than mine and made the tactical choice of doing so on Chinese New Year.

Understandably, the place was heaving and we opted for the Chinese Hot Pot, which proved to be absolutely superb (again, not a meal I gravitate towards). Everything was well prepared and the meal was thoroughly enjoyable.

Yo can tell the dishes are hot and you can almost taste the spiciness in the air (I swear my throat tickled the whole time we were there).

My wife ordered some other dishes, which were equally nice, so I was impressed that I'd enjoyed a meal I wasn't really looking forward to.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Have been going here on a regular basis for a couple of years now as we preferred it to Red Chilli. However, having vsiited yesterday, its becoming clear that this place is seriosly lacking in management. The toilets were disgusting, with only a cold water tap available!!?? The Gung Pao prawns were quite clearly not cooked fresh and were heated up...tough as bullets. The 2 waiting staff were only interested in their mobile phones and then had the cheek to add 10% service...what for??? I am happy to pay for service....there wasn't any here though. We won't be returning, which is a shame.....it used to be so good.

2  Thank hardtoplease67