“Shabby environment”

Claretys
A TripAdvisor Member
“Shabby environment”
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Oh dear. My friend and I chose to visit using a Groupon, I am so glad we did not pay full price. We were greeted professionally, filled out a comprehensive health questionnaire and was led to the changing area. No gowns, no slippers (although we were warned about the lack of gowns) and the first adjective that sprang to mind was shabby. We used the spa facilities for approx an hour before our treatments, the jacuzzi was poorly maintained with tiles missing and was cooler than I expected. The rest if the facilities were, for want of a better word, meh!

We went into the treatment room waiting area where no staff were in attendance, we made ourselves tea and had lots of time to take in the surroundings. There was a microwave and towels flung in a corner creating completely the wrong atmosphere and what we thought were manicure colours left for clients to use were, in fact, materials not cleared up by therapists who must have performed manicures on the settee! We saw the funny side after I had removed my friend's old nail varnish with it.

I got the distinct impression my therapist was an agency worker, however, I could not fault her work. The treatment couch was large and comfortable, the body exfoliation was ok, but the hot stone massage was blissful! This treatment did make us feel chilled for the remainder of the evening but needless to say we did not spend our evening in the shabby spa!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
“Brilliant, would definitely go again!!”
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I booked a spa daybook me & my mum, great value for money. Great customer services everything went to plan. We filled out the health forms & were offered water & herbal tea, after the form were filled out we were led to the changing rooms they went decent size. After we had got changed we headed to the pool the water was a lovely temperature. The jecusie wad wonderful, unfortunately the sana was closed but this was nothing to worry about. Once we had got changed the lady at reception led my mum to get her treatments done she had a facial, hot stones massage, Indian Head massage & an extra half an hour treatment because it was her birthday she was very impressed with the therapist, I was then led to have my treatments done by a lady called Nadia very professional she was and brilliant to have a conversation With. She did my nails perfectly & my hot stones massage was amazing could have fell asleep. This was a great day & would go again the facilities were perfect & the staff made the day brilliant.

wigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dirty environment, poor organisation but great therapists”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Myself and my friend had booked 2 treatments each, mine was facial and manicure, my friend hot stone massage and pedicure. After completing the health forms we were guided to a small waiting area to wait for our treatments. This area was shabby and cluttered, there was also a pile of shoes in a corner, not great first impression. However, the facial was brilliant, done by Nadia who was a lovely lady, very professional, highly skilled and knowledgable. After the facial I was led back to the waiting area where I was shocked to find my friend having her pedicure! (and in full view of other clients). We were told the reason was that they had mixed up the treatments for clients which meant they had no available rooms to do manicures or pedicures and I would need to wait at least 20 mins until they found somewhere to do my manicure. Eventually I was led to one of the treatment rooms and expected to have my 'manicure' done at a proper nail station/table but a towel was merely placed on the end of a massage bed and this was used as an impromptu work surface .There was a box under the bed which meant I couldnt get my legs under to sit forward so I was twisted to one side throughout the duration. The treatment was described as a manicure but all they did was apply gel nails, no hand treatment at all. My friend said same with 'pedicure' they just painted her toe nails, no peducure involved at all. She also said that when she was all undressed ready for her hot stone massage she was told to get dressed again as they had no available room to do the massage and she would have to wait. The therapist who my nails was excellent ( sorry didnt get her name) and the gel nails applied expertly and look fab. ( even though no manicure!) The treatment room was fully lit and I couldnt help looking around whilst I had my nails done. I was apalled at the state of it, I can only describe it as filthy. There was a towel warmer which was dirty and needed a good scrub and the surfaces, shelves floor etc were also unclean. We decided against using the spa facilities as planned (and included in price)and went to spa changing rooms to put our makeup on. The changing area was no better, grimy and unclean and other clients were complaining. So all in all a poor experience. I have never stayed at the Hilton so if the rest of the hotel and bedrooms are the same standard of cleanliness as the spa I certainly would not be a guest or recommend this place to anyone. The Spa staff are excellent and it's a pity the environment they work in does not reflect their professionalism.

1 Thank CatSpanglz
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Extremely Budget voucher”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Myself and my Mum had 2 spa treatment with spa access and our experience was very average. I bought a voucher off Living social for £70 which I would say it a good deal but not cheap for you get. We turn up 2 hours earlier to use the spa and my mum asked one of the staff whether she could add an extra treatment to have her eye brows done which we was willing to pay for but the staff declined saying they was over booked. When we come to use the spa there were no Both robes available and the floor in the women’s changing rooms were extremely wet and slippery. The swim and Jacuzzi experience was nice. When we come to have our treatments , we was waiting In the changing rooms and the staff was talking for around ten minute before our treatment “which surely could have use the time to do eye brows for the money”. I had a manicure and my mum had a pedicure which was not a full pedicure as I would expected. Basically it was just your nails painted Not even any cream on afterwards! Facial was ok.

Visited June 2014
Whitworth, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Let down is not the word”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Haven't even managed to get to this place, bought a voucher for myself and a friend to go as a relaxation as we had both had a tough few weeks and I'd been on two tough work trips, we booked our whole day around using this voucher....hotel stay over, got rid of our kids, meal out for tea etc, I have rang for 4 weeks to get no answer, been through switchboards, to no answer, left 7/8 voice mails with mine, my friends and my work numbers, no reply. Was told neither of my emails had got through and when a member of Hilton hotel staff got the manager I was told, fully booked til August extra cost with voucher to use on a Saturday and she said , I should not have arranged a whole day around something I might not get....the staff are too busy to answer the phones, ....when queried all my voice mails, "we are busy" I am furious and after reading other reviews on here I don't think I will want to go anyway

2 Thank Lady-K-x