“Mustardly over-rated”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Attended on a sunday afternoon after being recommended by friends. After managing to find the entrance we were told we'd have to wait on the street, though fortunately this was only for a couple of minutes. We climbed the three flights of stairs (not great for my pregnant wife) and were greeted by a relatively pleasant waitress, who showed all 6ft of me and the aforementioned pregnant wife to what I can only assume was a kiddies table jammed in between two other kiddies tables, with four adults a piece, in the doorway between the two rooms of the 'restaurant'. It should have been a warning when we noticed how grubby and sticky the 'table' was. We each ordered from the sparse menu, not really knowing what we were ordering due to the 'trendy' names given to the ingredients. Drinking out of jam jars neither bothers or impresses me, especially when I have to return said jar due to it being filthy. Bit of a wait for food but this wasn't unexpected given the time/day of our visit. I would describe the food as average. I was particularly looking forward to the chilli cheese fries, as I'd heard good things. When they arrived they were cold and covered in mustard, which wasn't stated on the menu, and being a mustard-hater this didn't go down very well - just glad I didn't have a mustard allergy! I tried to better this by using one of the sauces, however the sauce bottles looked like they'd been dragged out of a skip - they were dirty, sticky and had congealed sauce on the neck of the bottle. The staff were okay, you were in for a treat when one of the waitresses bent over and you got a free knicker flash.
I visited with a very open mind and was looking forward to it as I'd heard good things but I found the whole place over-crowded, noisy, and the burger was no better than that at GBK. Very disappointed and won't be going back nor recommending it to anyone else! Perhaps I'm not young or trendy enough to understand the appeal of this venue but at 32 I'm not over the hill just yet!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,562)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

If you want better than average food, at a very reasonable price with a slightly cuban-esc feel with its " we just threw this together ambiance" then get yourselves down, or up there.

However if you don't have the patience of a saint and don't want to witness thick adults playing restaurant then it would be probably better to avoid this establishment. The meet and greet at pavement level was well informed and pro-active. Comments that could not easily be used to describe Humpty and Dumpty who were behind the bar and taking the food orders. I was there on Sunday 10/2/13, blue and white t-shirt boys, you know who you were. They were completely infatuated by the hangover of a pretty blond to the point that everyone else was ignored and they regurgitated their entire c.v of previous bar employment to her. If I was the owner of almost famous I would seriously consider moving them on and extending their c.v. further as "inefficient" is not an acceptable job spec in any restaurant. If Humphrey and Dumpty happen to be the owners the informed meet and greet outside should move on quickly.
Acceptable food and venue, unacceptable work ethic...makes recommendation difficult.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Alot of hype surrounds Almost Famous, so the 1st thing to note here is expect to wait. That may include outdoors on the street, then in the bar for a seat, then a queue to be served & then at your table for your food to arrive. We arrived about an hour after opening on a Thursday & went straight upstairs. The place was already very full & we were told to expect an hour wait in the bar, but after being asked if we wanted to share a table with other customers were seated within 20 minutes. We came again over the weekend & the exact same wait greeted us. The music was good & not too loud for this time of day I thought. The food was excellent, with visiting twice over the weekend we had a good variety of things off the menu between 2 of us. The trailer trash fries being the stand out dish for me. The burgers were excellent, some of the best I've eaten, all served in plastic baskets. Drinks served in jam jars - the cocktails are fantastic. The place is sparsely decorated, sort of canteen style with lots of charlie sheen quotes on the plain white walls. We found the service friendly enough, the girl in charge of seating was helpful in getting us seated as efficiently as she could & the girl who served us chatted with me about the food. I have read lots of people criticising the whole "hipster" thing, but I honestly didn't notice it at the times we visited. I would go back & have recommended to others, some who have already made the visit & loved it too.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The food here is brilliant. If only I liked being served by obnoxious, rude hipster morons then this place would get 5 stars.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Visited on a Sunday and got there in time for the opening. It was a bit like an Easyjet flight...when the doors opened it was a mad scramble up the stairs for seats. We didn't have to wait long at all for our food, and to be fair it was exactly what we expected - good quality, tasty, juicy burgers, with an unsurprising selection of fries and sides. I'm not a massive fan of bbq/chipotle/smokey sauces, which really limited me to just one of the burgers. Also, I'm not a philistine, but I'd have really liked some ketchup (sorry!) - I don't necessarily mean Heinz, homemade would be nice. The only other thing is its accessibility. If you go with the kids, leave the pushchair - space is tight. There is a lift, but if you're in a wheelchair, forget it - there was a table right outside the door and no room between tables to manoeuvre. There was a highchair, but it didn't have a tray or straps. It's all pretty basic, under the guise of NQ cool; the burgers were nice but far from the best I've ever had. Didn't really live up to the hype.

1  Thank Toffeegirl1878