“A sad end to a once happy relationship”
Review of The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Ranked #69 of 2,389 Restaurants in Manchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A modern bar/restaurant: A celebration of the unconventional, dark and controversial! Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My girlfriend and I used to visit the Alchemist regularly; it was the location of one of our first dates so it had a sentimental pull, and I'd go as far as to say we became 'regulars'. Something has changed about the place, the once polite and well-mannered staff have been gradually replaced by ignorant, rude workers who couldn't seem to care less. I won't go into too much detail, but over the course of three (ever increasingly) abysmal visits I've now decided never to go there again. It's a real shame as it used to be a special place for us. My strongest recommendation would be to go back to basics and hire people who had a genuine enthusiasm, and not just want to be aloof 'hipsters' who strut around with an air of (misguided!) superiority. And the once 'intriguing' menu soon tires after the first few visits. All in all, on the decline. far from unsalvageable, but definitely not worth the risk of booking for a special occasion (like our anniversary), stick to a proper restaurant for that. I would just like to point out that we were offered a free meal and drinks, but we turned the offer down, such was our disappointment with how our special day was p*ssed on.

SamandTommy, Guest Relations Manager at The Alchemist, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Hi Tom,

I would like to begin by thanking you for your review. Any feedback helps us to look at our venue with a different perspective. I am saddened that you feel disappointed by your visit with us but can reassure you that many customers leave extremely happy with the high level of food, drink and service that we offer. I understand, however, that you have not left entirely happy with your visit. As we have already offered you a meal to try and restore your faith in our company our management would be more than happy to talk to you and discuss the issues that you have. Please contact either Jessica (BDM) or Hannah (General Manager) - newyorkstbdm@thealchemist.uk.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)

Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife has always wanted to eat here as it always looks great from the outside, and we weren't disappointed. We had been sent a '50% off food' email and booked online for 5pm on a Tuesday evening in January. We thought it would be quiet, but what a great buzz the place had even at that early hour. Food was excellent, we shared starters of olives and edamame beans, and mains were a fillet steak and a fillet steak fajita. Service was efficient and friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the atmosphere, and will definitely go again.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

This place was hopping with the floor being split between a bar and a restaurant all on the same level. The food was simple grill fare but well executed. The noise levels were very high so if you wanted a quiet romantic dinner this is not the place to go but definitely a good spot to meet up with friends.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

The first thing we noticed on entering Alchemist that it was a stylish place to be and the atmosphere was lovely. They have a long drinks menu, which has plenty of alcoholic and non-alcoholic options, meaning those who don't drink like myself don't feel left out. My husband was spoilt for choice with the cocktails. The staff were all very upbeat and seemed genuinely friendly - some of the best service I've had in a while, had they not forgotten about our drinks! The food arrived quickly and surprisingly tasted good, especially with the January 50% off food offer. We were also impressed that we did not have to remind them to add the discount to our bill. A lovely night out!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have been here a couple of times now and always been really impressed. The bar itself is decorated so nicely and is a nice combination of classy and modern. I have also eaten here twice and really enjoyed the food both times, incredibly reasonable prices. The cocktail menu is fantastic, but I can see how the bill would grow quickly! The only bad thing I have to say is that I asked for a specific brand of alcohol and they obviously didn't have it and just gave me another instead, I would have preferred if they told me that they didn't have it and I would have picked another drink. On a separate note, I visited with my friend a few months ago (we are both young women) and one of the bar servers brought us some water after our meal and cocktail. I'm not sure whether this was because we are young women and had just had an alcoholic drink and they wanted us to get home safe or something else, but we were both so impressed. Overall, a lovely bar which is great to eat in or just have a drink after work.