“Great atmosphere, friendly service and decent prices”
Review of The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Ranked #78 of 2,344 Restaurants in Manchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A modern bar/restaurant: A celebration of the unconventional, dark and controversial! Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Never eaten here but whenever I am in Manchester I always visit this place. The staff are very friendly and know their product inside out. I've never had a bad experience here. I would say this site on NYS is way better than the one at Spinningfields as that place always smells of over used cooking oil.

Highly recommend

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Have visted this restaurant a number of times over the past year, and always enjoyed the food and drink on offer, so thought this would be a nice christmas treat for 2 of my friends who had never visited before.
They were impressed with the decor and design as they entered the place, loved the selection of food and drink on the menu, were wowed by the cocktails, and commented on how lovely the service was - but every single person dining with us was left underwhelmed by the food. I had the cowboy chilli myself which I had been told was wonderful, and was impressed with how it was served in a tiffin. Upon opening the tiffin I found Chilli that tasted like it had sat there all day, rice that was drastically undercooked (hmmmm, crunchy) and splattered dips and dry, stale nachos. When we were presented with the desert menu we were advised that a number of items wernt available, which I thought to be very bad planning by the chef, it was the last weekend before xmas, almost impossible to book a restaurant in Manchester so one of the busiest times, surley the planning should have been better?
We were given a card to fill out our details by the waitress (Who was wonderful, friendly and attentive at all times) which would then give us 50% off food in January - sadly, I dont think I'll be rushing back any time soon, I think the Grill on New York Street is a much better option

Reviewed December 16, 2013

My friend and I had a meal at the restaurant after going round the Christmas markets. The service was efficient and friendly, we ordered a bottle of Pinotage which was a very nice drop of wine and it was served at the correct temperature. My friend had Thai fish cakes with fries as she doesn't eat meat, there wasn't a great deal of choice for her. I had the fillet steak fajitas, there was a big pile of cooked onions on the plate but not much meat and it looked more like rump steak than fillet. I would eat there again but would try something else next time.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Messed up our Christmas booking. They are just about making money and service be damned! Food average. My advice is give the place a miss!

1  Thank John B
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Arrived here around 9pm on a Friday night and it was very busy, yet we got served really quickly at the bar. The atmosphere is busy and it’s loud, there’s a sense of excitement all around this place. Now to the drinks: it’s so nice to have a good quality cocktail. The bartenders have all the gadgets and gizmos, they look sleek and professional, and they make a mean cocktail. I can’t remember what I had, but it tasted great and I would definitely come here again.

Don’t come here on a Friday night if you want something more chilled, this place is noisy.

My review is based on the drinks, how long we waited, the price, and how good they were. We didn’t eat here, so I’m not basing my review on that.

In short: go here.