The Alchemist
Ranked #76 of 2,368 Restaurants in Manchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A modern bar/restaurant: A celebration of the unconventional, dark and controversial! Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Really nice cocktails with an amazing choice. The only issue I had was there was no where to sit (we ladies like to sit) pre our meal. The restaurant area got noisy as the place filled up. Not sure that the height is the tables is ideal for everyone. Overall a nice experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,228)

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Checked this out for my son who was pointed here for a great meal. Seeing their is another in Spinningfields, perhaps we went to the wrong one. Waited quite some time for drinks order and had to chase for the starters we ordered. That prompted a mad rush to bring the food all at once. It felt like they couldn't wait to move us out, despite not being near busy as it was early. Food was nice, salad option was tiny, not what I would expect from a side dish. Price vs food amounts not too balanced, bit higher than perhaps needed. All in all it was ok, not really bad or good, just average, wouldn't rush back but wouldn't avoid either. Didn't have any cocktails.

Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Overall this place was good, great food, fantastic service, very different but unique atmosphere, just a huge shame about the cocktails.....

Reviewed May 11, 2013

After months of pouring over the online cocktail menu, I finally got the chance to sample a mere sliver of the drinks that The Alchemist has to offer in April this year. We popped into the New York Street branch at my request - as a renowned birthday brat, I had demanded the finest cocktails Manchester had to offer. Unfortunately The Alchemist didn't take the crown.

The interior has, at first glance, the "wow" factor, but at closer inspection left me feeling that a little TLC was required. There are few seats for those who have popped in for a drink, but numerous empty seats reserved for diners. For a bar/restaurant that focuses heavily on the vast array of cocktails on offer, this seemed a bit odd. We visited mid-afternoon on a week day, and struggled to both get a seat.

I felt that the service here was really stand out - the girl who served us really could not do enough to make sure we were happy and that was to our liking. My Husband ordered a pint of beer, but they were having issues with the gas for the tap so he was given a free bottle of Peroni while we waited for them to rectify the problem. You could tell that the barmaid was passionate about the cocktails she was making, which made me feel a little bad for not being overly impressed with my choices!

I ordered two cocktails, and as expected the preparation was impressive - but the drinks were nothing to write home about. Both were pleasant, but I didn't feel that they were worth what I had paid at around £7 each. Despite this, I would return to The Alchemist and give the dozens of other cocktails a go. As the saying goes, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Decided to take the wife for a stay over in Manchester and on recommendation we toook the taxi here. What a great place! Luckily we had put on the glad rags as we were told that its upmarket and it certainly was. Lots of very well dressed people and awesome cocktails.Cant wait to go back....