“Great place for a few drinks”
Review of The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Ranked #77 of 2,325 Restaurants in Manchester
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A modern bar/restaurant: A celebration of the unconventional, dark and controversial! Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

On a long weekend in Manchester with my husband, we discovered this place - we did not eat here but popped in on a very busy Saturday late afternoon for some drinks. The bar looks really beautiful, it has a great, busy, bustling atmosphere and the service was fab - in spite of being so busy, they attended to us quickly, gave us time to check out the wine list and then delivered our drinks quickly and with a great smile. Hugely enjoyed the place and will definitely be back on our next trip to the city.

There are newer reviews for The Alchemist

Reviewed November 4, 2012

At a celebration party after work, reserved a table. Did have to ask/remind the staff for the table. Shared food from the snack menu and a few glasses of wine. Tried the old smokey, great drink at £7.50 you do feel it is a bit special. One of the nicer places in this area for a drink.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I eat in the Alchemist almost every week when in Manchester for business.

This place is phenomenal!!

The staff here are fantastic, they are passionate about what they do and are always up for a chat! Plus are willing to go the extra mile for you!

Must have items on the menu - the duck spring rolls, the cajun chicken fajitas, the steak fajitas then to top it all off I'd have to recommend the sticky toffee pudding - you will not be disappointed.

This place is great for after work or late night drinks with friends - try the smoky old fashioned!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I would not have normally visited this place as we don't like the company that owns The Alchemist (Living Ventures) and their monopoly of Manchester restaurants and bars across the city in their various incarnations. However we were meeting a friend, but I guess now it is going to have to be my guilty pleasure!

VENUE: The venue is great big full length windows let in loads of light and make the place feel spacious whilst giving you the opportunity to people watch. It is much more clearly defined as a restaurant than the Spinningfields site (during the day anyway) which doesn't know what it wants to be.

SERVICE: Service was polite and efficient, the waitresses made our cocktails themselves so we didn't have to wait to be served by the quite busy barman which was good. Only bad thing I would say is the waiting staff could have been a bit more smiley/enthusiastic. They were good at their jobs but didn't seem happy to be there.

FOOD: Brilliant! We only had two sandwiches for lunch (steak sarnie and a club sandwich) and they were both really, really tasty and arrived in a timely manner. My boyfriend was quite surprised when I declared it the best club sandwich I'd ever had, good praise indeed.

COCKTAILS: The cocktail list is innovative and unique. Unlike other bars who put crazy or 'shock' ingredients in their cocktails to look original The Alchemist manages to make different yet delicious cocktails. If you are bored of the same old same old cocktail lists around town, this is the place to go. I was even drawn to the dark side and tried a sip of my boyfriends Passionfruit Mojito (hate Mojitos normally - they're so boring) and liked it that much I was tempted to order it.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Warm & cosy ambiance, disabled friendly, brilliant service, very tasty food and amazing presentation!

As my family and I were going to the theatre, I reserved a table at The Alchemist in Spinningfields a short walk from
The Opera House Theatre. We received a warm welcome and given a choice of tables either very tall ones or regular type - we chose the latter. The sharer plate was plentiful and very tasty. My Mum ordered scampi which came in a bento box wow looked amazing and tasted as good as it looks. I had sea bass with rice. There again lovely presentation and tasted soo good! My step dad had traditional Fish, Chips and mushy peas which he enjoyed. The menu offers a really good selection of cuisines and drinks.

The staff certainly work hard, are warm, friendly and very helpful.

I can't wait to go back!